Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: potential employers and credit checks

Angry potential employers and credit checks

this isn't diaper related, but I would like people opinion
    many potential employers check your credit as part of a back ground check to determine if they will hire you or not
    my question is should they be allowed to do this?
    I know my credit suck, but it shouldn't keep me from getting a job
    I feel that this Information is nobody else's business and is a form of discrimination!

what do you guys and gals think ?

Hmmm, interesting question. I suppose they view it as one of their very few measures of someone's character before they actually get to know them. Not that it's very accurate or anything, but it's maybe what they grasp for out of desperation.

I'd wish them good luck catching sociopaths that way, for example.

I think it's way too intrusive. I feel the same way about employers who give you (or try to give you) those canned psych/aptitude tests. I've walked out on a couple of those over the years. Just because.

I can understand why an employer might want to know how you are at managing money, especially for certain positions relating to that, but then again, isn't being broke a pretty massive motivator to get and keep a good job.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    I think it's way too intrusive. I feel the same way about employers who give you (or try to give you) those canned psych/aptitude tests. I've walked out on a couple of those over the years. Just because.

I can understand why an employer might want to know how you are at managing money, especially for certain positions relating to that, but then again, isn't being broke a pretty massive motivator to get and keep a good job.
    I think for once I might agree with you, Maxx. ^.^;

Maybe it's my background, but I always figured it was so the employer could get a feel for how responsible you are, how susceptible to outside coercion you might be, etc.
    Then again, I've submitted an SF-86 seeking a TS, so . . . .

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphyre View Post
    I think for once I might agree with you, Maxx. ^.^;
    Dont upset the status quo!

Tbe only reason I see for credit checks and employment could be if the position involved looking after other people's money. For example, a job at a financial adviser firm or being a mortgage broker. Not that I agree with employers being so intrusive but can just about understand why they would want to know for jobs involving others money. If you cant keep ypur own finances in check how can you help other people. Overall though think its way overboard.

Although it's legal, I have to question how effective it is in determining trustworthiness or whether it would protect the employer from theft and fraud. I think the reason behind it in financial institutions is that they want to know that you can handle your own money before they let you handle theirs. Still, there would seem to be better ways to gauge a person's character and work ethic, such as references from employers and criminal record checks.

A poor credit check doesn't necessarily prove financial irresponsibility, it could occur because of a divorce, or be the result of poor economic times, such as a layoff. A lot of excellent employees can be in difficult financial circumstances, so to automatically screen them out because of a poor credit check means the company may lose out on hiring an exceptional worker.

I think the process should be based on common sense, firstly by determining if the position being filled really calls for a clear credit. However, even before that they should consider the less intrusive hiring practices such as reviewing comprehensive references and employment history.

Here in Canada, in the province of Alberta, the Information and Privacy Office ruled against Mark's Warehouse, a retailer who refused to hire a person for a sales associate position because of a poor credit check. The Privacy Office determined that the information was not 'reasonably required' to assess the person's ability to perform the duties, nor did it determine whether he had a tendency to commit fraud or theft. Personal credit checks are unlikely to provide the information.

http://www.greggowe.com/content/pre-...ta-privacy-leg

My advice to the OP is to ensure your credit report is accurate. Check it over and report any errors. Secondly, let an employer know in advance about any problems in the report. It's better for them to hear your explanation first before they see the information on the report. Thirdly, a number of states have limited the ability on how employers can ask for credit information. It would be advisable to seek a legal opinion depending on the state you live in.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encycloped...t-reports.html
    Last edited by Starrunner; 05-Jul-2017 at 16:19.

Quote Originally Posted by MotherFaith View Post
    Dont upset the status quo!
    You're right, I forgot myself. Maxx, everything you say is wrong, you conservative freak of nature!! LOL ^.^;

Quote Originally Posted by wetatnight View Post
    this isn't diaper related, but I would like people opinion
    many potential employers check your credit as part of a back ground check to determine if they will hire you or not
    my question is should they be allowed to do this?
    I know my credit suck, but it shouldn't keep me from getting a job
    I feel that this Information is nobody else's business and is a form of discrimination!

what do you guys and gals think ?
    I'm all for it. If a company has two nearly identically qualified amplicants, don't you think they would want the person who has proven they know how to handle their finances?

Because, lets face it. A person's credit score is not abut how much money they make, it's about how well organized they are with their money. And if someone can keep their personal finances in check, then that's a good indicator they can keep their work in check too.

Plus, a poor credit score is a good indicator that person is having financial and/or personal problems. Problems that could bleed over into their work environment. A good credit score would indicate no such problems, which would be better for their work.

I disagree
    many people can be one medical or some other issue away from a devastating financial situation not of their own making and to use this against them is wrong in my
    also as far a if someone has had problems handling other people money a criminal back ground check should show that