Status
Not open for further replies.

BabyKai

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Incontinent
I've been considering using cloth diapers but I need some help. I'm still waiting for my doctor to assess my incontincence so I don't get any "free" diapers on prescription so my mum buys them and it's costing over £40 a month.

Because of this, I'm really thinking about using cloth diapers to help save money. I've recently bought one and also two bamboo inserts. They're okay. I mainly use them when I'm in the pool (before I would use a disposable diaper which would swell up and eventually just bust, which is why I bought one in the first place tbh) but I tried wearing it over night and it leaked like hell. It was horrible. So I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or if my bladder just... lets out waaay too much urine?

I just want your opinion on which is better and also any advice on cloth diapers.

I do make sure that the bamboo insert thing is correctly in place inside the diaper and I make sure the diaper is well fitted on me to prevent leaks but I swear, I woke up in the middle of the night with a completely leaked diaper.

Are cloth diapers worth it? Are they useful for someone like me who releases an entire bladders worth of urine or am I just doing it wrong?

Any advice would be appreciated.

PS: sorry if none of this made sense, just been to the dentist and I'm still slightly out of it :laugh:

You went wrong with buying all-in-one cloth diapers. If you bought true cloth diapers (prefold with plastic pants) it would benefit you better. They are more expensive, but they pay for themselves. Yes,Your bladder size has something to do with it leaking, but those pads hold almost nothing.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

The only problems with cloth diapers is that you would need more than one of them and they need to be washed every time they're used. They can be reliable for absorbency.

I use disposables because I can't use my washer every day. But I hear that disposables leak more often than cloths.

they might help you for bedtime (a proper folded one, not the aio), but day time you have to consider how much work you want to have to deal with changing. Also unlike disposables you have to consider you will be carrying around a diaper bag which will get heavier each time you change, also the AIO don't really usually hold alot so you will be changing more often/leaking

Once you have enough cloth diapers, they last a long, long time as you will wash them many times. Where the expense comes in is replacing plastic pants as they harden and crack. PUL plastic pants are more expensive, but they'll last for years and you can wash them in the washing machine. Never put plastic pants of any kind in the dryer as that will ruin them.

As MeTalMan man and others have suggested, buy some pre-fold cloth diapers. I wear gauze but twill is good if you can find them. I simply pin mine from corner to corner. I rinse my diaper out while I'm taking a shower and let the shower water wash my plastic pants. For regular plastic, vinyl pants: never use soap or petroleum products on them as that will make them stiff and crack.

Like the others have said, cloth diapers (with plastic pants) are very absorbent and last forever if you take care of them. Disposables are more convenient for the daytime and when you are not at home when you need to change. I like cloth diapers for overnight and disposables if I am going to be away from home during the day.

I use both.

When I am home I primarily use cloth for the absorbancy. I have a handful of contour cloth and a few covers. The cost initislly is much more however the long term cost is much better. So long as you take care of them. Most cloth providers will send care instructions or at least have them on their site.

That said when I am out and about I wear disposables. The only reason for this is because I find changing cloths in public to be an annoyance and a chore.

I use cloth diapers and vinyl pull on all day and 2 diapers at night, there grate :thumbsup:

Disposable only for me.

When my Incon first started it manifested as bedwetting only for several months. I did so much bedding laundry it was crazy. When I finally gave in and decided to dry wearing protection to bed, I chose disposables simply because I was so incredibly fed up with all the laundry. I didn't want to have diaper laundry every day. Also the initial upfront investment seemed like a bit much, but in retrospect given the trial and error of finding a good disposable, that may not have been so bad.

When things got worse and daytime leaks became so frequent that diapers were needed, I stuck with disposables for a few reasons. I had found products that I trusted and that fit and worked well for me. I also liked the idea of being about to just throw it away. I didn't want to have to change a cloth diaper at work and then have to carry a heavy wet cloth diaper with me all day in a back pack and then wash it at home. Disposables are just a lot easier in my opinion.

I never have leaks with my disposables, or at least have not had a significant leak in quite a long time. I wear Better Dry at night and Northshore Supreme Lites during the day. In either case, if I feel like I'm going to have an especially wet day (drinking too many fluids or consuming alcohol) I can add a booster.

Maybe NHS is more generous than here in the states , the allowable reimbursement on cloth diapers is 26 cents for one diaper a month I spent $20,000 on my cloth , so they drowned me in cases of diapers that I only wear around town. As has been mentioned AIO's should be emergency reserve only sick days or forgetting to wash diapers , regular cloth with separate plastic pants will last year's ( mine are 10 and still chugging along) daily use of an AIO will cause it's death in about 2 years , the high heat of the dryer strips the plasticizers out of the cover material every time they are used , with the two part syatem you wash the diapers with fragrancet free soap , dry them without a fragrance or dryer sheet because dryer sheets build up a water repellent wax on the diaper that you dont want , your plastic pants just get rinsed in the sink and hung to dry , if you can hang the diapers on a clothes line the sun will "bleach" them it gets stains out amazingly, never use bleach or oxy clean that will prematurely wear your diapers out .there is almost no such thing as a leaking diaper with cloth anything that gets by the diaper the first time the plastic pants contain, and let the diaper absorb it.

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

All in one's don't last. If you're going cloth, you will need full cloth pinn in diapers, and separate diaper covers (I recommend PUL). And forget using insert pads too, you're better off with a full diaper.

That's the beauty of cloth need more absorbancy just add another layer of diaper, some of my diapers I paid a 5 dollar upcharge and got double soaker built in, cloth diapers made gy yhis compahy is one of the few that that builds up the whole diaper not just the core of the crotch.

I have several bags of abena m4 and I also have about a dozen cloth flat diapers and a few prefold but I don't even use any but the flat diapers for bedwetting which is all I need them for but they are great and I have used them in public and I don't think anyone noticed it just make sure you have good plastic pants

I've been using cloth diapers and plastic pants for night use for decades. Disposables for day time. Never had leak problems at night but I also use a disposable at night as a "diaperliner" because I'm prone to night BM accidets and they keep stool off my cloth diapers and makes laundering easier.I also use a bed pad (48" x 52") . Oassional dampness but I use a Kins model 10700 pull-up cloth diaper over the disposable and never had a full blown soaking leak. During the day I use a Comfi-dry 24/7 with a booster. I think you have to experiment to find what's going to fork best you.

Over the past eleven years I have tried just about everything to manage my severe OAB. For comfort I prefer cloth as long as they are dry, but don't like the dampness or the odor once I've wet them. Additionally, cloth diapers are difficult to deal with when I'm away from home, which is often. Thus, I've found the best overall day and night combination for me are ConfiDry 24/7 diapers, a booster pad and pull-on plastic pants. The plastic pants aren't totally necessary, but they do add an extra waterproof layer and, most importantly, protect the diaper tapes from snagging on clothing and pulling away from the diaper.

schooner said:
Over the past eleven years I have tried just about everything to manage my severe OAB. For comfort I prefer cloth as long as they are dry, but don't like the dampness or the odor once I've wet them. Additionally, cloth diapers are difficult to deal with when I'm away from home, which is often. Thus, I've found the best overall day and night combination for me are ConfiDry 24/7 diapers, a booster pad and pull-on plastic pants. The plastic pants aren't totally necessary, but they do add an extra waterproof layer and, most importantly, protect the diaper tapes from snagging on clothing and pulling away from the diaper.
I wear north shore Supremes when traveling but still wear plastic pants . I just feel naked without them, and they do buy you little extra smell protection ,no matter what type of diaper your using.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back