Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Happy Canada Day

Default Happy Canada Day

Today is Canada Day and it's our 150th birthday. Right now it's pouring rain, but it's one of the great things about living here: if you don't like the weather, just stick around for five minutes and it'll change.

I think Canadians are a pretty reserved, polite people overall and we don't tend to wear our patriotism on our sleeve. We are proud to be Canadians, but mostly we are simply grateful for what we have. When we look around and see what is happening in Syria and the Middle East, we appreciate living in a democracy without dictatorship. Our politics may be considered boring in comparison to other countries, but when I see countries divided on splitting up or living under a misogynist, racist leader, I have to think that sometimes boring can be pretty good.

As for me, I'm grateful to live in a country that legalized same-sex marriage a dozen years ago. Gays and lesbians can walk down the street hand in hand and not even be noticed.

I'm grateful for a universal health care system that ensures every person in our country will receive quality health care regardless of income or ability to pay. The poor get the same care as the rich.

I'm grateful to live in a country that has produced some of the finest, most literate artists in the world, such as Joni Mitchell, Margaret Atwood, Neil Young, and Gordon Lighfoot.

I'm grateful to live in a country that has punched above its weight in accepting and successfully resettling 25,000 Syrian refugees in a one-year period without incident.

I''m grateful for what Canada has contributed to the world of science and technolgy: Frederick Banting discovered insulin, Alexander Graham Bell imvented the telephone, Reginald Fessenden brought us the AM radio, and the arm of the space shuttle was designed and built in Canada. In our cold winters we invented the snowblower and snowmobile out of necessity!

I'm grateful to live in a country that has strong, reasonable gun control laws and that we don't have a 'culture' of guns in this country. We do not live in fear of one another.

We gave the world basketball, lacrosse and we are the home of modern day hockey, along with the hard cup jockstrap.

I'm grateful to live in a country that has demonstrated for thirty years that we do not need laws to regulate abortion. It is a private health matter between a woman and her doctor.

And most importantly....
    The most important thing...

It's really important...

We gave the world CAPTAIN KIRK, in the form of Canadian William Shatner.

Oh, look, the rain just stopped. Happy Canada Day to my fellow Canadians on this site, and to everyone who wishes they were Canadian.

I'm happy that Canada is happy today.

I'm also happy that Juno is going home shortly. Looking forward to NASCAR at Daytona tonight on broadcast TV, and a couple of slimeless, nudgeless, furless, not-tripping-over-the-black-lump-in-front-of-the-fridge days.

Happy Canadian day.

I listen to "Gun smoke" Recordings at bed time and the episode that I was listening to last night mentioned that it was the 87th Canada day.

Egor

Two thirds of my family is in Ontario and will be for the next three weeks as we have a cottage on Lake Harris. It's beautiful country up there, but nothing will be able to compare to Trumptopia, the best America ever that Trump has promised us. Soon we will be so tired of winning that all you Canadians will be begging to get into Trumptopia, but of course, we're adding Canada to the list of Muslim countries who aren't allowed to come to Trumptopia. All we have to do is come up with a new national anthem, you know, one that's better than the one we have.

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Two thirds of my family is in Ontario and will be for the next three weeks as we have a cottage on Lake Harris. It's beautiful country up there, but nothing will be able to compare to Trumptopia, the best America ever that Trump has promised us. Soon we will be so tired of winning that all you Canadians will be begging to get into Trumptopia, but of course, we're adding Canada to the list of Muslim countries who aren't allowed to come to Trumptopia. All we have to do is come up with a new national anthem, you know, one that's better than the one we have.
    That's true. Taxwinkletopia is already booked up.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...20-column.html

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    That's true. Taxwinkletopia is already booked up.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/c...20-column.html
    Maybe Canada will take Illinois? Happy Canada Day!!! I'll bet they don't want Chicago though.....

Quote Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
    Maybe Canada will take Illinois? Happy Canada Day!!! I'll bet they don't want Chicago though.....
    Why not? It's liberal, diverse and disadvantaged. Right up their alley. They took a good chunk of Syria, can the Gangster Disciples be any worse? Since it's on Lake Michigan, redrawing borders wouldn't be as awkward as you might think.

I could still go to the beach in Zion, or over in Indiana without a passport. Haven't been to the beach in Chicago this century.... traffic, taxes, parking and fees have gotten so ridiculous it's just not worth it any more.

Rahm's got too many sharp edges to be Canadian, but they can leave him walled off in Rahmonia.
    Last edited by Maxx; 03-Jul-2017 at 12:46.