Thread: LGBT Acceptance in Canada- We're getting there

Default LGBT Acceptance in Canada- We're getting there

Canadians who were convicted of crimes due to their sexuality will be able to their records expunged under new legislation expected later this year. The announcement was made by Trudeau at an event raising the Pride flag on Parliament Hill, along with Trans Rights flag.

https://www.thestar.com/news/canada/...community.html

The proposed legislation allows for the expungement of criminal convictions of Canadians unjustly convicted of a crime simply for being gay.

Back in the 1960s, 1970s, amd 1980's LGBT people were frequently convicted of 'buggery' or 'gross indecency.' These laws from the dark ages have been pulled from the books, yet the criminal records have remained in place, limiting their employment and travel options.

In addition, the government will offer an apology to public servants and members of the military who were forced out of their jobs because of their sexual orientation.

I remember back in the mid 1980s when I was at work and the receptionist informed me that there were two men from National Defense asking to talk to me. I had no idea why they were there and I confess to being a bit scared. They were conducting a security check on my neighbour who was a captain in the forces. Apparently, they do these every five years or so for people in sensitive area. They kept coming back to the question of 'Have you ever seen him with women?' This question was asked of me at least three times. I never suspected my neighbour of being gay and truthfully responded that he kept to himself, so I've never really seen him with men or women. I don't think they were satisfied with that response. My superintendent was also interviewed by them and when they asked her the same question several times, she responded she hadn't and wondered aloud to the investigators if he was gay. A month later, my neighbour retired from the forces and moved east.

There is still much work to be done. I think of the high rates of depression and suicide risk, particularly with our LGBT youth.In addition, legislation plays a crucial role in addressing our rights, but we can't legislate away the homophobia and transphobia that exists in our society. Still, Pride flags flying over Parliament and acknowledging past wrongs demonstrates the work we have accomplished and the progressive values of a country that continues to move forward.

July 1, 2017 is Canada Day and marks our 150th birthday, and this year I am particularly proud to be a Canadian
    Last edited by Starrunner; 15-Jun-2017 at 18:27.

We had this in the UK recently. People can apply to have any records corrected. I think with a state apology as well. Speaking of 150 years of Canada, congrats! But in London the celebration of Pride has been pushed back a week to accommodate Canada Day. Just a funny coincidence really but many in the LGBT community are bemoaning the Canadians for making them have to change their plans.