Anyone else find it hard to find the amazing in life?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Argent

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
Hi peeps,

So don't get me wrong, I have a good life, I work hard, am responsible with money, have a fabulous wife and kids, have access to amazing diapers (thanks ABU), love anime and even found a new hobby that is social, energetic, has awesome welcome people and I don't need to excel (just participate as I can.)

Apart from all that I still let daft stuff get me down taking the shine off life, spiking my anger etc... Anyone else feel life just isn't that great or fulfilling or just good enough?

Cheer up Charlie :) maybe it's just Winter, that has a way of dulling the bling in life.

Yeah, I feel that way often, mostly due to me being transgender and due to my depression, I know the feeling, :( it's awful.

I tend to feel down because I have the opposite problem - I have very little in life. I know you gotta try to make do with what you have and be happy in the chances you get, but - you can only do such much when you feel so insecure deep down inside, not knowing what the future holds.

KimbaWolfNagihiko said:
I tend to feel down because I have the opposite problem - I have very little in life. I know you gotta try to make do with what you have and be happy in the chances you get, but - you can only do such much when you feel so insecure deep down inside, not knowing what the future holds.

Paradoxically, in this case, the future mostly holds what you make it hold. Or that's been my experience. Sometimes you just have to cover your eyes, point, and then go where you pointed. You may not end up anyplace that's objectively better, but it might seem better anyway because of the resolve it took to get there. I've definitely experienced a few cases of that, and they were empowering, if nothing else.

I think most of us walk a treadmill. It's normal to be stuck in a rut. For years, I looked forward to retirement. Now that I'm mostly retired, I find I do the same things and that's it's difficult to initiate new things. There's a lot I'd like to do to fix up the house, but there are also obstacles to that.

Professionally when I started out, I had a climbing career and I worked with some of the most accomplished musician in the U. S. But after I moved to Lynchburg, that all stopped. Lynchburg was a great place to raise a family, but I also call it the destroyer of all careers. Sometimes, life just does that. It stops us in our place.

In the last few years, I've written and self published a novel. Now I'm learning to play some of the most difficult pieces written for piano. It makes me feel good but professionally, it goes nowhere. Most of the time I'm okay with that. Still, I'd rather have a house on the beach.

We let ourselves tell that life must feel amazing 100% of the time and if not, oh boy, something is odd with you, better seek therapy and throw in a xanax.
Nope, I think we need to adjust our expectations to the reality of our human nature. If we were ever satisfied for more than a few days our race would already became extinct.
We need that occasional unhappiness.
What you can do is accept this fact that we are not designed to feel amazing all the time. If you feel way more amazing than sad then you are one lucky guy. Accept this and it will be much better. Also, without those downs the ups wouldn't exist. They would be a mere plateau of always the same stuff. So embrace the downs as part of life. Ying and Yang....or something like that.

I certainly feel this way. In my case it is due to major depression. My life has not been the same since the sudden, unexpected death of my lifelong best friend -- in fact I often say that I stopped living when he died, and have since then been merely existing, just going through the motions. The "color" and vitality of life is gone, and it's difficult to maintain interest in things -- where by contrast I formerly had many fascinations that I spent time pondering. Things that once filled me with profound wonder now seem like just something I've seen a hundred times before. My heart just isn't in it.

What amazes me is how many people describe having a completely vacuous "life" as normal and think there is nothing wrong with never feeling anything.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back