Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Nudity in Locker Rooms

Default Nudity in Locker Rooms

I don't quite understand why or how exactly it came to be that being naked in a locker room is acceptable. I mean, everywhere else you go in public, you wear clothes; go into a locker room and all that goes out the window and for some strange reason changing out in the open is the norm. I just don't really get it.

After pool time at the YMCA I always change in a toilet stall. I mean, they're called ''private parts'' for a reason and I'm not comfortable putting them on display. To me that's something you do around people you're comfortable with, not whoever's in the locker room.

I'm not comfortable with the idea that someone I don't know could get aroused from seeing my private parts, as in my personal moral code that is a privilege that is shared only with a special person.

I remember a time when I was about six years old, my dad had just bought me a Rugrats Movie sweatshirt. We went to my grandmother and uncle's house afterwards where my dad helped me change into it in front of my uncle. For some reason, this moment has stuck in my mind with a vague sense of discomfort, even though of course I was just a little kid with no breast development. Then of course there was the time I was eight at Lake Erie and my mom had me change into my bathing suit on the beach; we were farther down from the other people because we had a dog with us, but I'm sure I was still pretty visible...

private parts are private, how young of age you are
    does not make a difference,

i always hated to be nude with other people, even when i was little, because my dad had trown me out of the house bare naked in the freezing cold because i wetted the bed, i'm petrified to be naked,
    maybe this is also a cause to be diapered all the time, not to be naked or as little time possible

I never got it either. Having roommates in college is no better. I woke up one morning to my roommate humping his bed, which I totally did not need.

It's a social convention that we wear clothes even when they're not necessary (warm climates) and it's likewise a social convention that there are places (like locker rooms) where they aren't needed. I think by force of habit, people try to get it done with pretty rapidly but in school we'd have been there past the bell if everyone needed to change in a stall. It's a matter of practicality. I don't particularly care if someone uses a stall when there's no time or occupancy pressures.

If I were using a locker room right now, I suppose I'd be inclined to use a stall but I'm 24/7. Last time I went to a public pool, I wasn't wearing, and I got changed in the room as I have always done.

When my dad started taking me to the Y in the late Paleolithic era.... it was men only (Young Mens Christian Association...). So not only was nudity in the locker room the norm, nude swimming was the rule, except during swim meets when moms and female spectators were allowed in. More hygenic if you think about it. Nude showers, no clothing to carry crud into the pool.

I still don't bother with changing stalls at the Y or at the park district pools. Nobody's ever said anything. If they looked at me funny, I wouldn't know. Once I take my glasses off, I can't make out facial expressions unless they're really close. I guess it's all a matter of what you're used to.

While visiting Japan, I and my friends visited a local hot spring. We were nude in front of one another for the first time, and also in front of total strangers who didn't even speak English! It was normal in Japanese hot springs to be nude, so no one even batted an eye... I just had to get over my own personal embarrassment and awkwardness.

That said, I've not visited the Y nor used a locker room in quite a long time. But I'm normally a very private person and would likely feel uncomfortable in such a place. Japan was something of an exception to the rule...

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphyre View Post
    While visiting Japan, I and my friends visited a local hot spring. We were nude in front of one another for the first time, and also in front of total strangers who didn't even speak English! It was normal in Japanese hot springs to be nude, so no one even batted an eye... I just had to get over my own personal embarrassment and awkwardness.

That said, I've not visited the Y nor used a locker room in quite a long time. But I'm normally a very private person and would likely feel uncomfortable in such a place. Japan was something of an exception to the rule...
    If I ever got to visit Japan, I think a hot spring/bathhouse might also be the one place where I would make an exception if I could work up the courage.

Of course, there might be some difficulty in finding one that will take a tattooed patron, because of the association of tattoos with the yakuza.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    When my dad started taking me to the Y in the late Paleolithic era.... it was men only (Young Mens Christian Association...). So not only was nudity in the locker room the norm, nude swimming was the rule, except during swim meets when moms and female spectators were allowed in. More hygenic if you think about it. Nude showers, no clothing to carry crud into the pool.

I still don't bother with changing stalls at the Y or at the park district pools. Nobody's ever said anything. If they looked at me funny, I wouldn't know. Once I take my glasses off, I can't make out facial expressions unless they're really close. I guess it's all a matter of what you're used to.
    Whatever is carried into my local Y's pool is immediately nuked by the fifty thousand gallons of chlorine I think they pour into it daily, probably because you can get in in your street clothes and they don't give a shit.

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaWolfNagihiko View Post
    If I ever got to visit Japan, I think a hot spring/bathhouse might also be the one place where I would make an exception if I could work up the courage.

Of course, there might be some difficulty in finding one that will take a tattooed patron, because of the association of tattoos with the yakuza.
    It's been a few years since I visited, but you'd not likely have a problem at all. ^.^ I was quite surprised at how accepting they were of me simply for being a foreigner. It was very much an "everyone minds their own business" mindset, and I appreciated that.

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphyre View Post
    It's been a few years since I visited, but you'd not likely have a problem at all. ^.^ I was quite surprised at how accepting they were of me simply for being a foreigner. It was very much an "everyone minds their own business" mindset, and I appreciated that.
    I'm not quite sure it's truly ''acceptance'' rather than ''politeness''. From what I've read about Japan, while they'll be sure to treat foreigners well, deep inside they will never quite view you the same way they view their own.

Quote Originally Posted by KimbaWolfNagihiko View Post
    I'm not quite sure it's truly ''acceptance'' rather than ''politeness''. From what I've read about Japan, while they'll be sure to treat foreigners well, deep inside they will never quite view you the same way they view their own.
    That is true. I saw that as well. When I traveled by train alone, no one would sit adjacent to me. The train could be full of people standing, but they still wouldn't sit to either side of the foreigner. Apparently I have cooties or something.