Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: "Hardware Elitism"

Default "Hardware Elitism"

This is one thing that bothers me about online communities when it comes to building a computer, I'm going to over exaggerate the following, but it does apply often.

Lets say you wanted to build a computer that plays league of legends, most people would just use something like Intel HD 4400 or whatever... that's not good enough for the elitist, what you REALLY need is a.

GTX Titan Z otherwise you're going to get shitty performance.

Oh you have a crappy chinese power supply, that cost you $10 of ebay, I need a new power supply, is this $50 dollar coolermaster good enough? nah get this $800 dollar one.

Not sure if you you've ever seen it before, but it's kind of funny, my $800 dollar computer plays most games fine, even on 1080p dunno why people suggest fucking overpriced components to do basic stuff.

I know a few people like this, drives me mental, sure I can understand in some cases it makes sense to actually get the components, but not everyone needs a bloody GTX Titan to play League of Legends.

Reminds me of those linux fanboys who suggest linux all the time, kinda funny (yes I'm a "linux fanboy" but I still have to use windows myself, so it doesn't make sense to use linux to do video editing for example.

What is it with hardware elitists recommending stupid crap, for basic gaming etc? oh you have a computer from 2006 and need to drive 3 or 4 monitors, don't get that $30 dollar graphics card, buy this $800 dollar one, or you'll get shitty performance.

Some folks are just anal about specs for whatever reason. I will admit that I built myself a computer for about $1200. I didn't go for the top shelf components, but I did go for middle of the pack. I have a lot of room for improvement if I need it. I just don't see the need to spend a ton of money on hardware that will most likely be irrelevant for a few years before it becomes common and cost a less amount later.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

I look to the internet for advice on lots of things. Electronics, automotive, plumbing, you name it.

There's no entry fee, so any nimrod can put up a youtube video or post on a forum. Whatever it is, I look for several sources, and try to find some agreement on solutions to my issue. Some people are obvious hacks, so you have to take their thoughts with a grain of salt, and then there are the elitists as you call them. Some value can be found even in their advice, though, if you can determine what specs they find important in the high zoot products, and why. It may not be necessary to get all the top end specs to do what you need as opposed to what they need.

A while back the shift linkage in my car came undone. Failed bushing. Went looking through Autozone, dealers, etc, it looked like I'd have to drop a couple hundred on replacing the entire cable assembly. Found some guy via a forum selling specialty replacement urethane bushings for tuners and racers... $20. Way better than original equipment... but way cheaper than replacing the whole assembly.

FWIW, I've gotten more useful advice here on computers than I have in some other computer specific sites.
    Last edited by Maxx; 20-Jun-2017 at 20:31.

I'll love to add a story here about the budget PC I was building, asked for advice on the most affordable processor and ram right.

The following specs were as follows.
    Intel Celeron XXXX 2.70 ghz
    4GB DDR3

There like that's not good enough, you have to spend at least $800 otherwise it'll be crap then they recommend stupid crap like
    Intel Core i7
    16GB DDR3

Why, I just want a simple linux machine that I could use for the next 2 years for programming and room for upgrades, ironically I went with my budget PC and upgraded it to reasonable components later on anyway. a lot of people don't seem to understand if you don't have the money and most likely won't for a long time it doesn't make sense to spend $800 on a PC when you can only afford $400 and that'll be it for the next 2 years.

Luckily I went with my budget PC and upgraded it once I had the dosh to the guy who suggested I pay $800 on a computer to watch youtube do some light C++ coding, fuck you man :P

Mind you it was a perfect machine for the tasks I wanted to do, could even play league properly with 50fps on high I believe, I obviously upgraded because I needed to upgrade to play the latest games, even than I didn't need a $500 dollar GPU just to do that, plus at the end of the day your hardware is going to be out dated in a year or so, so no point spending $3000 on a graphics card when a year later, something faster and better will be half the price.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    I look to the internet for advice on lots of things. Electronics, automotive, plumbing, you name it.

There's no entry fee, so any nimrod can put up a youtube video or post on a forum. Whatever it is, I look for several sources, and try to find some agreement on solutions to my issue. Some people are obvious hacks, so you have to take their thoughts with a grain of salt, and then there are the elitists as you call them. Some value can be found even in their advice, though, if you can determine what specs they find important in the high zoot products, and why. It may not be necessary to get all the top end specs to do what you need as opposed to what they need.
    Yup. There's no need to get upset because of some crazy mofo spouting nonsense.

