Thread: Interviewing: How do I ace it for the job?

Default Interviewing: How do I ace it for the job?

Hi everyone,

I love this forum because we have members from all walks of life, and therefore all kinds of experience. I have been applying for jobs for quite sometime, and I have had some interviews, but no job offers. I received an email for a position that I would really love to have, but I am feeling a little nervous on the interview, as it will be my 5th, and I have still yet to have an offer. I was wondering what advice members might have that can help in acing interviews?

thanks

Can you tell us the general field? I'm a lawyer, so in a vacuum, I'd probably advise you to do things like dress nicely, research the job well and ask thoughtful questions, and be polite and formal. On the other hand, I've heard stories of people interviewing for jobs like game design where showing up in a character t-shirt and jeans is what landed them the job because they had a great conversation with the interviewer about liking the same cartoons. So, field matters.

I would suggest the following, that apply to any interview ever, though. First, do a little research. What is required for the job? What kind of work are they expecting you to do? With whom? If you can't figure it out, those become good things to ask at the end of the interview (but if you could have just googled it, then you look a little silly, which is why you have to check first). Also, go there and pay attention to the person with whom you're interviewing. Regardless of how casual or formal the interview is, the person on the other end will care that you gave them your full attention.

You want to be confident not, cocky or, arrogant...

Don't apologize or say "sorry" for normal natural, non-harmful things such as, being a little nervous or anxious. It interrupts the flow and, is distracting as well as, it tends to come-off as self-deprecating...

Develop a syncing or Grounding method - rather than allowing yourself to fidget or, be preoccupied with controlling the fidgets... Avoid crossing your arms or putting your hands behind your head (body language matters as much as what you vocalize).

Clear your mind, do deep breathing and concentrate on relaxing your muscles... you already know the answers to most of the questions that they are likely to ask you - don't get too rehearsed and respond with automatic canned answers...

Listen through the filters of the questions and statements - what did they actually ask or say to you? Don't give them the history of time and clock-making when, they've simply asked what time you have.

Make appropriate eye-contact and give calm, thoughtful, interested facial expressions (don't screw your face up)...

Make yourself comfortable, in a semi-formal way; don't lounge and slouch yet, don't sit or stand, as though you had a stick up your butt...

Follow their lead yet, don't mimic them either... if they show a relaxed gesture/posture - show a relaxed gesture/posture, of your own, too (again, don't exaggerate)...

Show respect not, fear subversively if; they appear to be disheveled or of lesser competence, I.Q., etc - Leave your superiority (and/or, inferiority) complex, outside (you can pick those back up, on the way out)...

You are interviewing them/that company, too yet, don't take-over the interview... you're both investigating and, evaluating... the particular fit for this employment opportunity. You should know a bit about this company and, you should have perhaps, as many as three questions of clarity, to ask of them... the questions should be based on the cornerstones of that particular company and it's related products and services. Refrain from asking about break-times and things that you'll find out on orientation day and, through the Employee hand-book/manual.

You might ask if, they offer a 401k and/or training incentive programs, etc - if, you're generally interested and/or, it helps you in being thoughtful on what employment there, may offer -vs- other places...

Don't gravel, beg or, plea - you're not on-sale as a discounted, defective employee... Again, you are both, mutually, checking this particular fitment as, you are a potential employee and them, as a potential employer... It's not actually an assessment or judgement, on your personal character, potential and, current skills... You are both, shopping...

I just now, read ArchieRonie's succinct reply... we appear to be on about the same page

Anyway, that's what I have for you, now...
    What questions, come to mind for you?

-Marka

Do as much research as you can on that company beforehand! Like Archie said, if you can't figure something out it helps to ask that part during the interview.

This is all great advice, however, in my personal experience, I have never had time before an interview to do those things. I will attempt to address the things NOT to do as well as just some general advice. Just for the record, I have only applied for retail and entry level positions, but I have never not been offered a job after having an interview.

First thing, don't dress poorly. The standard is dress one step above what you will be wearing at work. So if employees West jeans, then wear khakis to the interview. If they wear khakis, wear black dress pants. Avoid wearing any jewelry other than a wedding ring and/or ONE set of stud earrings of a small size. Wear casual shoes such as flats or men's casual shoes (they look like dress shoes but less shiny) or dressier, depending on the position. Do not wear sandals or athletic shoes. A heel is okay, however a maximum of 1 1/2 inches and only if you can confidently walk in them.

Don't chew gum.

Don't try too hard.

Before you walk in or in the elevator, stand with your hands on your hips, like the Superman pose. It will make you more confident. While you are waiting, sit up straight and smile.

As soon as your interviewer arrives, stand up. Shake their hand. Wait until they sit to sit.

Take your time to think about and answer the questions thoughtfully.

It really is the small things that can make the difference. You have seven seconds to make a first impression, so the interviewer has formed an opinion of you before you have even arrived in the interview room.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Wasn't quite done typing.

Make those seven seconds count. Stand up when your interviewer enters the room. Smile when you shake their hand.

And at the end of the interview, ALWAYS say thank you and shake their hand one last time.

And thank the person at the front desk if you walk past them as well

My area is music so my interviews have always been somewhat different than other folks, but some things still apply. As a musician, I've always had to play a big work on the organ and I've had to direct the choir. This translates to knowing your job area and being proficient.

Interviewers will ask you questions pertaining to the job, so answer them as best as you can. But remember that you are interviewing them too. You want the job to be right for you, so ask questions about what you'll be doing. In some instances, and certainly mine, I've wanted to know what sort of budget I was working with. I also wanted to know how healthy the church was because I wanted to be there for a number of years. In your case, you want to be sure the company is healthy so that it doesn't close in a year.

Asking questions about the company, and it must be done politely and non deprecating, shows your interest in the job and your commitment to making it better. There's a careful balance in all of this so don't push too far or too hard but also show interest in the company that's hiring you.

Be informed about the company and the job. Stay calm, relaxed. Be nice.
    If you have 10 minutes switch places with your future possible employer. What would you like to see and hear from an applicant? What would impress you? Act accordingly...

Every job i ever applied for i got ,if you want a job no matter what field it is in ,before you interview learn everything there is to know about the job that you can research .
    Most of all be confident ,show them that you are interested and intresting , let them know you are a team player who will leverage everything you know and everything you will learn from your affiliation with them to do your job , don't be afraid to do your job and somebody else's to make the company successfull( their success because of your performance , will make you indispensable )

Using the above when I hit a time where nothing seemed like something that interested me as far as a job , I went to work for a temp employment agency , by nature I am generally a nice guy and hard to piss off ,not your typical temporary worker .when the agency was in danger of losing a contract with a company because of the nitwits that they sent to do the job, they would call me tell me what field I needed to be an "expert" at in two days and where to go ,anything i didnt know i would learn in that short time and show up and blow the client away , thereby saving the contract and also many times i would train there own people how to do a better job ,with a 99% success rate ( the temp agency had a non compete clause in my contract , but that only applied to me iniating a postion with the client) and generally i would temp the position and in very short order the employer would approach me and offer me the job as a permanent temp at a much higher rate,because they new I was a quality , so any time they needed a temp instead of calling the agency they would call me . This allowed me to make all kinds of connections in a wide variety of fields and services , a network that I still use to this day when I need something . Don't be afraid to learn and don't be afraid to go for it , I learned to do this before the internet ,it's even easier to learn things now.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk