Testing Fecal Containment

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClickyKeys

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
So I had an incident the other day where I had a major fecal accident, and at the time I was trying out Northshore Supremes which unfortunately failed to do pretty much anything at containing the mess.

Anyone have any ways or ideas of testing for a diaper's capability to contain liquidy mess without having to wait until you actually NEED the diaper to and it possibly doesn't?

Northshore failed? Man that must have been a really big and loose mess. They are fairly comparable to confidry, and I've only had messy leaks a couple times in a couple of years with confidry.

I can confirm that betterdry/crinklz is going to be better at containing a big loose mess though. You may want to give them a try.

As for pre-testing them, no "lab test" is going to be the same as a "real world test". You can try runny oatmeal as a substitute, but even just pouring it down the back of your diaper isn't going to be the same as an explosive bowell release.

No, it was actually a fairly small one for me. But the Northshore seem to cut a bit higher on the butt cheeks than other diapers and that seems to compromise their fecal containment (and is uncomfortable as well). Whereas other brands (except some that also cut like the Northshore does) ride the bottom of the buttcheek. Here's an illustration of what I'm referring to, red being how the Northshores cut. http://imgur.com/O49qx8C.jpg

I've had accidents twice the size of that one in Abena L4s, Rearz Inspire+InControls , ConfiDrys, Wellness Superio, and ABU Simples and most that would leak out would be just a tiny little bit. But almost half the mess came out of the Northshores.

I was trying the NS because ABU Simple larges were out of stock, and there were some issues with Rearz latest batch from their manufacturer for Inspire+InControl.

If it wasn't for the abysmal tapes I'd go with ConfiDry as they cut down below the buttcheek, but in the various cases I've tried over the years I have to waste so many of them because the tapes either fail to stick immediately or at most within an hour. So those are just not cost effective when I can only wear them for at most an hour before I have to change them because they won't even stay on anymore.

And if it wasn't for the Wellness Superio's lack of absorption I'd wear those, but they can barely handle a single wetting. Plus Wellness' large is barely bigger than most brand medium so they're also a bit uncomfortably tight.

And Yeah I know that a test won't be 100% representative, I'm just looking for something to show a rough idea of performance.

Thanks for the explanation. Sounds like an ok ther case where not all diapers will fit veryones body shape. I can say confidry has fixed their tapes issue. They haven't popped off on me in 8-12 months now.

Northshore don't widen out very rapidly as you leave the crotch area, and so I don't think are nearly as well-suited for that. Compared to say, a ABU space or a Confidry 24/7. The NS leak guards aren't spaced as far apart (or stand as tall when you get away from the crotch) either. In japan they don't call them "leak guards". They're generally referred to more bluntly as "poop-catchers". ;)

Not pleasant ways being the easiest way you will get a real result of how it will handle you is to have it happen, there are ways to encourage going but thats about all I have to offer.

Hmm. I've been wearing Northshore Supremes every day for almost 3 years and find them extremely good at containing pee and poop. I have to agree that ABU Space diapers have a higher leak guard. My ass is small and I'm not very big so I don't find them larger than Supremes on the backend. It really all depends on your body shape. Most medium diapers fit me like a glove unless they are cut large (e.g. Confidry 24/7). Also depends on your bm. I've has some large bms run out and up just because they are so damn big.

Testing bms is best done with foods. Smoothies might approximate a runny bm, but for testing you'll have to put it in the backend of the diaper and then put it on. Someone mentioned oatmeal and that will also work. The reality is runny bms will probably always overflow the protection no matter what. Just be glad your not wearing cotton underwear or, God forbid, Depends pull-ons.

As others have mentioned, no one product will fit and perform the same for everyone. We all have different body types and contours, and various diaper brands also have differing shapes and fittings.
Sadly, the only real way to 'Know' if a diaper product will do the job you're expecting of it, is to test said product in a safe environment (your home), PRIOR to going out in public and risking an embarrassing incident. Even then, nothing is utterly failure-proof, and going a tad overboard in protection/containment is preferable to the alternative.

bambinod said:
Northshore don't widen out very rapidly as you leave the crotch area, and so I don't think are nearly as well-suited for that. Compared to say, a ABU space or a Confidry 24/7. The NS leak guards aren't spaced as far apart (or stand as tall when you get away from the crotch) either. In japan they don't call them "leak guards". They're generally referred to more bluntly as "poop-catchers". ;)

Yeah that pretty much what my issue was. Crotch wasn't wide enough to contain enough and they topped the poop catchers.

rennecfox said:
Not pleasant ways being the easiest way you will get a real result of how it will handle you is to have it happen, there are ways to encourage going but thats about all I have to offer.

Yeah, there are laxatives, although that still isn't the best test for me, since my accidents will be almost liquid, and with laxatives unless I do the "cleanse dose" of bisacodyl will still be more solid, and I don't like doing the cleanse dose because it is painful for like 24 hours.

ClickyKeys said:
Yeah that pretty much what my issue was. Crotch wasn't wide enough to contain enough and they topped the poop catchers.

Yeah, there are laxatives, although that still isn't the best test for me, since my accidents will be almost liquid, and with laxatives unless I do the "cleanse dose" of bisacodyl will still be more solid, and I don't like doing the cleanse dose because it is painful for like 24 hours.

The problem is in this situation simulating the effects of a spontaneous blowout is impossible, a spill out would be possible possibly with some runny pudding or oatmeal, but as far as knowing how it will handle "upward cannon fire" is not so easy to predict.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back