If there's one thing I can guarantee you in this life... it's that you will vehemently disagree with some people. But that's fine; it's normal. What isn't (quite) "normal" is you (LittleJess) worrying about other people you disagree with. When my anxiety was at its worst, I did exactly the same. I was as depressed/anxious as fuck, and focussed my attention on other people's craziness instead of my own. Other people can drive you crazy if you let 'em!

You can't just wave a wand and make everyone in your life "normal". People are weird... People are fucking weird. You don't need to worry about their weirdness or figure out why they are weird... You just need to accept the fact that... that's the way people are. You can't change anyone else but yourself, so stop worrying about other people! If you know the score, don't let them get to you. Forget what other people think, and listen to your own mind. What do you think? Just ignore everyone else!

A while back the shift linkage in my car came undone. Failed bushing. Went looking through Autozone, dealers, etc, it looked like I'd have to drop a couple hundred on replacing the entire cable assembly. Found some guy via a forum selling specialty replacement urethane bushings for tuners and racers... $20. Way better than original equipment... but way cheaper than replacing the whole assembly.

FWIW, I've gotten more useful advice here on computers than I have in some other computer specific sites.
    Heh. My two identical showers started leaking. The only "official" replaceable part was the "cartridge" which cost about 150. Some clever chap on eBay listed a couple of O-rings, some silicon sealant and instructions for 2. I (stupidly) bought one of each. The 2 fix was just as good as the 150 repair. :-/

I'm working on writing a game for my old Vectrex. It sports an 8-bit 6809 processor with TWO -- that's right TWO -- accumulators! Fancy, eh? ^.^ Oh, video memory? What's that?

It's a shame that the art of wrangling performance out of limited hardware is slowly being lost. But there are some of us who still find it fun, and laugh up our sleeve at people who just need to have the latest newest most expensive system. ^.^

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphyre View Post
    I'm working on writing a game for my old Vectrex. It sports an 8-bit 6809 processor with TWO -- that's right TWO -- accumulators! Fancy, eh? ^.^ Oh, video memory? What's that?

It's a shame that the art of wrangling performance out of limited hardware is slowly being lost. But there are some of us who still find it fun, and laugh up our sleeve at people who just need to have the latest newest most expensive system. ^.^
    You have been promoted to my pantheon of old (but cheap) gods.

You have been promoted to my pantheon of old (but cheap) gods.
    ROFL... thanks I think. ^.^ And if you know where to find Vectrex systems cheap, do let me in on it... last I checked I was better off buying them new in the 80's. o.O

There's a constantly increasing benchmark for what is necessary to run AAA titles with high resolutions. That has skyrocketed for 4K, but 4K graphics are for the most part unnecessary or too expensive for consumers. This has led to a number of people overly beefing up their system, either for future compatibility or bragging rights. For the most part, however, most people wouldn't need the extra resources.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJess View Post
    GTX Titan Z otherwise you're going to get shitty performance.
    This one is incompetence from wannabe elitists

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJess View Post
    Oh you have a crappy chinese power supply, that cost you $10 of ebay, I need a new power supply, is this $50 dollar coolermaster good enough? nah get this $800 dollar one.
    the 800$ one is incompetence. However, from experience, do not skimp on power supply or you can get wierd and strange problems. The 50$ one is more than good enough. Just get one atleast 25% overspecced (PSU runs colder = less power wasted on heat = cheaper power bill)

why people suggest fucking overpriced components to do basic stuff.
    incompetence again

I know a few people like this, drives me mental, sure I can understand in some cases it makes sense to actually get the components, but not everyone needs a bloody GTX Titan to play League of Legends.
    Gonna have to say incompetence/trolling

What is it with hardware elitists recommending stupid crap, for basic gaming etc? oh you have a computer from 2006 and need to drive 3 or 4 monitors, don't get that $30 dollar graphics card, buy this $800 dollar one, or you'll get shitty performance.
    Usually this is youth that just wanna brag of their computer knowledge, but in reality they have no clue.

Tip (not related to OP)
    Don't buy the cheapest new components. Go next step up and you usually get alot more performance and reliability for the cash.
    And always give a max budget you'd like to spend on forums/while talking to wannabe elitists and you usually get much more sensible answers