Thread: London acid attacks

Default London acid attacks

I'm scared that I am going to just be walking down the street and somebody is going to pass by on a motor bike and throw acid in my face, I heard of the news today about 2 Muslim guys who got acid thrown in their faces as a hate crime.

I'm just scared these acid throwers will target just about anybody and I don't want to be afraid of leaving my house just in case that's going to happen.

I live in around the Stockport area, so is my fears rational?

Quote Originally Posted by Angelic View Post
    I'm scared that I am going to just be walking down the street and somebody is going to pass by on a motor bike and throw acid in my face, I heard of the news today about 2 Muslim guys who got acid thrown in their faces as a hate crime.

I'm just scared these acid throwers will target just about anybody and I don't want to be afraid of leaving my house just in case that's going to happen.

Are you the type of person that sticks out in public? Most acid attacks are not random, but specifically targeted. As long as you're not making yourself a target for hate crimes, they you'll be just fine.

Having acid thrown in your face is life altering.

Much like winning the lottery.

I think you have better odds with the lottery?

With that said, the recent Acid Attacks, and their targeting of at least one middle eastern man, are truly SUB-HUMAN.

The attackers are young teens, and teenage stupidity is the only qualifying mark towards leniency.

MassIncon

hmmm not sure. It's usually the muslims that are the ones throwing acid in people's (women's) faces.

Why isn't it a "hate crime" when muslims scream out "allahu akbar" and then savagely kill non muslims specifically for being non muslim?

You're afraid of it only now that a non-muslim teenager did it, but you aren't worried you'll be mowed down by a truck or blown to bits by a bomb from an islamic terrorist? Seems one scenario is quite a bit more likely than the other, even if both are, on the whole, not very likely to happen to you.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MommyandMattling View Post

With that said, the recent Acid Attacks, and their targeting of at least one middle eastern man, are truly SUB-HUMAN.

The attackers are young teens, and teenage stupidity is the only qualifying mark towards leniency.
    Agree. But leniency is not deserved. Teenagers making stupid mistakes like drinking and drying and shoplifting might merit a one time slap on the wrist. Being young is not an excuse to throw acid in someone's face. That's not a mistake. That's a truly horrible and disgusting person committing a heinous crime. Little brat should go to jail for 20 years.

You should be more afraid of a thousand other things...like having an accident at home or getting mugged.

The law of averages of you not being attacked are significantly in your favor. You're 99.999999999999 percent safe.

Quote Originally Posted by pampersguy View Post
    You should be more afraid of a thousand other things...like having an accident at home or getting mugged.
    {levity} Well, that should ease the 'ol anxiety... from one sort of fret to another but, hey... we won't worry as much about an acid bath now... so, that problem's solved... Surprised you didn't cover lightning-strikes

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by MassIncon View Post
    [...] stupid mistakes like drinking and drying [...]
    {Levity} That, must be why, my clothes are so wrinkled!

- - - Updated - - -

I'm scared that I am going to just be walking down the street and somebody is going to pass by on a motor bike and throw acid in my face, I heard of the news today [...] so is my fears rational?
    Angelic,

What has actually changed for you since watching this on the news?
    From one who used to have Panic-Attacks and, still am considered to have Generalized Anxiety Disorder...
    Take the ball back into your own court... If you never watched the news... what would you be afraid of then?

The fact of the matter is... There are no practical guarantees in life... (oh, maybe the ones about death and perhaps, taxes - and that's somewhat subject to belief and evasion)...

There's statistics... plain 'ol guessing and, fear of the unknown... Yet, basically... there's what happens when it happens, to those it happens to and, where they happen to be when it happens... Period.

To what ends, shall your means of fear take you?

Understand too, your fear may actually be an aspect of your empathy, sympathy and, sensitivity... so, set it right - mourn and contemplate - be damned glad, it wasn't you!

Continue on with your life? [ ]Yes or [ ] No?
    Use your senses and sensitivities for the good!

Be well and safe,
    -Marka