working, diapers, and changing

Status
Not open for further replies.

scbaby

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
How does one deal with this? For me my department has 1 bathroom and it's usually occupied. It's only Urine incontinence not fecal. So I don't have to worry about that. However, getting into the bathroom is a challenge.

Do I tell me HR person and my supervisor about my situation? Or do I just try to wait for an available bathroom?

Cleansing?
What do you have with you?

How do you deal with changing at work?

I'm new to this. My incontinence hasn't been this bad before. The spasms were controlled and leakage was minimal. Things have progressed, and now it's come down to diapers, heavy flow pads, and briefs.

Any recommendations for stuff in a go bag would be great.

Thank you for all of your help!!!

My advice would be just be yourself and go and approach your boss or supervisor and tell them you have to wear adult diapers due to a health problem/medical issue but all the time re-assuring them it wont effect your work and ask if there is a alternative toilet/restroom that you can use to change yourself don't do it in front of your co-workers as this will be guaranteed to get you fired, I had a similar problem for the last 3 years when I worked at a busy restaurant kitchen in the UK fortunately I had a understanding boss who knew that I had disabilities because I basically told him the truth of the matter in private.

I became incontinent when I turned 30 in 2010 through no-fault of my own without any pre-warning and it really sucks at times but I have to do what I can to live my life to the fullest as specially as I was made redundant again through no fault of my own nearly 2 years ago following a major natural disaster/flooding in storm Desmond in December of 2015, my advice is also get some support from a person who can help if ne is available either on-line or at your work-place as the feeling of isolation can cause depression and lead to more serous ill-health if you are not supported by a friend.

hope this answered some of your concerns

Yours sincerely
Chinababy888

Yes it does. Thank you.

If incontinence/diapers does not affect your ability to do your work, then technically/legally you do not need to tell your boss. And according to the ADA you CANNOT be fired for a medical condition that does not affect your job. And the great thing about diapers, is that you don't have to change right away.

For me, I've been at the same job for 14 years. My boss still does not know I'm diapered, nor is there any reason I need to tell him. I supoose if I was still embarrased/afraid of being found out by coworkers, then telling my boss would have put that stess out of my mind. I never felt I needed to do that though.

We also have only one small mens restroom, with a toilet stall and urinal. When I need to change, I go get a diaper from my car and carry it in hand to the restroom. If the stall is occupied I just take my diaper to my desk drawer instead, and wait a while before trying again. I do admit that if someone is using the urinal, then I will wait till they are gone before taping up. I don't feel this is going out of my way to be discreet since I'm already there, and waiting for them to leave isn't exactly cutting into my day (if I was going #2 it would take longer anyways). But I do it this way because I'd rather not flaunt my diapers either.

I have had my coworkers look right at my diaper in hand though, and have no clue what they saw. I know this because I once told a good coworker friend I'm incontinent, and he had no idea even though having seen it. He also confirmed there were no rumors about me being diapered either.

So short version, don't worry about it. Just change when can, but stay discreet if you can too.

Chinababy888 said:
My advice would be just be yourself and go and approach your boss or supervisor and tell them you have to wear adult diapers due to a health problem/medical issue {...} don't do it in front of your co-workers as this will be guaranteed to get you fired

Very much no. Incontinence is a disability protected by the American with Disabilities Act. It would be highly illegal for their boss to fire them for having a medical disability, regardless of whether they told them in front of coworkers or not. They probably won't want to do it in front of coworkers for reasons of personal privacy. But it is very much not a "don't do that or you'll get fired situation" because that would actually be illegal.

And the great thing about diapers, is that you don't have to change right away.

Well unless you're springing a leak or a tape pops that would cause a leak on the next accident. In past jobs where I've told HR so I've done so to mention that I may need to use bathrooms suddenly and with no notice due to medical equipment failure. The accomodations I would request at my previous call center jobs were extra break times for the event of unexpected bathroom needs.

In a previous job with only one stall I had to also say the breaks may end up going long if I have to wait for the stall to become free.

