rough day

Status
Not open for further replies.

scbaby

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
  2. Incontinent
To day has been super rough. Im at work and ive been having leakage like no other, i also have one underware pad left. These seem to work but my leaks have been heavier today then they have been.

I almost wore my briefs, but decided to forego it.

In case you are not on or read the other threads, here is a little background.
im in my mid 30s and have a nerve issue that makes the bladder muscles tense and squeez. I have been to a urologist and they can fix the issue bit the risks are increased or complete incontinence.

So daytime i usually use pads or depends style briefs, at night i usually use a diaper just because nights have been a huge issue as of lately.

It sounds as if you might need better protection during the day as well. Have you considered at least trying a pullup of some kind?

I havent. Is there one you recomend?

- - - Updated - - -

Finally at home and at ease. I have my briefs on so I feel more comfortable and confident.

When the "fix" is invasive it should remain the absolute last option , unfortunately there are many physicians who disregard this and will do surgery just to do it , because it pays the bills ,surgical odds are often not in the patients favor ,most patients do not look into the odds numbers until there surgery fails to give them a better quality life and once they anylyze the numbers , they wonder why they didn't do this first before signing the paperwork absolving everyone of responsibility, as a chronic pain patient my specialty has become debunking surgical success odds, because to be here where I am today I have had to fight off a whole mess of these guys who was "sure" they could fix me , just as they were sure on all my friends who signed on the line and got worse from it , let this be a warning for anybody with pain, back problems, colon problems or urological issues ,all that glitters is not gold . If you can manage your health issues without surgery it's much better , don't be afraid of or ashamed of diapers,pull ups pads catheters because more often than not embracing your condition and making peace with it , is better than the cure that doesn't cure making you responsible for something worse that you have to learn to accept , alright I am done if you wanted a sermon you would have went to church , find a product that is affordable, acceptable and comfortable for your worst days and never wonder on your best days ,some people don't realize that IC of any sort is not anything more than a medical condition like needing glasses or a hearing aid or like me a wheelchair , don't be embarrassed or put discretion ahead of protection because lack of proper protection will "out" you much faster than anything else, if that happens it's a lesson learned and move on ,but don't put the brakes on your life of lifestyle ,embrace it and do what everybody else does live on the razors edge ,well learning and growing , then slow down and freak out when you have kids and they want to try skateboarding without a helmet or pads, that's what being young is about, fighting your fear and doing it anyway because when we are young we heal faster . You can read reviews of diapers and such but to really understand them you need to wear them at least a day in the life to test them out to find out if it's the protection your looking for . This might be controversial but don't be consumed with hiding it , it took me many years to stop denying and stop hiding both from others and myself , tell those close to you, or real good friends you might sleep on their couch they need to know ,everybody else is optional and need to know, if somebody asked me today if I wore diapers I would say yes does it matter ? In my younger days i would have shrunk to feeling inches tall, and been embarrassed and flustered, skip all that it's not worth doing to yourself , get yourself comfortable with a life of leaks minor of major that's just a part of being IC , the shame embarrassment and torture of thinking less of yourself because of bladder or bowel problems is completely optional , I recommend you never get started with it .Find your product of products that give you what you want and need , and them make s diaper bag to hold extras discreetly, being prepared to handle an emergency diaper failure with grace and calmness is your friend , ask us any and all questions you have there are potent people in the community with loads of experience willing to share, nothing is embarrassing to other people who have the condition or similar and do it day by day . And always stock your diaper bag for the worst day you can imagine, as I have said the day they stopped selling halfway decent protection at any store , I started bringing a better store in my diaper bag .

Peace

Sent from my SM-T810 using Tapatalk

As to what pullups to try...

Any of us will tell you that all pullups are going to be less effective than briefs, but you are apparently in a sort of in-between stage where you may well be able to make it to the bathroom some or much of the time, and pullups will be much easier to use as long as that is the case. You can try any brand, really, if you are going to change after a single wetting. Depends should work reasonably well under that circumstance; that is what it is designed for. If you'd like to try more effective diapers, many online stores will send you samples of their products, sometimes for free. Some online shops are listed in our Ordering Online article, but there are many others as well. Good luck!

Being IC is a new challenge for me. But I'm sure I will come out on top. Being at work away from my supplies was a terrifying experience today. Tomorrow will be different, I have a go bag ready with 2 extra briefs wipes, a clean pair of shorts and some rash cream.

