Why do people hate Depends?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Note said:
I think a bigger question is why do people like Depends...

My, how you have stirred my memories...

When I first got my hands on adult diapers, I was absolutely elated to finally just be ABLE to wear diapers. At that point in time, it didn't matter what the overall performance was, just that I could use it as a diaper without a care in the world. I didn't have any account online at the time and my only bank account was a savings account (I had just gotten my [age 16-18] drivers license) so brick and mortar stores were about my only option. Depends were at the time in a word: AWESOME! Fast forward to when I finally got a debit card and an online account through bambino: I got Bambino diapers shipped to my house and when I tried them Depends were instantly history. I didn't care that Bambinos cost nearly 3 times as much for slightly fewer diapers, I swore never to get depends again, ever.

That is why I used to like Depends. At the time there were few options available to me so I made do with what I had. When I finally got more options, my tune most certainly did change. Other people have different experiences and with that, different expectations of what they want in a diaper. There are those who peruse this forum that desire a low-performance diaper for various reasons.

Most everything I have tried from depends hasn't fit quite right. They were either to lose or to tight. They also didn't fit well in the crotch area for me, and they leaked like no other (these were the first ones I bought before discovering other brands).

The backs to me felt like I was sitting on sandpaper as did the padding. I for one have sensitive skin so depends are absolutely not for me. I don't hate them they are just uncomfortable for me.

I'd much prefer a generic brand like CVS brand briefs, I get the adjustable ones with the tapes and they work really well. And they are very comfortable in comparison to the depends brand, at least for me anyway.

Entity said:
There are those who peruse this forum that desire a low-performance diaper for various reasons.

I still buy and wear Depend (now that the plastic-backed returned) because many days I just want to wear the diaper and not actually use it, so Depend is the cheapest diaper for me to buy, and I can buy it in a store, and I find it comfortable to wear. On the days that I actually want to wet the diaper, I will typically wear something else like Tranquility ATN or Abena M4.

LeafiniteLittle said:
I use the adjustable underwear for menorrhagia (heavy bleeding) and they work great. Can still hold one nighttime wetting and it's easy to put on and take off. Sure, they're no premium diaper, but for small things they work fine.
3db2d20454fd93135e64d857915648d1.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#1. Every cloth backed diaper sucks. They can't contain odor and the tapes pull the fabric away from the diaper, so that you must constantly retape.

#2. They are about as absorbent as a 1/4 box of tissues.

#3. The fluff does not go up far enough in the back or front.

mayhem said:
#1. Every cloth backed diaper sucks. They can't contain odor and the tapes pull the fabric away from the diaper, so that you must constantly retape.

#2. They are about as absorbent as a 1/4 box of tissues.

#3. The fluff does not go up far enough in the back or front.

Face it the Diaper manufacturers fail to understand that men do get incontinence and the front absorbent material is woefully inadequate for a males needs.

Entity said:
My, how you have stirred my memories...

When I first got my hands on adult diapers, I was absolutely elated to finally just be ABLE to wear diapers. At that point in time, it didn't matter what the overall performance was, just that I could use it as a diaper without a care in the world. I didn't have any account online at the time and my only bank account was a savings account (I had just gotten my [age 16-18] drivers license) so brick and mortar stores were about my only option. Depends were at the time in a word: AWESOME! Fast forward to when I finally got a debit card and an online account through bambino: I got Bambino diapers shipped to my house and when I tried them Depends were instantly history. I didn't care that Bambinos cost nearly 3 times as much for slightly fewer diapers, I swore never to get depends again, ever.

That is why I used to like Depends. At the time there were few options available to me so I made do with what I had. When I finally got more options, my tune most certainly did change. Other people have different experiences and with that, different expectations of what they want in a diaper. There are those who peruse this forum that desire a low-performance diaper for various reasons.

Except the question was why does anyone like depends (as in currently). Having used to like them 20+ years ago when they made good diapers is one thing, but now they only make crap. Even if someone is limited to brick and mortar stores, medical suppy stores offer much better. So that brings us right back to why would anyone like depends (now).

Slomo said:
Except the question was why does anyone like depends (as in currently). Having used to like them 20+ years ago when they made good diapers is one thing, but now they only make crap. Even if someone is limited to brick and mortar stores, medical suppy stores offer much better. So that brings us right back to why would anyone like depends (now).

The plastic backed Protection with Tabs suit my minimum diaper requirements and they're the least expensive thing I've encountered that does. Given that my requirements are not typical of their customers, I doubt they work well for that many others but I'm not going to cry about something being in my favor. Now if they'd just be more widely available retail, I'd go back to having a cheap, stopgap diaper.

Because they're trash diapers?

I find that they don't hold enough and leak too easily.

I can't remember if i have replied to this thread... it depends (pun not intended) on your needs. When I'm at home and know I will likely be able to make it to the toilet before I fully release, I wear depends night defense or cvs brand night because they can handle a moderate wetting. But if I'll be away for a long period or if I'll be asleep, I need something more absorbant, such as a Dry 24/7 or a Northshore.

Slomo said:

Well, I can tell you I tried to find a brick and mortar medical supply store in my area and could not find anything. So you can't assume that a medical supply store is always an option. Honestly though, I have found that Always Discreet work better than any ladies or unisex Depends I have tried. There is one variety of men's Depends that I tried that held more, but did not fit either me or my friend well and would frequently leak.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back