ClickyKeys said:
Very much no. Incontinence is a disability protected by the American with Disabilities Act. It would be highly illegal for their boss to fire them for having a medical disability, regardless of whether they told them in front of coworkers or not. They probably won't want to do it in front of coworkers for reasons of personal privacy. But it is very much not a "don't do that or you'll get fired situation" because that would actually be illegal.

Well unless you're springing a leak or a tape pops that would cause a leak on the next accident. In past jobs where I've told HR so I've done so to mention that I may need to use bathrooms suddenly and with no notice due to medical equipment failure. The accomodations I would request at my previous call center jobs were extra break times for the event of unexpected bathroom needs.

In a previous job with only one stall I had to also say the breaks may end up going long if I have to wait for the stall to become free.

Good point, very true. Pro tip, always have a safety pin or two close on hand. Pins work just as good as tape for an emergency tape repair. They are also easier to carry around too.

And while unexpected leaks happen to us all, most anyone who wears enough should know at about what capacity their diaper is going to start leaking at. Never wait till it's already at that point, that way if you can't change at a good time for you (or your diaper), you will still at least have time before it does happen.

Slomo said:
Good point, very true. Pro tip, always have a safety pin or two close on hand. Pins work just as good as tape for an emergency tape repair. They are also easier to carry around too.

And while unexpected leaks happen to us all, most anyone who wears enough should know at about what capacity their diaper is going to start leaking at. Never wait till it's already at that point, that way if you can't change at a good time for you (or your diaper), you will still at least have time before it does happen.

Yeah, only time I've had overcapacity leaks was when I was new to the whole being incontinent things and wasn't used to knowing when the diaper would start leaking, which could apply to OP since they said this is recent for them. Only other times I've had unexpected leaks was if there was an unknown tear in the backsheet or such that was allowing liquid to pass through. Although had a weird issue once where the diaper was nowhere near capacity and leaked out the leg guards for some reason I never figured out.

I'm lucky that we have employee bathrooms, unisex, lock from the inside, one toilet. I can quickly get to it from my desk, drop my pants and change. I'm rather bad changing standing up so I sort of hybrid it, but i get it done. Obviously make sure you have a bag for the soiled diaper. Bad it up get it in the garbage and you should be ok. Or if you can't, put the bagged diaper in your work bag and get rid of it later.

Hotdog,

Are you carrying some kind of bag to and from the restroom? If so, what do you use?

Is there any risk of someone seeing the discarded diaper in the trash and commenting about it?

Re diapering while standing up, it absolutely is worthwhile to practice it to get it down pat.:smile:

--John

jdinvirginia said:
Hotdog,

Are you carrying some kind of bag to and from the restroom? If so, what do you use?

Is there any risk of someone seeing the discarded diaper in the trash and commenting about it?

Re diapering while standing up, it absolutely is worthwhile to practice it to get it down pat.:smile:

--John

John, I'm quite literally like 10 feet away from the bathroom, so I don't need to hide too much but I tend to have everything in my backpack. It's a black nike backpack, very athletic. I tend to try and time my changes for when I have to do something else so it looks normal. But anything can happpen when it comes to diapers.

I think there's always a risk but I'm bagging it and tying it and tossing it in the garbage. Mostly those blue newspaper bags. I guess someone could say something but they haven't yet. I guess I'll look out for that.

I'm not very good at it. At work I try and do a hybrid between sitting and standing. Hard to explain really.

Last edited:
My department has a bathroom that we all use, we have 3 ladies and 17 guys. Getting to the bathroom before it's occupied is really hard some days. Now. Some if the people will literally take 15+ minutes in the bathroom, not only is it unfair to everyone else but to the one guy that needs the facility over the rest. I know that sounds really conceded but being IC I have to toilet frequently or be prepared for a diaper change. My welding station is 30' from the bathroom.

My supplies are in my backpack that looks like a normal backpack you'd find on a school child (it's a camo Jansport) and it houses my stuff well, no one questions it. The only time I had an oh crap moment recently with the backpack was it looks similar to a coworkers and he almost opened it, luckily enough he got distracted by someone and went to the correct backpack which was his. So now my backpack lives on my chair.

I work sitting down as does everyone in my department.

