Diuretics: The Same As Suppositories/Laxatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.

PuppyLover

𝓒𝓻𝔂𝓫𝓪𝓫𝔂
Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Recently I've noticed that I haven't been 'going #1' as often as I feel I should. At first, I thought it was me holding for too long, which was causing some sort of infection or bacteria build up in my bladder. I asked my doctor about it, and she said that everything seemed to be normal, and I was fine. Well, over the past week, I've only been going about once a day. So far, I haven't been feeling any discomfort, but whenever I do go, it feels like nothing comes out.

So, I did a quick google search, and found a few ways to increase urination. From more water, to coffee and tea's, to kidney cleanses, to... douche-ing? I've tried drinking 9-10 cups of water, coffee, tea, you name it, a day, and I've only been able to go once a day.

That's when I read another article about diuretics and water pills. I've heard about them, but I always thought that they were for water retention and infections. I've also seen suppositories that act in the same way. I know that water pills are 100% off limits and should only be used when prescribed by a doctor. But there is something that I've been looking to try that borders on the definition of a 'water pill'

"Nature's Way: Dandelion Root- Health & longevity through the healing power of nature—that's what it means to Trust the Leaf.

Dandelion (Taraxacum officinale) is a popular bitter with a long history of use as an herbal remedy. Its name comes from the French "dents du lion", or "teeth of the lion", due to the shape of the leaf.

Our Dandelion is carefully grown, tested and produced to certified quality standards."

I've read every review I could find, and It seems pretty harmless. I wanted to know If anyone has tried/recommends this supplement as a good way to promote urination. I've also heard that Dandelion Root tea's are effective as well. I just want another opinion before I order the product.

Product:https://www.iherb.com/pr/Nature-s-Way-Dandelion-Root-525-mg-100-Capsules/50885?gclid=Cj0KEQjwyZjKBRDu--WG9ayT_ZEBEiQApZBFuFi3owgVFCJIbwZ4OQdj8gAbJmsfei5zNayTiexO1S0aAoDU8P8HAQ

TL;DR:

ARE DANDELION ROOT SUPPLEMENTS SAFE? :confused: :confused:

(P.S.- Could It be water retention even If I don't notice any swelling?)
NWY-12300-3.jpg

~UPDATE~

I got a call from my doctor, and she confirmed that it was water retention. Thank goodness I don't have kidney stones or anything. Unfortunately, I have to do a kidney cleanse, but I'm glad the problem was solved.

Last edited:
I'd be careful with anything like dandelions or other herbal remedies... abuse can lead to some very serious side effects

Perhaps you can get another opinion from another doctor about it. Urinating once per day seems awfully unhealthy, unless you sweat relentlessly. This is also caused by sugar, salt, and a possibility of kidney problems

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Sounds to me a Kidney problem get in to the ER fast! They will get to the bottom of it

Yeah... going once a day doesn't seem right, especially because this is something new for you. All those cups of fluid you've been drinking should come back out. I'd go back to the doctor.

Oh once a day? o_0 Are you drinking 8-10 cups of water and if so are you running marathons like daily? if not to the second and yes to the first you may have some issues retaining water.

unless you sweat relentlessly.

Im usually sweating 24/7, so maybe that's the issue?

Do you seem to be retaining fluids? Is there puffyness in your feet or legs? If not, your kidneys are probably working correctly. I would try drinking cranberry juice and drinking tea. Iced tea is good this time of year.

If you can press your pointer and middle finger into just above your inner ankle and keep it pressed for one minute and release it and it leaves impressions of finger tips you have edema . Get help quick.

As mentioned, don't use a diuretic without a prescription. Although I don't think you can get a proper diuretic over the counter anyway.

That said, all diuretics lower your blood pressure. If it's already high, this is possibly a good thing. If not, you could end up with low blood pressure which will leave you feeling weak, and prone to fainting when you stand up after sitting. The lower it goes, the more extreme the risk. This is not ideal, but it can be used safely if prescribed. Diuretics are not hard on the liver, and have few other complications.

Further, there are potassium-sparing diuretics that mean you body builds up an excess of potassium. You'd want frequent blood tests to make sure it doesn't go too high. The worst effect from too much potassium is that your heart would stop. I can't imagine you'd get prescribed one of these unless you had dangerously low potassium levels, which can also be lethal. Also, transgender women get prescribed Spironolactone to block testosterone's effects, but it's also a potassium-sparing diuretic which just so happens to block testosterone receptors.

Edema can certainly be life threatening, but some people live with it forever. They sell special compression socks to prevent your legs from being able to retain the fluids. Some causes of edema can be incurable. Definitely get to a doctor *ASAP* to make sure, but I just wanted to say that you shouldn't freak out and assume you're near death if you have it.

WHOA, exactly how much water are you taking in per day? The world health organization recommends your start off with (8) 8oz cups of water per day, AND increase that intake depending on your weight, sweating, humidity, temp, etc.

In other words, you should be drinking about 2 liters of water per day. Anything less any you're dehydrated.

Peeing just a little bit, and once a day, is NOT normal. Sweating alone cannot acount for that much of a difference. If you really are taking in that amount, but not excreting it, then you seriosly need to see a doctor. ASAP!

Seriously, I just had this happen to me. I have a urethral blockage that nearly killed me. I had to have the ER put in a catheter through my abdomen in order to drain my bladder. If they hadn't, I would likely have died of kidney failure that night. Do not mess around with this.

In all seriousness, please see a doctor, this at least should be looked at by a professional to make sure this isn't something serious if you are getting proper fluid amounts.

rennecfox said:
In all seriousness, please see a doctor, this at least should be looked at by a professional to make sure this isn't something serious if you are getting proper fluid amounts.
If this member is not careful they will literally drown in their own fluids. This to me is deadly serious. I may be sensationalizing it but when a life is on the line possibly I get deadly serious. Spot On!

No, there isn't a urination version of laxatives. Diuretics simply increase urine production. Laxatives in comparison stimulate and/or irritate the muscles of the anal sphincter and colon, causing them to contract and expel feces. Diuretics don't do that, they just make the body make more urine so you'll have to pee sooner, but it won't be any easier or harder to hold it. Whereas laxatives in high enough dosage can inhibit holding ability since they effect how the muscles can expand and contract.

what color is your urine if your only going once a day? if it's not clear then your not getting enough water intake

DracoAmericanus said:
what color is your urine if your only going once a day? if it's not clear then your not getting enough water intake
Probably its dark apple cider color. maybe even darker. Thing is this is not good either way you look at it. after further consideration maybe a stone is obstructing the duct or a tumor. possibly. Sorry I am a straight talker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back