My unpopular opinion

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nano

Est. Contributor
So, as the title suggests, my opinion about diapers and my preferred diapers are a bit different than the "usual" ABDL's, at least based on what I've read here.

So here it goes: I don't like plastic-backed diapers. In any given situation I would prefer cloth-backed over plastic-backed diapers. And I also actually like pull-ups and wear them regularly.
It's not like I dislike plastic-backed diapers, I just prefer cloth-backed way more.

I've thought about this and I think the reason is not in the way the diaper feels, cloth- or plastic-backed, but inside my head. As I was born in the late 1990s, I think all baby diapers were cloth-backed. I just don't associate plastic-backed diapers to my childhood like I do with cloth-backed and pull-ups. Because my interest in diapers has been present since childhood, this is most propably the reason. Cloth-backed diapers feel just like the diapers from my childhood and pull-ups like Tena Pants or Abena's Abri Flex are very similar and just like upscaled versions of the pull-ups I used to wear as a child (Libero Up&Go). They look and feel the same as the diapers I used to wear almost twenty years ago, so it takes me back mentally. Even the little tape you use to roll up the used diaper is present in them.

The other reason is that I don't have any complaints about cloth-backed diapers or pull ups. I only wear premium diapers so that is a big factor and "premium" pull-ups (if you could say so). Good pull-ups like Abri-Flex can actually be good diapers, and I personally like them a lot. They are miles apart from some crappy store brand pull-ups that everyone seems to hate.

So, what are your guys opinions and has anyone else noticed something like this?

I think you hit right on the issue of why people prefer one over the other. For a lot of people the type of diaper they like is heavily influenced by what they grew up with. I will always prefer plastic backed diapers and cloth backed pull-ups, but don't really care for true cloth diapers or cloth backed diapers because I grew up in the mid 80's to early 90s, and those are what a "diaper" is to me.

No arguments here, that's what you like, and my feeling is that the abdl diaper market has been very aggressive and it's only a matter of time before you see more variety in the cloth backed state, I'm hoping for catipillar stretch soon!!!

Everyone likes what they like. Personally I have tried a lot of variations and since I'm a 24/7 wearer I tend to use them as well. My odd body shape isn't good for pull-ups as either there too small or too big and when I go in them the sag basically causes to to fall off or leak. I also prefer to wear for a while before changing and the instant I pee in a cloth backed diaper I immediately smell urine. Plastic backed just keep smells in better. I can go a few hours and many wettings before smells or leaks happen. But that's my opinion.

i like cloth backed bit more like baby diapers

I think cloth backed and pull ups both have their place in our world and while I personally prefer plastic backed tape on style diapers, I currently have seni, North shore and tena cloth backed diapers as well as wellness, North shore, tena and always discreet pull ups that I use on occasion. I just don't use them mainstream because they tend to get clammy and even with support they tend to sag enough to leak, especially the pull ups. That being pull ups and cloth backed diapers do and always will have a place in my stash

No judgement here! I have a place for both in my stash personally. I wore plastic back as a baby, but my first experience with AB/DL were cloth backed huggies both baby diapers and goodnites at age 10! Born in late 93 so I was kinda in the middle of the change

There will be a special place in my heart for all those things, sadly I have long outgrown the goodnites and baby diapers of my childhood, and since become IC, so I guess I'll have to make dye with what's available to me now.

you like what you like, people are products of their times, years from now abdl who like plastic backed diapers will probably be the odd balls

Nano said:
So here it goes: I don't like plastic-backed diapers.]

Well, I'm with you. In addition to preferring cloth-backed disposables, I'm also way into actual cloth diapers (prefolds + pins + plastic pants). What's funny is that prefolds are still relatively popular as cloth diapers go, despite the appearance of all-in-ones and other "advances" in baby cloth-diapering. You can still buy them at Target, Walmart, and Babies 'R' Us, although the best ones are online-only. On the other hand, the plastic-backed disposable baby diapers that existed when I was a kid are nowhere around now. Babies don't wear plastic-backed disposable diapers. As somebody for whom the babyishness of a diaper is supremely important, that's one reason why I find plastic-backed diapers off-putting: They don't appear classic like the cloth prefold, nor are they modern like the cloth-backed disposable. Instead, they just seem... :shrug: ...outdated. To me.

It's possible that if my mom had diapered me in plastic Pampers, I'd still find the thought of plastic-backed diapers appealing, but it's by no means certain. Unlike so many other DLs, my childhood affinity for actual baby diapers never disappeared. In addition to prefolds and other cloth diapers, both baby and adult, I've been buying and using Pampers since I was 12 years old--for nearly 30 years. It was all of the Pampers, Luvs, and Huggies commercials scattered among the after-school cartoons on TV that sparked my interest in disposable baby diapers, and once I'd started buying them with my allowance, I was along for the ride. The prints changed, the shapes changed, the scents changed, the plastic exteriors became cloth-like, and the tapes became Velcro tabs. Etc., etc., etc. Disposable baby diapers are still very much a moving target. I think, largely because I introduced myself to them later in my childhood, I became hooked more on the notion of wearing and using an actual baby product than on the specific manifestation of that product, if that makes any sense.

But in prefolds, my tastes are ultra specific. I have an enormous stash of vintage Curity-brand baby prefolds, the very sort I was diapered in as a baby. I greedily hoard them when I find them on eBay. And I use them. A lot. I even had some of them made into adult diapers for me. I also have quite a stash of modern adult prefolds. Only a few of those see regular use, though, and those are the ones that come closest to the appearance and feel of the old Curity diapers. When people ask me for cloth diaper recommendations, I try to be careful to point out that my own preferences are not based on any sort of objective evaluation, but are instead very fetishy, rooted in qualities I find sexually appealing for various inscrutable reasons.

Analyzing one's own diaper preferences is kinda fun. :)

Oh you people are strange :)

While I know we are still waiting I am sure it won't be long before a cloth back ABDL diaper that looks modern and a decent ABDL pullon are released.

It would make sense they are next target items rather than yet another MyDiaper shell.

Not a big fan off pull ups but i prefer cottonback diapers aswell.
But to be honest I wear both because we always have both laying around

I like plastic Tranquality

- - - Updated - - -

Fitright?

I don't particularly mind cloth-backed diapers (I'm wearing one now, as I wait for a reorder shipment of my daily wear), but what makes me choose plastic-backed over cloth-backed isn't as much my memories of the time, but that you can't seem to get the cloth back ones snug enough. They always stretch and start falling down, need to have their tapes re-adjusted, and a common problem is seepage from the standing leak guards to the backsheet near crotch (starts to feel clammy around the legs). That and plastic-backed tends to be better at containing smells (at least in my experience).

I totally agree that what you like is almost certainly based on what you grew up with, but there are other reasons out there - especially when wearing is no longer a choice for us IC types ;)

Actually your thinking is pretty well in line with most here. I've notice for quite a while that most everyone prefers the types of diapers they had when they were babies or very young and remeber when they started wearing diapers again.

Go back to the 60s or earlier, and most abdls prefer using traditional pinned cloth diapers. From the 70s through most of the 90s and its all plastic disposables. From the 2000s on most prefer cloth like disposables. Well not those exact dates and everyone, just generally about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back