Why do people hate Depends?

Status
Not open for further replies.

EchoForest

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Little
I use the adjustable underwear for menorrhagia (heavy bleeding) and they work great. Can still hold one nighttime wetting and it's easy to put on and take off. Sure, they're no premium diaper, but for small things they work fine.
3db2d20454fd93135e64d857915648d1.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They're only good for women if you're a man don't work at all unless it was the early 90s depends have been really uncomfortable for me

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk

I tried the Adjustable Underwear once, wasn't impressed enough to buy them again... One because the leak guards were pretty much non-existent, two because I just found the mix of pull-up style with tapes... unsettling to my psyche, I guess...? I view diapers with a very fixed mindset: adult pull-ups I view as ''training pants'' while a tape-on is a genuine ''diaper'' to me.

For a guy they are just no good. Even the maximum fit flex can barely hold a small drip.

I use depends or store brand for just around the house daily diapering for my urge incontinence. If I'm going out? I need something a little better. It's just up to your needs.

Last time I wore the adjustable underwear, it felt like I had a wadded up toilet paper roll between my legs and later gave me a bad rash on my thighs.

Hate? I don't hate Depends. Like many here, Depends were my first exposure to incontinence wear, and I didn't like them. I discovered Always Discreet and even though I am male, I was much more satisfied with them - not because they are feminine, or were pullups rather than adjustable but because of the leak guards. I havent looked very hard for store brands with good leak guards and have never tried any of the store brand adjustable wear as the Always is working fine, but then, I do use premium adult diapers most of the time.

Well .. truth is they are not the greatest diaper out there.. they are thin and don't hold a lot. That said, i think probably half those that go on and on about how horrible they are have never tried 'em, it just has become a 'thing' to dis on Depends. i buy them (Depend Protection with Tabs) fairly regularly and have found that doubled up they still are much cheaper and are about as good as the bottom tier premium diapers, and they have a few advantages over a lot of diapers out there, the plastic shell is one of the best, and their tapes stay stuck.

When you price it out as cost per day instead of cost per brief they are actually more expensive than many of the more premium diapers.

Per brief they are cheaper, but you use more than twice as many and they aren't half the price.

i was getting my Depends for $11 /20 briefs.. doubled up that gave me $11 per ten changes, each change was comparable to an Abriform M4/Molicare/Absobency +.. plus i used to be able to buy them at 2am

- - - Updated - - -

i understand people are different, we all have different body types and ways we use diapers.. Depends have their place in my nursery..

Here is my take on Depends. Late 80's to early 90's Depends Fitted Briefs were the cats Meow the green backed ones especially the overnight ones . Once they moved production from Wisconsin to Mexico the quality dropped like a lead balloon and went from Green plastic to white. Depend said they are new & improved protection that is a bold face lie.. once you lie to me as a consumer dang straight I will label ya with the word Hate..

I've never actually tried Depends. As a younger guy, I remember the commercials for them and that was when they had straps and buttons so to me, that wasn't technically a "diaper" as it didn't fit my imagery of one. When I realized some years later they actually WERE diapers, I had better choices that suited my personality. When I turned 40, my sister gave me a joke over-the-hill present. It was a sample pack of Depend pullups. Some sort of "Ha, ha, you're getting older" joke. But she doesn't know I'm ABDL so that gift backfired and I actually enjoyed it.

Hate would be appropriate. Depends used to make a great diaper, but that was 20+ years ago. Except every time the touted some "improvement" their overall capacity and reliability went down, sometimes with the price going up too. What they have today simply cannot hold even one full flooding, let alone the 300-400 ml of overnight wetting.

I wouldn't hate them so much, except they continue to say their brand just keeps getting better and better, that they are "dependable", and able to work great without being noticed. Except whey you actually try them, you get the exact opposite. So yeah, I hate them for lying to everyone. Now if depends instead were to say they are great for minor stress leaking or light incontinence, then at least they would be truthful and not get that same level of hate from me.

one thing about Depend diaper brand that does cause me frustration is; i used to be able to go into a typical pharmacy and have a choice of Curity Disposables, Attends Disposables and Depend Disposables. then somewhere in the 'late '80's Curity Disposables stopped being stocked, then in the late '90's Attends became rare to non-existent on shelves. i do not know but i presume this was some kind of monopolizing from P&G. Now mostly what you see on shelves is Depend products and generic or store brands.

i do believe Depend (the plastic backed three tape per side diaper) has suffered for quality over the years and agree improvements were mostly only improvements to profit, but i think as we become more used to thicker and better diapers, Depends also appear to be getting worse in perception by comparison. i remember the first time i tried an Abriform (can't remember what they were called .. something different than M4 .. X Plus?) and it felt like i was strapping a mattress between my legs, i just went through a memory lane period and bought a pack of M4's and thought ho-hum..

