Not open for further replies.

KimbaFoxNatsume

Pokemon Trainer in, err, Training... Pants
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
My dad and I went to see this today. I really wanted to go to the drive-in like we did for the first two Cars, but circumstances kind of played against that and we ended up at the regular theater.

I won't post any spoilers, but while it was a little better than Cars 2 I think, it was far from as good as the first one. They just can't capture re-capture the charm, although I think they would have a better chance of doing so if they based a movie in Radiator Springs again.

I can't deny feeling a very pleasant wave of nostalgia as the movie started though.

I was a bit surprised that they did a Cars 3. I felt like #2 was a bust. #1 was decent, but far from my favorite Pixar flick. I think it's a case of John Lasseter having a particular "thing" for cars, and being in a position to get his way. The trouble with Cars, for me, is pretty straightforward: I just don't find the characters relatable. They're all machines! :) I say that half-jokingly, but I do think that it's a real problem with the franchise.

Last edited:
Cars was an instant hit with me when I first saw it back 2006. There's a few Pixar feature films I haven't seen, but I think it's still my favorite out of those I have.

If I recall correctly, Cars 3 got so-so reviews whereas Cars 2 got poor reviews. Cars 1 got the best of reviews. I saw Cars 1 and it was okay but I agree with Cottontail, it's more difficult to develop car personalities as cars do what cars do, go froom froom!

Cottontail said:
The trouble with Cars, for me, is pretty straightforward: I just don't find the characters relatable. They're all machines! :) I say that half-jokingly, but I do think that it's a real problem with the franchise.

Ha ha! That was my first thought when I heard about the original Cars. I didn't see it for years, but I really like it when I did. But yeah... I agree... it seems very abstract to anthropomorphise a machine... :)

I never really looked at the movie characters as being unrelatable because they're cars. It was hard not to love Mater and the colorful crew. It was a novel concept and a really fun film for me. Perhaps the fact that I grew up in a car-centric environment played a part in that.

Anyway, there was a small segment of the new movie about what would be the automobile equivalent of incontinence. So I'll revise my original statement. WARNING: MINOR SPOILER BELOW!!!

Lightning McQueen's new trainer puts him on this machine that tilts him on his head, eh, front end, to ''get the oil in places it hasn't been in a long time.'' To his displeasure, she puts a drip pan underneath him for ''just in case.''

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
I never really looked at the movie characters as being unrelatable because they're cars. It was hard not to love Mater and the colorful crew. It was a novel concept and a really fun film for me. Perhaps the fact that I grew up in a car-centric environment played a part in that.

Anyway, there was a small segment of the new movie about what would be the automobile equivalent of incontinence. So I'll revise my original statement. WARNING: MINOR SPOILER BELOW!!!

Lightning McQueen's new trainer puts him on this machine that tilts him on his head, eh, front end, to ''get the oil in places it hasn't been in a long time.'' To his displeasure, she puts a drip pan underneath him for ''just in case.''

Sorry for going a little off topic but did you wore your Lightning McQueen Pullup while watching the movie?

Last edited:
AnimeDude892 said:
Sorry for going a little off topic but did you wore your Lightning McQueen Pullup while watching the movie?

No, I wore an Abena L4. Didn't use it though and took it off when I got home; eventually changed into Pull-Ups though.

I did see the first one as a kid, and liked it for two reasons; Obviously talking cars and that Mater was voiced by Larry the cable guy. I've not seen the second one but played the game on Wii. I'll watch that and the new one when it gets released on Blu-ray.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back