Real bed-wetter or not

Status
Not open for further replies.
Bed wetting by choice is an entirely different thing than medical or psychological condition caused bed wetting, and in fact most bed wetters havent wet a bed in along time because of the use of diapers and sheets and bed pads , my bed ,my recliners my wheelchair all enjoy there own protection in the event mine fails .
Bed wetting for secondary gain such as your parent or spouse allowing providing or accepting your use of diapers , is a fool's errand ,beds are expensive to replace and hard to clean , so willfully abusing your bed is pretty drastic action to take when you could just say I like them and want to wear them ,wether child or adult talking about something is far easier then destroying something intentionally to further your agenda.

I am not saying it will be easy or natural for a person to be so open about there needs, but I am of the belief that regardless of the physiological or psychological need , it is still a need and should be respected as such .not everyone is as open minded as I am so obviously there maybe conflict in how others feel , but nothing really gets accomplished by manipulating others .

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

Wow, I didn’t expect so many replies to this thread. I must admit that my own mind has been changed a couple of times after reading all of your replies.

I guess that when I first asked the question I wasn’t even thinking about the clinical definition of enuresis.

Anyway, this is where I stand on the subjdect now. If there is some kind of issue which makes it out of a person’s control then I’d call it real bedwetting. It might be a physical reason, or emotional or psychological and even deliberate if there is a compulsive aspect to it - I’d still call it real bedwetting.

On the other hand, if it’s done purposefully in order to manipulate a partner or parent to accept or purchase diapers for you, that’s just wrong. It’s just being dishonest. Own up to who you are and be honest with your spouse/partner. As far as parents go, there is no reason for them to know unless it really is a medical issue.

Just my thoughts on the matter, nothing clinical or conclusive about it. Of course, I could change my mind again.

I'm not sure if this counts as bed-wetting, but since sophomore year in high school (been going on for four years) I have had accidents during the night because of anxiety, my past hurts and dreams. The actual wet spot ranges from a silver dollar sized spot to a 4-5 inch spot. It's driving me crazy that I am doing this involuntarily and wake up after it happens. I happens fairly regularly, 2-5 times a week, and my parents don't believe me. They want me to wash my sheets on those days instead of being able to get protection.

Well, when you wet the bed you may not even notice it because you're asleep. But a bed-wetter doesn't seem to be able to hold their pee while sleeping or just doesn't get up when needed because they want to sleep. Therefore an accident happens. To me if you're an actual bed-wetter you don't do it on purpose, it's always an accident. I mean, that's just like me saying that because I go pee a lot I have an incontinent bladder. When really I may just have an overactive one in general (can lead to incontinence though). But yeah, people who wet the bed on purpose and keep doing it could actually end up becoming a bed-wetter or worse (if they abuse their poor bladder enough).

google barringtons nucleus

I have wet the bed for most of my life on and off but the last few years I have been wetting the bed four times a week at least it is probably alcohol related but I have always had the problem even before I started drinking

It's time to go back to unfermented apple juice in the old bottle then buc , drinking four nights a week is not good for your longevity.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

I am a true bedwetter. I pee in my sleep every night but I really enjoy being a bedwetter and love waking up wet every morning.

This is a long and deep thread. I won't foist my views on anyone else but it seems to me there are lots of situations where personally damaging actions are taken voluntarily but under a compulsion that is at the time irresistible. Driving too fast for a thrill, getting drunk, taking drugs, engaging in sexual activities inappropriately can sometimes be like that - but are not always.

Is going to bed with a full bladder knowing you are likely to wake up wet always "intentional" - or is it maybe a response to an anxiety state (for instance) that leaves the individual aware that they will experience a sense of relief if it happens, while still leaving room for them to say "I didn't p**s the sheets on purpose."

dayannight said:
This is a long and deep thread. I won't foist my views on anyone else but it seems to me there are lots of situations where personally damaging actions are taken voluntarily but under a compulsion that is at the time irresistible. Driving too fast for a thrill, getting drunk, taking drugs, engaging in sexual activities inappropriately can sometimes be like that - but are not always.

Is going to bed with a full bladder knowing you are likely to wake up wet always "intentional" - or is it maybe a response to an anxiety state (for instance) that leaves the individual aware that they will experience a sense of relief if it happens, while still leaving room for them to say "I didn't p**s the sheets on purpose."

I honestly don't think it matters. If you wake in a wet bed then you surely are a bedwetter.

o yeah, it's a considerably more complex issue - isn't it?

Was that about what you were intending to illustrate?

Thanks,
-Marka

Yes, it is complex but it is subconscious and I guess my point is that without barrington's nucleus, you would have an autogenic bladder. like a baby's in other words. It is the part of the brain that matures last and produces continence. This is why doctors general advice when the child is a late bloomer is to simply wait. It is also my belief why you cannot "become" a bedwetter later on in life intentionally. though we hear stories of this, I simply choose not to believe them. Barrington's nucleus will not let you do that. Of course there will always be rare exceptions.

ArchtopK said:
o yeah, it's a considerably more complex issue - isn't it?

Was that about what you were intending to illustrate?

Thanks,
-Marka

Yes, it is complex but it is subconscious and I guess my point is that without barrington's nucleus, you would have an autogenic bladder. like a baby's in other words. It is the part of the brain that matures last and produces continence. This is why doctors general advice when the child is a late bloomer is to simply wait. It is also my belief why you cannot "become" a bedwetter later on in life intentionally. though we hear stories of this, I simply choose not to believe them. Barrington's nucleus will not let you do that. Of course there will always be rare exceptions.

Just because continence muscles are controlled by a part of the brain that develops last, doesn't mean those muscles can't be consciously controlled in not using them.

Sorry but your choosing to not believe this is not much different to me than someone choosing to believe the earth is flat in spite of all the evidence against it.

ST50 said:
I honestly don't think it matters. If you wake in a wet bed then you surely are a bedwetter.

I think that generally we use the term "bedwetting" interchangably with the medical term "enuresis" although this may be confusing these terms. Literally bedwetting is any condition that results in urinating in bed and would therefore cover both voluntary and involuntary wetting. Enuresis clearly refers to the involuntary release of urine especially during sleep.

mikesecret said:
I think that generally we use the term "bedwetting" interchangably with the medical term "enuresis" although this may be confusing these terms. Literally bedwetting is any condition that results in urinating in bed and would therefore cover both voluntary and involuntary wetting. Enuresis clearly refers to the involuntary release of urine especially during sleep.

Almost, and we've already been over this. There is always an involuntary component to it (whether mental or physical)

bed-wet·ting
ˈbedˌwediNG/
noun: bedwetting
involuntary urination during sleep

So no, voluntarily wetting the bed is not included in that definition.

- - - Updated - - -

Edit, there is also a big difference in wetting the bed versus bedwetting. You can always wet the bed on purpose, but cannot purposely bedwet.

MarcusP said:

3. Voluntary, or intentional, enuresis may be associated with other mental disorders, including behavior disorders or emotional disorders such as anxiety.
http://www.webmd.com/mental-health/enuresis#1

Your other citations are solid but I don't completely trust WebMD. If I was still in college I would look for a different source.

Some of my classes on putting papers together drove in the need to be careful with citations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back