Older Vinyl Footed Blanket Sleepers

Status
Not open for further replies.
AustinTheLionhearted said:
My Mom kept one of my old blanket sleepers and one of my onesies for 'posterity' in a trunk filled with other items of my babyhood in the guest room. The brand was Carters and she got them from the old "Once Upon a Child" chain.

That's pretty cool that she held onto them. Do you have any pics of that blanket sleeper?

- - - Updated - - -

Marka said:
I think that you'll have to have them custom-made, to wear for yourself... otherwise, estate sales that would be more likely to have (archived) clothing of that vintage because, I believe they stopped making the vinyl soles with toe-caps, early to mid 80's.

I recall wearing plain-yellow ones around the mid-70's myself. I think the heat from the dryer would make the vinyl, somewhat brittle and cause the cracking and peeling of said vinyl... which I would pick at, as though it were a hobby ;).

They were simply hazardous especially on shag-carpeted stairs (like stepping on a banana-peel!). That, and the cracking and peeling is why they discontinued the vinyl and, I think they generally stopped making the toe-caps to reduce material and labor costs, to manufacture...

I got some white vinyl textured upholstery cloth - that along with getting the fury, faux-mink material (very fluffy fleece, as found in some blankets and throws)... that I'm going to ask my seamstress friend to put together a scaled-up, retro-pair, for myself... (hopefully).

A few searches and, this image following, was the closest match to those particular vintage... View attachment 29521...

These appear to be the mid to late 80's... probably the last of the vinyls :(

Anyway, best of luck on your searching,
-Marka

p.s. I don't know what brand my childhood one's were... could've been the Dr. Dentons - Likely whatever Sears and Penny's would've had back then...

Yeah I am familiar with those Sears Winnie the Pooh blanket sleepers. I actually had a few blanket sleepers from the 80's up through the early 90's that had the white vinyl feet and toe caps. I recall seeing a lot of manufacturers switching to the cloth feet around that time. Hope you get some nice custom blanket sleepers made the way you want them. I plan to do the same.

- - - Updated - - -

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
I have a Sears catalogue from 1974. Yes, it has the footed sleepers with Pooh embroidered on the front, and they seem to be the most expensive pajamas in the book for younger kids.

Those were good quality blanket sleepers!

Marka said:
I was about 6-years old when that catalogue came out - that would be fun and interesting to look through! I don't recall that my sleepers had any applique of any sort on them... a plain buttery-yellow including the cuffs and collar. The vinyl feet were of course white...

Not the best photo quality but note the one on the lower left-hand corner - seems to match your description. IMG_20170718_192813 - Edited.jpg

That catalogue was actually where I learned cloth training pants were a thing - and was consequently told by my mother my half-brother wore them. I wasn't quite as lucky!

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
Not the best photo quality but note the one on the lower left-hand corner - seems to match your description. View attachment 29522

That old catalog advertising is cool. I have a few old catalogs in my collection. So much has changed over the years with clothing and advertising.

I would really love at least one sleeper with white vinyl feet! I would use the good vinyl like the black vinyl that snugasabug uses. But so long as it was white I'd be happy. The last time I found white vinyl footed pjs was in the late 90s in department stores in the women's section. I should just have some made, but not sure who I would order custom ones from in the US.

Backinfootedsleepers said:
Hi everybody!

It's been a while since I posted. I was just wondering if anyone on here has come across any older blanket sleepers or footed pajamas with the vinyl feet.

Yes I have I have a pair from snug as a bug I love them!!

