Fidget Spinners~

Status
Not open for further replies.

AdorbzLittleGirl

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Little
Yes, it's the latest fad that's been sweeping the nation. However, these actually help a lot of people. I have two, and they help a lot with my anxiety and autism as well. I consider mine to be a stim toy. My mom told me that these also help kids do their homework. They'll spin it on the table and see if they can finish their work before the spinner stops.

With that said, does anyone have them? How do you feel they help you if you do?

Never seen one but just googled and they have Dragon ones so now I want!

The problem with fads is that a lot of people will start using it, and than they'll get banned in schools and the poor people with autism and other problems won't be able to use them.

That being said, I can't stand them, mostly due to my sensory issues, but everyone with autism is different.

My wife and I were invited over to dinner at our son's house. He had one and was playing with it. They've been banned from most students at school because they are distracting, but our son is a middle school principle, so that's sort of funny I guess.

I wouldn't be surprised if they were being banned in schools. Kids tend to abuse them in classes and such. It's the same for me when we were allowed to have music. Kids would abuse it because they would listen during lectures, causing teachers to ban it. This made it harder for people like me who needed music to be able to focus better.

i've got my feeling-cloth, so i'm good :thumbsup:
back in the day, and what i've still got one of, i used to play with tape-deck flywheels; they usually had an axle/spindle press-fitted and worked well as a table-top spinning-top. actually, thinking about it, i'll have ago at spinning anything.

My kids have one but they share.

My son has one, but isn't allowed to bring it to school. The bus drivers have banned them on the busses, too. I don't know... Sometimes it seems like the threshold for banning things has gotten a bit too low. I remember, in the early 1980s, my elementary school tried to ban Velcro shoes (they were a new thing). They nearly succeeded, but parents pushed back. Instead, the teachers implemented harsher punishments for kids who played with the Velcro straps during class. That seems like a fine approach, too: Punish the bad behaviors. Learning restraint is actually important.

Cottontail said:
My son has one, but isn't allowed to bring it to school. The bus drivers have banned them on the busses, too. I don't know... Sometimes it seems like the threshold for banning things has gotten a bit too low. I remember, in the early 1980s, my elementary school tried to ban Velcro shoes (they were a new thing). They nearly succeeded, but parents pushed back. Instead, the teachers implemented harsher punishments for kids who played with the Velcro straps during class. That seems like a fine approach, too: Punish the bad behaviors. Learning restraint is actually important.

It seems like every few years there's a new fad that comes along that gets banned in schools, doesn't it? Like Silly Bandz.

Velcro shoes were a hit with me as a kid, as I was late to learn to tie laces.

I'm a very kinetic person: I'm always moving in some way. It's actually distracting for OTHER people. As soon as fidget cubes became a thing my wife got me one. It is absolutely awesome in social situations because I can (and do!) use it in my pocket. It helps me keep still and quells my anxiety. The fidget cube is my favorite for regular use.

I have a fidget spinner as well. It really helps me to concentrate. In fact, I do a couple different radio shows and the spinner helps me to focus on my train of thought and improves my interaction with co-hosts. It's not anything miraculous. It just helps to prevent my mind from going of into the paw paw patch (not sure if that's how it's spelled).

I have two of them that I bought at a flea market for five bucks each. The first one is white with metal rings and it spins faster than my other one. My second one is light blue that lights up, just press the coins.

I also have a fidget cube that comes with multiple features. It has five buttons that click, a circle pad, three gears that spin, a trackball, a switch to flick, and a Rotarian.

Both of them help me focus because I have ADHD.

LittleJess said:
The problem with fads is that a lot of people will start using it, and than they'll get banned in schools and the poor people with autism and other problems won't be able to use them.

That being said, I can't stand them, mostly due to my sensory issues, but everyone with autism is different.

If they do need them they can get a doctor's note about it, or have it put in their educational plan which will supersede a ban.

I have three of them. I use them when I do computer work.

I also deal with anxiety and mild autism, and I'm building a collection of fidget spinners as a hobby.

Maxx said:
Once upon a time it was tops, in my youth it was Duncan yo-yo's

Yes. Mine was a Duncan Imperial. They were pretty much allowed in my junior high. My, how times have changed.

Guess 95% of people dont need one. The others just get used to it. Its like a bad habit. Like a smoker will be calm after a cigarette. But I know on adisc there are many who will benefit from them.
I guess I will try one when offered. I learned to spin my pen at school. Cant help to do it ever since. Always annoying when it falls down.

So in the UK I barely saw a single one, I get to the US and they're everywhere, I wanted to buy one. I thought I'd buy one with the US flag on it because you guys put it on everything. Since buying it I've used it everyday and I've noticed I don't fidget as much as I used to. I have ADHD so I fidget a lot of will use objects such as pens to help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back