Tommycombs said:
I've never actually tried Depends. As a younger guy, I remember the commercials for them and that was when they had straps and buttons so to me, that wasn't technically a "diaper" as it didn't fit my imagery of one. When I realized some years later they actually WERE diapers, I had better choices that suited my personality. When I turned 40, my sister gave me a joke over-the-hill present. It was a sample pack of Depend pullups. Some sort of "Ha, ha, you're getting older" joke. But she doesn't know I'm ABDL so that gift backfired and I actually enjoyed it.
What you saw was something called Belted undergarments basically a elongated Maxi Pad with 4 holes on the edges to put in fabric belts with 2 buttons on it. They were meant for a female or a very small male. I tried to use them and they were uncomfortable as heck talk about getting a wedgie OUCH!

- - - Updated - - -

randy1959 said:
one thing about Depend diaper brand that does cause me frustration is; i used to be able to go into a typical pharmacy and have a choice of Curity Disposables, Attends Disposables and Depend Disposables. then somewhere in the 'late '80's Curity Disposables stopped being stocked, then in the late '90's Attends became rare to non-existent on shelves. i do not know but i presume this was some kind of monopolizing from P&G. Now mostly what you see on shelves is Depend products and generic or store brands.

i do believe Depend (the plastic backed three tape per side diaper) has suffered for quality over the years and agree improvements were mostly only improvements to profit, but i think as we become more used to thicker and better diapers, Depends also appear to be getting worse in perception by comparison. i remember the first time i tried an Abriform (can't remember what they were called .. something different than M4 .. X Plus?) and it felt like i was strapping a mattress between my legs, i just went through a memory lane period and bought a pack of M4's and thought ho-hum..

Randy,
As I stated above when Kimberely Clark Corporation moved the production from Wisconsin to Mexico the quality went downhill FAST! Anything they say on new and improved in false advertising period plain and simple. and yes the Abena Abri Forms are still called X Plus its Abena Abri Form X Plus L or M 4 4168 .

randy1959 said:

No, I very clearly remember the old 3-tab, green, depends could easily hold one full flooding, and then even a second one. Just before they stopped making their plastic back depends, I had tried them once again when I ran out of my usual diapers and was on a trip. Their diapers simply could not hold even one full wetting. It was extremely frustrating to know they had something that worked good years ago, but were producing crap even then. And they have only gotten worse since (at least until recently now they've re-introduced the plastic back ones again- though I doubt they're any better than what was last discontinued).

So the only comparison is the 80's depends versus the 00's depends. They are much, much, worse than before.

Slomo said:
No, I very clearly remember the old 3-tab, green, depends could easily hold one full flooding, and then even a second one. Just before they stopped making their plastic back depends, I had tried them once again when I ran out of my usual diapers and was on a trip. Their diapers simply could not hold even one full wetting. It was extremely frustrating to know they had something that worked good years ago, but were producing crap even then. And they have only gotten worse since (at least until recently now they've re-introduced the plastic back ones again- though I doubt they're any better than what was last discontinued).

So the only comparison is the 80's depends versus the 00's depends. They are much, much, worse than before.
The overnights were the best I wore them 24-7 and loved them ! They fit beautifully was the best as far as comfortable wise. Man If I could afford the extortion prices from EBAY to get the ones they are advertising at 100 times the retail price ! UGH! And I will say this again it was only when Kimberely Clark moved production from Wisconsin to Mexico. Is when quality went down hill just look at the package it should still say MADE IN MEXICO ... Not MADE IN U S A .

xpluswearer said:
The overnights were the best I wore them 24-7 and loved them ! They fit beautifully was the best as far as comfortable wise. Man If I could afford the extortion prices from EBAY to get the ones they are advertising at 100 times the retail price ! UGH! And I will say this again it was only when Kimberely Clark moved production from Wisconsin to Mexico. Is when quality went down hill just look at the package it should still say MADE IN MEXICO ... Not MADE IN U S A .

Yeah, exactly. They really did work way back when. The same thing with Attends. And those six tapes have a huge improvement in their comfort and fit. If we tried to compare them to a modern diaper they would have easily been on par with Abena x-plus or Molicare Supers. Obviously that is not the case for today though. hence all the hate for ruining such a great product.

3d863e5d13cb8b6e1f74c5e998fc6907.jpg

LeafiniteLittle said:
3d863e5d13cb8b6e1f74c5e998fc6907.jpg

Which ones are those?
As you see it says Domestic and Imported parts My only guess the tapes come from 3 M that the only thing domestic on the diaper the rest is made and assembled in Mexico. Investigation is in order to find out exactly what is Domestic and what is Imported since all a item has to do is have one thing be made in the USA for it to be called made in USA to fool us all I aint buying it !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back