Thread: Diagnosis

Default Diagnosis

I've been officially diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety disorder.

Well "Officially" I did have a psychologist for just depression at one point, but turns out I've got both.

Ironically, I seem to have symptoms of panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, and PTSD from traumatic bullying.

Eh, not really much of a surprise isn't it, who would of guessed.

My hallucinations are strictly caused by my anxiety disorder and small things can trigger my panic attacks, which is why the recent bullshit kinda pushed me off the edge.

Since all that bullshit has died down, I'm somewhat feeling "better" mentally, but I still get panic attacks from time to time.

Obviously this doesn't really come off as a surprise to me or anyone else, as it was suspected anyway.

I'm not actually sure if it's possible to have multiple anxiety disorders but it appears to be that way lol.

Gonna see if my doctor can prescribe me meds eventually, currently I do not feel the need to go to a hospital as I don't feel like I'm a threat to myself atm.

Great to see you doing well again, and glad to hear that you are trying to get better. Just remeber to keep pushing and that nothing can keep you down.

Also if it ever feels too much don't be afraid to seek help professional or personally, if you ever need someone to talk myself and others are willing to talk with whatever you need to talk about.

Take care and keep pushing.

It's great you finally got HElp
    P but you still need to figure out a way to get out of your abusive situation

Thanks for the update! I'm so glad you've "taken the bull by the horns" and are getting the help that you very much deserve.

It's definitely possible to have multiple anxiety disorders. They're all related and overlap quite a lot, along with the various forms of depression. The boundaries of any psychological condition are quite blurred, and everyone is different. "Depression" and "anxiety" may be just two words, but there are infinite ways in which they can manifest themselves.

Concepts such as "generalised anxiety disorder" and "social anxiety disorder" and PTSD don't exist as distinct, easily-definable behaviours or thought patterns.

I suppose it's a bit like autism, in that it affects every individual differently. And, while it's useful to have the word "autism" to describe a vague set of overlapping behaviours (etc.), that word can't just be considered in terms of the severity of the condition. Two people with equally "severe" autism can be affected by it in very different ways.

It's the same with depression/anxiety, I think. Labels and diagnoses can be useful, but only if it means that you focus your attention on your personal situation. They're not set in stone, and they don't define you. You can overcome them and shed the burden that you've been carrying. That's the aim of therapy.

I found counselling really helpful because it gave me the opportunity to look at things from lots of different angles. It helped me to see the "bigger picture" and to find the "light at the end of the tunnel".

I still have a few minor "issues" (some slight addiction issues), but I've improved so much, and have a feeling of stability, and... I feel almost human again.

Keep at it!

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    Thanks for the update! I'm so glad you've "taken the bull by the horns" and are getting the help that you very much deserve.

It's definitely possible to have multiple anxiety disorders. They're all related and overlap quite a lot, along with the various forms of depression. The boundaries of any psychological condition are quite blurred, and everyone is different. "Depression" and "anxiety" may be just two words, but there are infinite ways in which they can manifest themselves.

Concepts such as "generalised anxiety disorder" and "social anxiety disorder" and PTSD don't exist as distinct, easily-definable behaviours or thought patterns.

I suppose it's a bit like autism, in that it affects every individual differently. And, while it's useful to have the word "autism" to describe a vague set of overlapping behaviours (etc.), that word can't just be considered in terms of the severity of the condition. Two people with equally "severe" autism can be affected by it in very different ways.

It's the same with depression/anxiety, I think. Labels and diagnoses can be useful, but only if it means that you focus your attention on your personal situation. They're not set in stone, and they don't define you. You can overcome them and shed the burden that you've been carrying. That's the aim of therapy.

I found counselling really helpful because it gave me the opportunity to look at things from lots of different angles. It helped me to see the "bigger picture" and to find the "light at the end of the tunnel".

I still have a few minor "issues" (some slight addiction issues), but I've improved so much, and have a feeling of stability, and... I feel almost human again.

Keep at it!
    Thanks :P My anxiety disorder kind of made me over react when it came to the police questioning, legally I'm fine, they haven't came back with a warrant and my door hasn't been kicked down yet :P

If they thought it was me, I would of been arrested, and than questioned.

So, I'm fine, thankfully, my anxiety disorder made me over react in that aspect, :P I'm surprised something as simple as that caused me to go over the edge.

I'm glad you saw the doctor. It will be interesting to see what they recommend. I had a psychiatrist when I was young. Panic attacks came in mid life. Now I just deal with the occasional bouts of depression. Life is never perfect but if we can find something to make us happy, life can go on without to many problems. Hang in there my friend.

It's a big step in the right direction to actually "know" what the problem is. It helps you fight it and survive when it crops up again.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleJess View Post
    I've been officially diagnosed with depression and generalized anxiety disorder.

Well "Officially" I did have a psychologist for just depression at one point, but turns out I've got both.

Ironically, I seem to have symptoms of panic disorder, social anxiety disorder, and PTSD from traumatic bullying.

Eh, not really much of a surprise isn't it, who would of guessed.

My hallucinations are strictly caused by my anxiety disorder and small things can trigger my panic attacks, which is why the recent bullshit kinda pushed me off the edge.

Since all that bullshit has died down, I'm somewhat feeling "better" mentally, but I still get panic attacks from time to time.

Obviously this doesn't really come off as a surprise to me or anyone else, as it was suspected anyway.

I'm not actually sure if it's possible to have multiple anxiety disorders but it appears to be that way lol.

Gonna see if my doctor can prescribe me meds eventually, currently I do not feel the need to go to a hospital as I don't feel like I'm a threat to myself atm.
    I'm glad to hear that you have taken some steps to get some help, LittleJess. It can be very hard to reach out for professional help.

I'm a little unclear about what sort of follow-up has been r ecommended to reduce the risk of more anxiety attacks and episodes of depression. While psychologists cannot traditionally prescribe medication, I would hope there would be some close communication between your pschologist and your doctor to ensure they are working collaboratively on a holistic plan for your health.

I'm glad your psychologist gave a diagnosis about what's been causing some of your problems, but I hope there will be regular appointments and counselling, and medication as required. It's quite concerning to me that you plan to see your doctor to get some meds 'eventuaĺly.' My suggestion is that you see your doctor as soon as possible and provide authorization for your doctor and psychologist to share information so that you are properly treated in a timely manner.

I do see this as an opportunity to get help and support with the spectrum of problems in your life including abuse, bullying, housing and PTSD. Make sure your needs are being heard.