Not open for further replies.

Sapphyre

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Diaperfur
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
There's a thunderstorm rolling through; the first one of the season here actually.

I keep telling myself NOT to go outside to watch it. But I want to. I want to feel the drop in air pressure, the wind, the smell of the rain, hear the crispness of the thunder, etc.

I've always been drawn to storms like this, even when I was a kid. Anyone else?

I love thunderstorms even just rain in general, there's something about them the combination of rain, thunder and lighting. And yes I love watching them (especially the lightning strikes).

I remember when I was younger during the summer, it was hot and then one day a massive thunderstorm, I went out in it just wearing t-shirt and shorts (It was really hot), loved it.

Also I sometimes listen to rain/storm noise when doing work (http://rainymood.com/)

Nope. I'm the opposite. I've lived the western US most of my life but I spent a couple years as a teen in Ohio where the thunderstorms are much more scary than the ones I was used to. Thunder scares the hell out of me. Once a tree was hit a block away and it sounded like dynamite going off right outside. I don't like the unpredictability of storms. In fact, the last one that rolled through a couple weeks ago made me hide it out in virtual reality for a while. LOL.

We could actually use a thunderstorm here right now, as we're in the middle of a drought.

I love thunderstorms and rain in general. I could sit on the porch for hours and watch a storm and I sleep so well when there is a storm going at night. If the storm is to severe I love watching them through the window. I enjoy nice weather but really love the occasional day when it rains all day long.

Sapphyre said:
I've always been drawn to storms like this, even when I was a kid. Anyone else?

Oh yeah! I love a good TS. I like the weather so much I took college classes in it. Let's discuss weather anytime.

I have a sound machine set to a tropical thunderstorm. I have a difficult time sleeping without it, most due to my tinitus, but still it adds a sense oneness with nature for me.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit, oh and I find getting used to the "random" cracks of thunder helps me get past other noises in the night (such as my dog or wife getting up).

Maxx said:
I would probably enjoy it if I could purge my mind of all the possible things I'd have to deal with during and after: Exploding trees, bucket brigade vs. going out and wrestling with the generator to keep the sump pump and freezer going, going up on the roof to fix a leak, or blown away chimney cover,

It's weird how our possessions come to own us, isn't it?

I generally like thunder storms. I can remember as a kid being out on the porch during a thunder storm. You could smell the ozone in the air from the lightning strikes. I have to second what Tommycombs said though. I was in a tornado in Ohio, and more recently, a Deracho here in Virginia. We were without power for 7 days, and the temperature never got below 98 degrees. Our neighbors house was leveled by a giant tree. Now a new house sits where the old one was. Storms seem to have gotten a lot more violent as of late. The Chicago area just got 10 inches of rain. I don't think that happens very often.

dogboy said:
I generally like thunder storms. I can remember as a kid being out on the porch during a thunder storm. You could smell the ozone in the air from the lightning strikes. I have to second what Tommycombs said though. I was in a tornado in Ohio, and more recently, a Deracho here in Virginia. We were without power for 7 days, and the temperature never got below 98 degrees. Our neighbors house was leveled by a giant tree. Now a new house sits where the old one was. Storms seem to have gotten a lot more violent as of late. The Chicago area just got 10 inches of rain. I don't think that happens very often.
I remember being about 14 or 15 and having to race home from a park a mile or so away. So I peddled my little bike as fast as I could, with nasty orange thunderclouds following right behind me. We get the occasional storm here in the Pacific Northwest but those Ohio ones are a different breed.

I have a passion for supercell storms. There is a erie art and beauty to them... Providing it occurs in daylight. I don't like big storms I can't see, those can scare me a bit.

Me, definitely. I've always LOVED thunderstorms and lighting and rain and everything about it is the best. The smell beforehand and after is like no other.The quick and intricate beauty of lightning and the deep boom of lighting you feel in your chest.the way rain feels and looks. beautiful cloud patterns. its all my favorite thing in the world i would give anything for thunderstorms.

OriginalT said:
Me, definitely. I've always LOVED thunderstorms and lighting and rain and everything about it is the best. The smell beforehand and after is like no other.The quick and intricate beauty of lightning and the deep boom of lighting you feel in your chest.the way rain feels and looks. beautiful cloud patterns. its all my favorite thing in the world i would give anything for thunderstorms.

I'm not alone. ^.^

Miss thunderstorms. Hadn't heard thunder in years, before the trip bringing my plane to SoCal from North Carolina. Never been so glad to have ADS-B weather and an onboard storm scope. Put down in Odessa to wait out some weather and was glad I was conservative; what was hints of green and yellow on the radar became a sidways-rain all-sky lightning shitshow a few hours later.

The summer where I live is really shitty due to rain and storms this year.
Once a thunder hit a tree of our neighbors. Although our house was pretty sound protected it made a horrible "boom". Our cat, sleeping on the sofa, immediately fell down...still don't know how this worked, like one second she was on it, next she was laying on the floor. A bird sitting in the tree was fried, you could see the steaming bird laying on the ground.
I'd be careful around storms. It can be very dangerous!

One of the reasons I hate thunderstorms is also when it wakes you up at night with a loud KABOOM! Sometimes if it is stormy when I go to bed, I'll actually sleep with earplugs in. I do however, like the clean smelling air after a good rain.

Tommycombs said:
One of the reasons I hate thunderstorms is also when it wakes you up at night with a loud KABOOM! Sometimes if it is stormy when I go to bed, I'll actually sleep with earplugs in. I do however, like the clean smelling air after a good rain.

It's a little hard to explain, but to me it's actually comforting. I don't appreciate being woken generally, but the startle response is quickly overcome when I realize what woke me -- it's just a storm, not something serious like an intruder -- and then I sort of feel like I've been invited to watch and witness it. I've seen some amazing lightning before.

My favorite thing about thunderstorms is rain hitting a tin roof. I love the sound and smell of the air. Puts me right to sleep

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back