Status
Not open for further replies.

OriginalT

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Babyfur
  2. Little
  3. Carer
I need a good graphics card, but I don't know where to start. I'm looking for something that can handle games like overwatch and player unknowns battleground. The one I currently have can't handle them at its lowest settings

If you could link affordable graphics cards that you trust or personally use, or good websites to look at, let me have at it!

P.s. I have an average CPU, should I upgrade it along with the graphics card? Is the CPU Part of why I'm having a hard time running these games

Last edited:
First of all I made no advertising for any brand.

Go to your local PC retailer and ask.
or
Ask google "graphics card comparison"
or
Go to your local newsstand.
Look for a PC magazine with graphics card comparison

Buy your favorite graphics card and enjoy your games

I try my best AE English for you

OriginalT said:
I need a good graphics card, but I don't know where to start. I'm looking for something that can handle games like overwatch and player unknowns battleground. The one I currently have can't handle them at its lowest settings

If you could link affordable graphics cards that you trust or personally use, or good websites to look at, let me have at it!

P.s. I have an average CPU, should I upgrade it along with the graphics card? Is the CPU Part of why I'm having a hard time running these games

What CPU and graphics card do you currently have? How much RAM do you have?

The system requirements for Overwatch and Player Unknowns Battleground are here:
https://eu.battle.net/support/en/article/Overwatch-System-Requirements
http://battlegrounds.gamepedia.com/System_Requirements

An average CPU is probably okay; I'm guessing a decent graphics card is what you need.

Currently the graphics card market is destroyed due to the crypto currency mining craze. Unfortunately it is about the worst time to try to get a new or even used gpu. At the moment most cards are out of stock or their prices are insanely inflated to make up for the stock shortages. Normally I would recommend an RX 580 but there is no where to get a fairly priced one and the few you can find are upwards of $500 to $600, which is more than double the msrp. The best you can do at the moment is a GTX 1050 ti, but that card might struggle with Player Unknowns Battleground as it's not a well optimized game yet, you should be able to hit 60fps 1080p if you drop to medium settings. You also really need a hyper threaded dual core or preferably a true quad core cpu and 8gb of ram ideally for most modern games to run smoothly.

Not sure what yoshi is talking about. Just did a quick check of www.newegg.com on their mobile site they have 76 pages of graphics cards in stock. From super expensive 1080's to much much cheaper older gen cards. Shop around and ask lots of questions. I'm guessing you have little to zero computer experience or you would have given us more info than you did for us to go on.

Desktop or laptop?
How many PCIe slots do you have?
Do you have dedicated power connectors off your power supply?
Budget?
Is card manufacturer important? (I like Nvidia Geforce over AMD Raedon)

That is a just a few of the questions that need answered.

Like others have said, need more information on your CPU, Power Supply, Motherboard, PCIe slots and RAM. I always shoot for a mid to upper range Nvidia Geforce with a new build. Not the latest greatest, but will play the latest games without a hitch. How much are you willing to spend?

Spaz said:
Like others have said, need more information on your CPU, Power Supply, Motherboard, PCIe slots and RAM. I always shoot for a mid to upper range Nvidia Geforce with a new build. Not the latest greatest, but will play the latest games without a hitch. How much are you willing to spend?
Seconded to the NVIDIA. My desktop runs games like Overwatch and Rocket League no problem. Even League of Legends ran on high settings with very little problems. But like others have said, take care with combining your graphics with your processor and such. Don't wanna overload!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

I recommend people to build their own computer, but I can never convince them enough how easy it is to build them. With PCpartpicker, it takes away a lot of the questions you may have as far as compatibility goes. With all the guides on YouTube, it makes things very easy.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
I recommend people to build their own computer, but I can never convince them enough how easy it is to build them. With PCpartpicker, it takes away a lot of the questions you may have as far as compatibility goes. With all the guides on YouTube, it makes things very easy.

I built a PC way back in 2005. Used all MSI components in it. That box was the most stabile PC I have ever owned, before and since. I learned a lot doing it. My biggest issue doing the same thing now is I don't have the disposable income to throw $1200 in parts in a new case. I barely scratch together an extra $50 now and again to buy diapers... let alone computer parts. Ugh....

I hear ya, the dog eat dog world we live in isn't very forgiving.

Anuric said:
Not sure what yoshi is talking about. Just did a quick check of www.newegg.com on their mobile site they have 76 pages of graphics cards in stock. From super expensive 1080's to much much cheaper older gen cards. Shop around and ask lots of questions. I'm guessing you have little to zero computer experience or you would have given us more info than you did for us to go on.

Desktop or laptop?
Budget?

I'm referring to the crypto currency mining boom currently going on right now, this article discusses it in detail https://www.extremetech.com/computing/251379-cryptocurrency-craze-sends-gpu-prices-skyrocketing. Basically most current AMD (RX 4XX and 5XX Series) and NVIDIA (GTX 10XX Series) cards are mostly out of stock. What is left on places like Newegg and Amazon are either really entry level cards, or high end cards like the GTX 1080 like you mentioned. Cards like the GTX 1060 and RX 580 are gone due to the miners constantly buying them up as soon as more stock appears. The cards that are left are either low end cards like the GTX 1050 or RX 460, high end cards like the GTX 1080, normally I would say get a midrange card like an RX 570 or 580, but since they are completely out of stock or way overpriced past their msrp. The best card at the moment for games like Player Unknowns Battleground would be a GTX 1050 ti as it can handle the game well and be obtained for its msrp price.

Your best bet it to find a local Craigslist ad for a 470 or similar. Toms hardware has a GPU shopping guide if look at if I were you.

Anuric said:

Desktop or laptop?
Budget?

I actually mostly have a lot more software experience than hardware experience in computers, but im learning. Ive got a desktop that i built myself a while back (but my dad helped and has control issues so he did most of it)

no idea how many PCIe slots, or what that is tbh

card manufacturer isnt really a problem

I just bought a decent gaming computer at a pawn shop. It's was probably built about 4 or 5 years ago. But still I got a 3.5ghz i5 with liquid cooling and an Asus z97-a mobo with a gtx 750. Paid 179. It was playing all my games with decent reliability on high or better graphics. Still I wanted an upgrade. Flipping through the marketplace on facebook. I scored a used 6gb gtx Titan for 200. Works great and has been for a month now.

Sent from my HTC 10 using Tapatalk

askmelater47 said:
I just bought a decent gaming computer at a pawn shop. It's was probably built about 4 or 5 years ago. But still I got a 3.5ghz i5 with liquid cooling and an Asus z97-a mobo with a gtx 750. Paid 179. It was playing all my games with decent reliability on high or better graphics. Still I wanted an upgrade. Flipping through the marketplace on facebook. I scored a used 6gb gtx Titan for 200. Works great and has been for a month now.

Forgot to mention. With my gtx 750 1gb I was running skyrim special edition maxed out in open world at around 30 fps. With my Titan it's a constant 60 no fluctuating no matter where I am or what I'm doing, OK sure it's higher but vsync limits it out. The other 2 games I play are Hots the Titan runs between 160-200fps. And the most graphically intensive game I have is civ 6 it runs very high but not max settings at 45fps in benchmark mode

I built my pc back in 2013. I have a 760 gtx but I'm currently seeking a 1070 gtx. Maybe 1080gtx, if Nvidia can dump this crypto currency mining craze. It's really hindering sales.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back