Yugioh Duelists! Thoughts On Link Monsters And If Your Deck Will Survive?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noodle

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
So I'm sure ADISC is bound to happen a good number of YGO players that have played in the current meta, so I was wondering what do you think about the upcoming Link additions, rule changes and will your deck survive?

I personally play Morphtronics, a Fairy Burn(Not ritual) and a Frightfur deck and honestly I don't see anything surviving unless they add more support for them for the updated format which I doubt since they will no longer be the marketed archetypes with the Vrains Anime.

To answer your questions on link monsters, The mechanics and ruleset changes nerf the overpowered feel of pendulum monsters. Whenever I pit my Exodia/Egyptian God or Chaos Dragon Deck against pendulums I would get creamed (also fire fist was horrible to vs in my Dragon focused deck). Ever since the pendulums came on the scene, I have not been working with the updated rule sets. Instead I have been using a tournament legal deck, but with the ruleset before the "no draw on first turn" rule was adopted. I have been playing against other friends who feel that pendulums and link summons are game breaking for those using traditional and extra deck type decks. Since I play ignoring the new changes since that point, If I were to play against a link summoning deck, I would probably be creamed just like pendulums before it.

My Two Decks are:
Chaos Dragon (Control/Beatdown)
Egyptian God/Exodia (Delay/Lockdown)

AustinTheLionhearted said:
To answer your questions on link monsters, The mechanics and ruleset changes nerf the overpowered feel of pendulum monsters. Whenever I pit my Exodia/Egyptian God or Chaos Dragon Deck against pendulums I would get creamed (also fire fist was horrible to vs in my Dragon focused deck). Ever since the pendulums came on the scene, I have not been working with the updated rule sets. Instead I have been using a tournament legal deck, but with the ruleset before the "no draw on first turn" rule was adopted. I have been playing against other friends who feel that pendulums and link summons are game breaking for those using traditional and extra deck type decks. Since I play ignoring the new changes since that point, If I were to play against a link summoning deck, I would probably be creamed just like pendulums before it.

My Two Decks are:
Chaos Dragon (Control/Beatdown)
Egyptian God/Exodia (Delay/Lockdown)

Yeah I feel the new ruleset will be game breaking for a while but not due to the intro of more powercreep if anything I feel this new rule set will keep the powercreep of every deck that has spawned from GX to Arc V in check. I already know many decks will feel the hit hard since they will have to modify themselves to introduce Link Monsters to even start any kind of Special Summoning spam due to the Single SS Zone for each player at the start but this does pose a problem for existing decks if they don't have any support that isn't reliant on spamming the field with Extra Deck Zone monsters since it will significantly slow down their play style. In my opinion your decks will probably not suffer much from the new rule set since it will allow you to actually have some setup while your opponent has to build up their Special Zones which at times from what I've seen can give you some additional zones for Extra as well and yeah RIP Pendelums you will not be missed.

Noodle said:
Yeah I feel the new ruleset will be game breaking for a while but not due to the intro of more powercreep if anything I feel this new rule set will keep the powercreep of every deck that has spawned from GX to Arc V in check. I already know many decks will feel the hit hard since they will have to modify themselves to introduce Link Monsters to even start any kind of Special Summoning spam due to the Single SS Zone for each player at the start but this does pose a problem for existing decks if they don't have any support that isn't reliant on spamming the field with Extra Deck Zone monsters since it will significantly slow down their play style. In my opinion your decks will probably not suffer much from the new rule set since it will allow you to actually have some setup while your opponent has to build up their Special Zones which at times from what I've seen can give you some additional zones for Extra as well and yeah RIP Pendelums you will not be missed.

By the way, My chaos deck uses a lot of special summoned monsters from the extra deck (i.e. Five Headed Dragon and Red Eyes Flare Metal Dragon). Especially those related to the Fang of Critias and Claw of Hermos (i.e. Red Eyes Black Dragon Sword, Mirror Force Dragon and Tyrant Burst Dragon). They are essential combos for me along with the combo for Syncro summoning Dragocytos the Corrupted Nethersoul Dragon. I also recently acquired Blue Eyes Chaos Max Dragon and the ritual spell card along with Lord of the Red for summoning with Red eyes Darkness Metal Dragon.

I'd love to comment, but I haven't been up to date on the meta in a long time. I still run Lightsworn.

ClandestineWing said:
I'd love to comment, but I haven't been up to date on the meta in a long time. I still run Lightsworn.
Well definitely would be the best time to check on the game, its about to go through a whole ruleset changing that will essentially slow down the game from the fast paced Special Summon duels that have been around since 5Ds

I haven't played Yu-Gi-Oh! in years. When I got my first set of pendulums I couldn't understand how they work. Now this game just got too confusing for me, so I quit playing.

I play YGOPRO, although I wouldn't call myself meta. I mainly run a masked heroes and a scrap deck.

Don't really understand how drastic the change will be, if the main difference is the one SS Zone then I don't think it'll be a problem for me, cause those decks focus more on swapping (or in scrap's case replacing) one special summoned monster with another.

- - - Updated - - -

Onesieman said:
I haven't played Yu-Gi-Oh! in years. When I got my first set of pendulums I couldn't understand how they work. Now this game just got too confusing for me, so I quit playing.

I had the same experience. I lost interest half way through 5ds and only discovered YGOPRO a year or so ago, had no idea what a pendulum monster was.

In my case I was such a big Yu-Gi-Oh fan back in the days of GX that I looked up how they worked, but it's more than understandable that someone in that position wouldn't bother.

Onesieman said:

Thats fair, not much to it now since they will be removing the rulings of Pendulums with their current Pendulums Zones and just treat them as Magic Hybrids you can place in the Spell/Trap Zones to do their Scale business.

Shadow456 said:
I play YGOPRO, although I wouldn't call myself meta. I mainly run a masked heroes and a scrap deck.

Don't really understand how drastic the change will be, if the main difference is the one SS Zone then I don't think it'll be a problem for me, cause those decks focus more on swapping (or in scrap's case replacing) one special summoned monster with another.

- - - Updated - - -

I had the same experience. I lost interest half way through 5ds and only discovered YGOPRO a year or so ago, had no idea what a pendulum monster was.

In my case I was such a big Yu-Gi-Oh fan back in the days of GX that I looked up how they worked, but it's more than understandable that someone in that position wouldn't bother.

The changes will slow down the game considerably from what we have gotten used to. The new zone will pretty much become the zone to add more Link Monsters to which open your regular zones as SS zones so if you have decks that rely on spamming the field with Extra Deck Monsters you will have to adapt Link monsters into your deck to open up more zones for it. Its why Ojamas are predicted to be one of the heavy hitters this ruleset since they can shut down monster card zones.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back