Status
Not open for further replies.

Slomo

Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
This is really a question for anyone that has gotten their diapers covered through the VA. Were you able to get decent or premium diapers, and if so how?

I have been able to get the VA to supply me with "extra absorbent diapers", but not for any one specific brand. My problem is their east coast distributor keeps wanting to send me the cheapest, barely-absorbent diapers they can (those blue wings diapers of course)

I've talked with them, and explained what they are sending me does not meet the description of what I'm supposed to get. The distributor is willing to work with me to get what I need, but apparently doesn't have any authorized dealers for them. Specifically I am hoping for confidry or northshore, but can settle for something like plastic backed molicare or even plastic backed abena (if they are even still available). I mentioned xpmedical, but apparenty they aren't on the approved list.

So, has anyone had any luck getting getting good diapers through the va or are they all mid and low grade crap?

I have read where folks say they get the better ones through the VA but you how the web is full of B/Sers. I do know one vet personally he gets cloth ones through the VA

I get Abena m4 through the VA from XP Medical. I had to try all the formulary options first, then told them that they were causing me skin irritation (diaper rash) and constant leaks. I was able to do it all through the online myhealthyvet. I've heard others who got the same by talking to people in the pharmacy. Mainly just be persistent and polite, and tell them why the current diaper is insufficient for your needs.

MarcusP said:
I get Abena m4 through the VA from XP Medical. I had to try all the formulary options first, then told them that they were causing me skin irritation (diaper rash) and constant leaks. I was able to do it all through the online myhealthyvet. I've heard others who got the same by talking to people in the pharmacy. Mainly just be persistent and polite, and tell them why the current diaper is insufficient for your needs.

Ok, it looks like that's the exact direction I'm already heading in, and she wanted to know if I had tried depends yet. I told her in the past 20 years I've probably tried every kind out there. Depends, and most others like them, are designed for slight leakage not full blown incontinence. Especially so for any cloth backed diaper.

I also had to dispel the "just change more often" myth too. I explained the less absorbent they are, the less they can absorb a full bladder release and will leak even upon the first wetting. Add in the less absorbent they are, the more often you are taking them to a leak point, and the more likely they are to actually leak even before becoming saturated.

Conversely, more absorbent diapers last much longer therefore needing fewer changes and therefore costing less overall on a per day basis. Add in taking thrm to a leak point less often, and they become more reliable too. Since this is the whole point of a diaper in the first place, any one that can't do this consistently fails as a diaper and is unusable.

They did say abriform (and molicare) was an available vendor. I told them as long as it's plastic backed (nothing cloth like for sure), then those are just barely enough to work for my needs, and would be ok. They are still checking on availability.

And yeah, confidry through the va would be the most ideal (cheaper overall, and better performing), but that might just be a pipe dream. Too bad too.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit, on second thought I already know abena is not enough for me- for overnight as I'm a side sleeper. Oh well, will deal with that once I at least get something that should work for during the day.

Slomo said:
Ok, it looks like that's the exact direction I'm already heading in, and she wanted to know if I had tried depends yet. I told her in the past 20 years I've probably tried every kind out there. Depends, and most others like them, are designed for slight leakage not full blown incontinence. Especially so for any cloth backed diaper.

I also had to dispel the "just change more often" myth too. I explained the less absorbent they are, the less they can absorb a full bladder release and will leak even upon the first wetting. Add in the less absorbent they are, the more often you are taking them to a leak point, and the more likely they are to actually leak even before becoming saturated.

Conversely, more absorbent diapers last much longer therefore needing fewer changes and therefore costing less overall on a per day basis. Add in taking thrm to a leak point less often, and they become more reliable too. Since this is the whole point of a diaper in the first place, any one that can't do this consistently fails as a diaper and is unusable.

They did say abriform (and molicare) was an available vendor. I told them as long as it's plastic backed (nothing cloth like for sure), then those are just barely enough to work for my needs, and would be ok. They are still checking on availability.

And yeah, confidry through the va would be the most ideal (cheaper overall, and better performing), but that might just be a pipe dream. Too bad too.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit, on second thought I already know abena is not enough for me- for overnight as I'm a side sleeper. Oh well, will deal with that once I at least get something that should work for during the day.

https://www.va.gov/nac/MedSurg/List A26- a though C

also read here and ask lots of question http://www.incontinentsupport.org/phpBB3

I start this journey next week with my new VA DR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back