Curious about wearing for the first time

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleKae

Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
Hi everyone! I've been really curious about diapers for about two years now, wanting to wear again them since I was like 8 or so.

I've been thinking about wearing for the first time on a camping trip that's in less than a week but I don't know what I'm looking for or what I'd buy!

I'm a small gal, around like 120lbs or so. I'd wear a small for sure in adult sizes...and would be looking for something that can be bought at a Walmart or Walgreens or something and worn overnight if I need to pee or anything in the middle of the night. Last year I had to get up multiple times in the night and the bathroom is so far away from my campsite.

Does anyone have any good advice for me? I'm nervous and want to sleep in them for sure. I could test them out at home first to make sure it won't leak.

In store wise only thing i could suggest are either goodnites or depends.

What i will say though is most of what you are going to find in-store isnt going to hold very much and you will run the risk of leaks especially since you are going to wear for overnight. If buying online is an option for you I'd first check out Northshorecare's website. They have quite a few diaper brands in youth and small sizes. I'm not sure if they have officially rolled their small sizes out yet but i'd check out ABUniverse as well.
Both websites provide discrete shipping and if you order from Northshorecare they will provide you with 2 free random samples.

If you have more questions feel free to ask or pm me.

Thanks for your reply! :D

Aren't the goodnights for kids? I'm just curious, I wouldn't mind them! They have some pretty cool designs. Is there a way to get a trial-size or anything that you know of?

Haha. Yeah they are for kids/teens but with you weighting around 120lbs their L/XL should fit you fine.

As far trial sizing. I'm assuming you mean samples so you can test out a few to see what you like.
In-store you will not find samples. But if you wanted to get a sample of goodnites or depends im pretty sure both ship free samples. Northshorecare also offers samples for a few bucks but ive heard from other members if you contact them saying you are trying to find whats right for you and what fits you best they will send you a couple free samples.

LittleKae said:
Hi everyone! I've been really curious about diapers for about two years now, wanting to wear again them since I was like 8 or so.

I've been thinking about wearing for the first time on a camping trip that's in less than a week but I don't know what I'm looking for or what I'd buy!

I'm a small gal, around like 120lbs or so. I'd wear a small for sure in adult sizes...and would be looking for something that can be bought at a Walmart or Walgreens or something and worn overnight if I need to pee or anything in the middle of the night. Last year I had to get up multiple times in the night and the bathroom is so far away from my campsite.

Does anyone have any good advice for me? I'm nervous and want to sleep in them for sure. I could test them out at home first to make sure it won't leak.

Depends on what you need besides just a diaper in the long run.

Do you want something discreet? Since you claim to be on the small side you could go for things like Goodnites and use that to cover the need but you would likely need something stronger given youre an adult. I would recommend Northshores or Molicares (Especially if you want to go for cheaper cost). For samples you can go to the Goodnites site and ask for one there, not sure for adults.

LittleKae said:

Just a side-note addressing only this part of your post - camping may not be the best way to get re-introduced to diapers. Privacy can be surprisingly poor while camping, and disposal of used diapers (wet OR dry) is often problematic. Clean diapers are obviously easier to store than wet. I would suggest you only wet them on the last few nights, so you have fewer problems with storage of wet diapers over time.

Also, it'd be quite risky to expect a store grade diaper to hold multiple wettings overnight. If you're going to try to use your diaper all night every night, I'd suggest going with a much better grade of diaper. Maybe an ABU Simple or Little Paws, or Safari. Just make sure you've got storage/disposal figured out. In addition to being smelly, wet diapers are also bulky and surprisingly heavy. A week's wet diapers could weigh in at 2-3 gallons (and several cubic feet) if you're going a lot. I use "drum liner" trash bags from the hardware store for storage and transport. Get the good ones, preferably in black. (not silver) They're very thick and large. Bring a can of air freshener for the tent and to spray in the bag. Use lotsa powder. ;)

Since you are the size/weight of a teen, I would go with Goodnights. I'm 155 & they fit snug, but work. For you, they should last the night I would think. I've used them at night, sometimes I can go all thru the night, but other times I have to change. But I weigh 35 lbs more & likely more volume than you would.

One other thing no one has yet mentioned in the sanitary side of diapering while camping. As someone who has done a lot of camping I know that showers aren't always available. You are going to want to take wet wipes with you to get you cleaned up. Someone new to diapers doesn't exactly think about how many skin irritants are in urine. Your skin doesn't like being wet. Which is why good diapers (baby or adult) pull the moisture deep into the diapers core. A cheaper store brand or good nights while they may absorb it are going to let that moisture stay against your skin. The other irritant is just the chemicals in urine in general. If left on the skin can become a huge irritant.

TLDR;
Take wet wipes and diaper rash cream to keep you clean and help prevent or cure any rash. Buy better diapers if you can, it'll be more comforable for you. Unless this is a solo camping trip diapers in a tent are going to be anything but discrete. Good luck and have fun.

LittleKae said:

I would say Goodnites as you are still small enough to fit in them without issue.

Search online to se if there are any medical supply stores near you. They usually carry much better diaper than the crap you will find in most stores.

And at 120 lbs you are a bit over the 100lb rating for goodnites. They "might" just barely fit you if you also have a small enough waist size. Even if you can get them on correctly though, you will be just a little over for their capacity. You "might" be able to get one average wetting in them, but that would be pushing it.

Camping in diapers can be practical for the reason you mention, and they can be fun for diaper nuts like us.

Buy Goodnites since you are curious about them. Why not, hey?

I would suggest buying size 6 Baby Dry pampers too. They're unlikely to fit you as intended but you can stuff them in your underwear or your Goodnites. They actually have a greater capacity than the Goodnites.

Since you apparently wake up to pee anyway you can decide at any given time to change if necessary. Goodnites make a quick change easy and you still avoid the middle of the night walk through the monster infested wilderness. Peeing while lying down could cause either diaper to leak out the back so testing them in advance like you say makes good sense. You can then make adjustments to how you intend to use them, such as what position to assume.

All diapers have a limit as to how much they can hold. Baby/youth diapers, and cheap, store brand adult diapers, aren't the best choice if leak resistance is a top consideration, but if enjoyment is your goal you should be able to have fun experimenting.

Adult diapers are a viable option, too, even cheap store brands. Since you are experimenting, depending on how much you are willing to spend, you could try any or all combinations. You can also try one style on this trip and test out different styles later on, at home or on another camping trip. The better quality adult diapers are nice but this is kind of short notice to be buying them for your trip. Save that for when you have more time for comparison shopping.

Anyhow, have fun with whatever diaper you choose to play with first.

may want to go to a med supply store and get some tena, or youth attends if available.

I recommend getting some samples on Parentgiving.

if your going for a store brand diaper then. id have to suggest either tape on depends or maybe even the refastenable ones. otherwise goodnights and i hear that walgreens brand aren't horrible. if you just want to wear at night and you will be using it consciously meaning you wake up and go. then you will be fine with a store bought diaper for now. depends with tabs will hold at least 1 full wetting if not two, but definitely no more than 2.

the problem here is that most store brand diapers are cheaply made and only designed to hold 1 full wetting or a few hours of constant leakage if your incontinent. a premium brand (usually ordered online)like probably 75% of us use will be far better designed and hold at least 3 full wettings in most cases. meaning that one diaper can get you through and entire night and the next morning with ease.

Based on my experience, and given your size, you'd probably be better off using Girl's Goodnites. They'll be a better buy than adult ones (can probably print a coupon form here: http://bit.ly/2tXFIO5) and they'll still hold up just as good no matter what you do in your diaper. Hope that helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back