Status
Not open for further replies.

OriginalT

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Little
  3. Carer
Personally I don't under stand the appeal of mittens or plastic pants. (mittens aren't even good for actual babies) maybe its because I didnt' grow up with any of the above. Could someone explain the appeal of these things in their own words? How were you introduced to these?

I think I like mittens because they were always attached to my coat as a <5 year old so they remind me of being that young. But I'm talking real mittens for cold weather, not so much as fetish or anything. I will say that wearing mittens with footed pjs can be nice. That has to do with not being able to properly use your fingers and is also like if the feet in the pjs were also over the hands. Plastic pants I only like out of necessity. They curb leaks and if you don't use noisy ones, they can silence a diaper.

Plastic pants are very functional so if you are asking why someone would wear plastic pants when they are not functionally needed, then I think the answer is that they help remind a person of when they were a baby and in plastic pants.

As to function - plastic pants help to contain smell, they are needed if using cloth diapers and they can help some with disposables.

Mittens are worn by real babies and not just when it's cold. Their fingernails can be sharp and they can scratch themselves in the face. I don't know how commonly they're used but I have seen this at least once with a real baby whose parents had no ABDL contacts. On the ABDL side, the reasoning is to make adult hands more clumsy with more babylike function.

Plastic pants (or some kind of barrier pants) are necessary with cloth diapers. They have some use with disposables but since there's nothing to absorb the wetness, the risk remains but is delayed in that case. They're required with cloth diapers since otherwise, there's nothing to stop the wetness. I like plastic pants better than cloth diapers. They're an interesting accessory but I don't get that many opportunities to use them since I prefer disposables overall.

OriginalT said:
Personally I don't under stand the appeal of mittens or plastic pants. (mittens aren't even good for actual babies) maybe its because I didnt' grow up with any of the above. Could someone explain the appeal of these things in their own words? How were you introduced to these?

Plastic Pants are easy to answer outside the obvious fetish or fashion reasons many have but their main appeal is the fact that they can save your clothes, floor or bed from leaking meaning you don't have to worry about your diaper toooo much during the night if you have actual IC or if you tend to leak to most absorbent of diapers.

Mittens I think do have an association with lose of adult worries to a sense given as Trevor said theyre meant to prevent babies from scratching their faces and generally most Littles tend to think about regressing as losing all sense of worry for anything around them and letting the caretaker deal with it, plus I guess warmth would be appealing too.

Trevor said:
Mittens are worn by real babies and not just when it's cold. Their fingernails can be sharp and they can scratch themselves in the face. I don't know how commonly they're used but I have seen this at least once with a real baby whose parents had no ABDL contacts. On the ABDL side, the reasoning is to make adult hands more clumsy with more babylike function..

I know they are used to keep babies from scratching themselves, but its not needed. babies actually need to learn how to stop scratching themselves, and will. from what ive seen they are essentially useless (unless trying to keep warm, but even then tucking arms in a swaddle or blanket works probably better). I guess I could see AB/DLs using them for a sense of less control or feeling of saftey.

OriginalT said:
I know they are used to keep babies from scratching themselves, but its not needed. babies actually need to learn how to stop scratching themselves, and will. from what ive seen they are essentially useless (unless trying to keep warm, but even then tucking arms in a swaddle or blanket works probably better). I guess I could see AB/DLs using them for a sense of less control or feeling of saftey.

I don't know. If you have a baby, particularly with an itchy rash, I think as a parent you might prefer that rather than possibly giving themselves an injury, mittens would be preferred to a possible scar. We protect kids all the time from things they're too inexperienced to defend themselves from. This seems the same.

Babies aren't good with their hands yet, and can't do simple things like getting dressed, they're dependent on their caregivers for so many things. Mittens on AB's prevent them from using their hands for the most part, and make them more dependent on their caregivers. They can't change their own diaper if it needs it, someone has to change their diaper for them. I'm pretty sure that forced-dependency is the major attraction of mittens for ABs

Mittens would keep babies from sucking their thumbs or fingers, though I do not know if that is the intent.

Maxx said:
You'll typically see it on really young infants. It's not so much to stop them from intentionally scratching themselves, its more that their motor control is pretty random.

I can't say if it's scientifically proven to be necessary, but it is common.

That and baby fingernails are usually sharp enough to jab up their face if they start flailing around. You need to keep those cut and/or go with mittens.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back