Here is a link

https://snugasabug.com/classic-red-adult-hooded-pajama/

Let me know what you think?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PyjamaBaby said:
I also love snug as a bug and have these with feet and bottom flap (don't seem to do them anymore)
https://snugasabug.com/navy-adult-footed-pajama/

Also try this site where you can create your own (not vinyl feet though, less slippy)
https://www.the-all-in-one-company.co.uk/footed_pajamas.php

Finally for really bespoke (not cheap) ones try this site where you can get non-slip and normal feet
http://privatina.shop-07.de/privatina-p568h164s170-footed-pajama-dreame.html

Thanks for the link I have several pjs and onesies from privatina and love them

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GDNTSKID said:
I remember my favorite sleeper as a kid had Winnie the Pooh on them and had the toe caps on the vinyl feet. I wore them as often and long as I could. I would pay good money to get my hands on a pair that would fit me today. I attached a pic of the exact kind I had as a kid; the same as Marka posted:

View attachment 29527

I was the same way. I would wear and enjoy mine as much as I could. They were great. I think Sears made those blanket sleepers up to size 16.

GDNTSKID said:
I remember my favorite sleeper as a kid had Winnie the Pooh on them and had the toe caps on the vinyl feet. I wore them as often and long as I could. I would pay good money to get my hands on a pair that would fit me today. I attached a pic of the exact kind I had as a kid; the same as Marka posted:

View attachment 29527

These were the best ever. For years I got new ones for Christmas Eve. It was like clockwork. Christmas morning was the best in these.

footedpjs said:
These were the best ever. For years I got new ones for Christmas Eve. It was like clockwork. Christmas morning was the best in these.

Yes...they were great on Christmas morning. Many great memories!

Ooh. I love this idea. I may have to order soon!

A few years ago there was a company called Kozy Komfy that made exact replicas of the ones pictured in an earlier post. I have 4 of them. They have the zipper all the way to the ankle and the button cuff at the top. They also have the vinyl feet with the toe cap. My favorite ones that I have are a car/truck/bus print and I have one with a Cookie Monster patch sewed on. I love them but they are a little too warm for summer months.

BAP21 said:
A few years ago there was a company called Kozy Komfy that made exact replicas of the ones pictured in an earlier post. I have 4 of them. They have the zipper all the way to the ankle and the button cuff at the top. They also have the vinyl feet with the toe cap. My favorite ones that I have are a car/truck/bus print and I have one with a Cookie Monster patch sewed on. I love them but they are a little too warm for summer months.

Hi! I do remember them and saw pics of them. Unfortunately, I did not buy any. Wish I did. They looked just like the older blanket sleepers.

s-l500.jpg Just ordered these from ebay :) I have always wanted to try sleepers with vinyl feet :D

Last edited:
Target now has out their 'Union Jack' pajamas. They have different characters I picked up Hello Kitty. Pooh is an option and Minnie Mouse, too.

Zebben said:
View attachment 29741 Just ordered these from ebay :) I have always wanted to try sleepers with vinyl feet :D

Those are the Softwear footie loungers I believe. I do not have any of those, but they look nice. Do you like them?

- - - Updated - - -

keepindl said:
Target now has out their 'Union Jack' pajamas. They have different characters I picked up Hello Kitty. Pooh is an option and Minnie Mouse, too.

Yeah it is that time of year when all the footed pajamas start coming out in stores. I just wish they would use vinyl on the feet like the old days.

Backinfootedsleepers said:
Those are the Softwear footie loungers I believe. I do not have any of those, but they look nice. Do you like them?

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah it is that time of year when all the footed pajamas start coming out in stores. I just wish they would use vinyl on the feet like the old days.

Its much cheaper to just put tiny patch of a material that render them non slippery, unsure if its vinyl, I think its something else now. I remember my favorite pair, it was so slippery we used to do race of skating in our footed sleepers with my brother and cousin at his house, I was around 6 at this time, then my cousin hit the wall way too fast once, wasn't seriously injured but my aunt didn't want any races anymore while we were wearing our sleepers. Cousin had just celebrated his 3rd birthday if I remember correctly. I saw a video of it, my uncle used to record every big events with a video camera and I was very impressed by that huge thing that he held on his shoulder at that time, then I remembered this event, was so much fun. Sadly, he doesn't want anyone to ever touch the VHS tapes of it, I would have such an awesome footage of this on my PC, I have everything to record them, just not the VHS tapes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back