But come Monday I'm sitting HR down and going to talk to her at length about what is going on and see if we can allow me more time in the bathroom just in case, and to inform my supervisor of my medical needs. However I need (per company rules) a very recent document showing what's going on, the last document was from a few years ago and that's probably not going to fly, but it's worth a shot.

scbaby said:
My department has a bathroom that we all use, we have 3 ladies and 17 guys. Getting to the bathroom before it's occupied is really hard some days. Now. Some if the people will literally take 15+ minutes in the bathroom, not only is it unfair to everyone else but to the one guy that needs the facility over the rest. I know that sounds really conceded but being IC I have to toilet frequently or be prepared for a diaper change. My welding station is 30' from the bathroom.

My supplies are in my backpack that looks like a normal backpack you'd find on a school child (it's a camo Jansport) and it houses my stuff well, no one questions it. The only time I had an oh crap moment recently with the backpack was it looks similar to a coworkers and he almost opened it, luckily enough he got distracted by someone and went to the correct backpack which was his. So now my backpack lives on my chair.

I work sitting down as does everyone in my department.

But come Monday I'm sitting HR down and going to talk to her at length about what is going on and see if we can allow me more time in the bathroom just in case, and to inform my supervisor of my medical needs. However I need (per company rules) a very recent document showing what's going on, the last document was from a few years ago and that's probably not going to fly, but it's worth a shot.

Now this I don't understand. If you're using a diaper, then why do you need to go to the toilet so often? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're urinary incontinent only, right? As long as you're using a half decent diaper, then there's really no reason you'd need to change more than once every 4+ hours. Heck, even with me staying well hydrated, my confidry diapers will last me 8+ hours before I need to change. Often enough, I end up not even needing to change while I'm at work.

Chinababy888 said:
My advice would be just be yourself and go and approach your boss or supervisor and tell them you have to wear adult diapers due to a health problem/medical issue but all the time re-assuring them it wont effect your work and ask if there is a alternative toilet/restroom that you can use to change yourself don't do it in front of your co-workers as this will be guaranteed to get you fired, I had a similar problem for the last 3 years when I worked at a busy restaurant kitchen in the UK fortunately I had a understanding boss who knew that I had disabilities because I basically told him the truth of the matter in private.

I became incontinent when I turned 30 in 2010 through no-fault of my own without any pre-warning and it really sucks at times but I have to do what I can to live my life to the fullest as specially as I was made redundant again through no fault of my own nearly 2 years ago following a major natural disaster/flooding in storm Desmond in December of 2015, my advice is also get some support from a person who can help if ne is available either on-line or at your work-place as the feeling of isolation can cause depression and lead to more serous ill-health if you are not supported by a friend.

hope this answered some of your concerns

Yours sincerely
Chinababy888

lol that's the worst advise I've ever heard. Seriously? Go tell your boss you wear diapers? HAHAHA.

OP needs to do one of two things: A) wait til the bathroom is not occupied or B) go find another place to change. It's that simple. Your employer does not need to know.

I work in a large corporate office tower in a large city. We have a sub shop in our lobby so I just go down there and use their bathroom to change. We have 2 restrooms on my floor but they're very busy and I don't need my colleagues hearing me changing. I'll do it in an emergency though. I also sometimes walk up the road to use the bathroom in one of the fast food joints.

- - - Updated - - -

Slomo said:
Now this I don't understand. If you're using a diaper, then why do you need to go to the toilet so often? Correct me if I'm wrong, but you're urinary incontinent only, right? As long as you're using a half decent diaper, then there's really no reason you'd need to change more than once every 4+ hours. Heck, even with me staying well hydrated, my confidry diapers will last me 8+ hours before I need to change. Often enough, I end up not even needing to change while I'm at work.

Agree. I wear Northsore Supreme Lites during the day which are much thinner than Dry24/7 and I only need to change 1-2x a day at work. Usually if I change around noon to 1pm I really don't have to again. An extra coffee changes things a bit though.

At night I wear Better Dry and am pretty certain I could easily get through an entire work day with one of those if I was so inclined to wear that bulky of a diaper to work.

Yup I can usually go throughout a day without a change. If I do not a problem tena maxi slip or northshore care with plastic pants

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back