Thread: This was painful

Default This was painful

This is probably the only place I could post this. I had to go to the ER on Thursday. I had what is called an Abscess boil in my groin area between the "family jewels" and the "out end" (trying to keep this friendly). Anyway, it was where I couldn't bear to sit on it. So I went to go get it checked out. They numbed it up (mostly) but it still hurt when he cut into that thing! Made me squeal like a girl. After the visit, he gave me some prescriptions to help in the healing process. He also told me to take a few days off from work (bummer for the paycheck ).

Let's say for the record that this is something that I would not wish for even my worst enemies to go through. But if you ever get one; prepare for a lot of pain.

A couple years ago, my dad had a Abscess on his lip, it got really bad and it was massive, had to have his lip graphed over.

Good thing you went to the doctor, it can get really bad if you don't, like in my dads case he left it for too long, went massive and black, lost most of his lip.

Yow!! Had a boil once on my back, over the shoulderblade. That's a relatively insensitive spot..... I can't even imagine one in the taint.

Ouch! That sounds like a horrrible, painful experience. Hope you're feeling better.

Hope you feel better MailCat and remember keep the area clean. Last thing you want is an infection to come along.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleHunter View Post
    Hope you feel better MailCat and remember keep the area clean. Last thing you want is an infection to come along.
    There already was one. But he got it washed out and taken care of. He gave me a strong antibiotic that is helping as well.

I think they're usually caused by a virus. Damn viruses!

They are actually bacterial; hence why I am taking antibiotics for my meds. There are several ways (and places) that you can get them; I just happened to get one in a very sensitive and uncomfortable area. My mom had one earlier this year and we didn't know anything about it until we had to rush her to the hospital because of the infection associated with it.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Yow!! Had a boil once on my back, over the shoulderblade. That's a relatively insensitive spot..... I can't even imagine one in the taint.
    It wasn't fun I will say that much! Definitely something that I hope I never go through again!

Quote Originally Posted by MailCat581 View Post
    Let's say for the record that this is something that I would not wish for even my worst enemies to go through.
    oh, come on!
    i wish mine loads of dweebs

oh, btw, welcome to the club, baby!!!!
    (i'm trying to come up with some decent puns: 'spot the newbie', 'power to the pimple', etc)

of course, what it all boils down to...

don't mind me, you'll get worse from those around you, trust me. and worst is the belittling of it.
    i have Hydradenitis Suppurativa (there's pictures online; take a bucket with you) which means i battle such stuff on a daily basis. not that it's always a full-blown monster, but you battle to stop them becoming so. (remember how i was housebound for a month over xmas? i'm still waiting a tooth to fall out, due to a secondary from the big one on my arse; it's settled a bit lately, though)

quick tips for preventing yours developing into HS? hmm
    ditch the dispies in favour of traditional cloth; and i don't mean dispy-imitating cloth diapers, i mean the full trad thing. dispies aren't exactly hygienic in themselves nor in the sticky residue they leave on your skin, but their compact shape causes focussed pressure points which can lead to what-we're-talking-about. a proper trad (what americans call 'prefolds') distrubutes pressure over a greater area, plus you use better creams and ointments than with dispies for preventing sores; and because you do so, you also wash yourself better (the inherent laziness of disposables use, often called 'convenience', encourages futher laziness).
    iodine solutions are good for curing, preventing and limiting sores; Betadine in particular reduces the swelling and inflammation and it's glycerin base isn't overly harsh on the skin. there are alcohol based formulations in spray bottles (usually from farming supplies shops), but they can be quite stinging and, depending on the alcohol used, can cause staining of the skin and also itching (even on areas not directly sprayed; makes you wonder how newborn lambs feel about it).
    i make my own ointment-cum-nappy-cream using emulsifying ointment laced with Dettol, but there's an increasing number of creams and ointments intended for skin conditions. you can buy and try, but they tend to be costly.

if you want anymore tips or the nitty-gritty low-down on the down-low, just ask.