Being diapered isn't that big of a deal to me. It's dealing with the leaks. Today was rough, but I managed. Tomorrow will be a different story.

My HR person is out of town with her husband who owns the company I work for, they are good friends of mine so I'm sure talking to them will be easy.

Since I'm breaking news ground, being IC what is the best way to deal or rather what is a good product for overnight?

I will be flying in October. What is recommended for flight or traveling?
Preference of product?
I realize this depends on how your IC is whether is little leaks or major flow. To complete IC.
What do you all like to travel in? A diaper? Pad? Brief?
Air travel is a pain to get to the restroom especially if you are like me and like to sit next to the window.
My plan is to be diapered because the flight is 8 hours, and I'm by the window. So that's my plan there.

Now. I bought some diapers that are specifically designed for overnight use.

Today was a learning experience, TAKE SUPPLIES just like you'd pack for a baby bring extra stuff just in case.

My go to travel brief is the Northshore supreme , sitting up you should be pointing up , these have the front end to stand up to that kind of punishment , I used to use the Abena M4 but found these have a better front , I am in a wheelchair so the front has to be able to stand and take it,even though the most absorbant part is the rear , the wicking is slow to the rear sitting on it and compressing it .

Last edited:
I'll check out the northshore briefs. I have some that seem to work, but absorbency seems to be an issue.

Pads always leak, pullups leak a lot, and cloth like disposables leak at times. The whole point of them is to not leak, so forget them all. You will need a tape style diaper. Not a thin or cheap one either- or again, leaks.

For mild incontinence, I recommend Tranquality ATN, or Tena slip. Moderate incontinence will need Abena or xpmedical aplus. Severe incontinence will need confidry (my favorite) or northshore supreme.

Also go up in capacity for overnight. If you need better than confidry or northshore, then go with betterdry or crinklz.

Slomo said:
Pads always leak, pullups leak a lot, and cloth like disposables leak at times. The whole point of them is to not leak, so forget them all. You will need a tape style diaper. Not a thin or cheap one either- or again, leaks.

For mild incontinence, I recommend Tranquality ATN, or Tena slip. Moderate incontinence will need Abena or xpmedical aplus. Severe incontinence will need confidry (my favorite) or northshore supreme.

Also go up in capacity for overnight. If you need better than confidry or northshore, then go with betterdry or crinklz.

My suggestion of pullups was predicated upon the fact that OP stated he was currently using pads during the day and felt the need for something better. Sure, the best thing would be briefs--no question--but the very fact that he is using pads suggests a total reluctance to go in that direction so completely. Thus: pullups. I've worn them, and frankly even Depends or Always don't likely leak from a single wetting. Better kinds are best, of course. But if OP is spasming, as he says, he is not likely to flood, so that means much less likelihood to have situations where even cheaper pullups fail.

I use several different pullups at times, and really haven't had severe leak problems with any of them once I found out their capacity. Here are the ones I use, and they are in not in any particular order.

L/ XL Girls Good Nights Tru-fit, with the tru fit insert. The inserts swell a lot and I have used them occasionally with other pullups or diapers. For me this standard configuration is good for about three normal wettings. These fit tight and are more like a bikini pantie on me. The Tru-Fit inserts have been hard to find recently but are starting to show up in the stores again.

L/XL Girls Goodnights. These are OK, especially when a Northshore S Booster pad is used. I get 2-3 normal wettings with this combination, and the fit is more like a hip hugger pantie. There is more stretch with the Goodnight than with the Tru-Fit. The Tru-Fit inserts do not work for me in the Good Nights.

S/M Always Discreet with a small Northshore booster pad. This size is the new improved product. I used the L/XL previous to the newer product. The sizes were and are based on my waist size. I have successfully used a Tru-Fit insert in both sizes of Discreet. With either insert I get 3-4 good wettings. This is my favorite if I am going to be away from home several hours, although I have used the other two with no problems yet, but the Always is usually my go-to combination.

I use a Gary PUL cover from Northshore with all three types.

This is my experience with different types of pullups and describes what works for me, and why.
As others have said, correctly, you should try several brands, sizes and booster pad combinations and then use what works best for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
kerry said:
My suggestion of pullups was predicated upon the fact that OP stated he was currently using pads during the day and felt the need for something better. Sure, the best thing would be briefs--no question--but the very fact that he is using pads suggests a total reluctance to go in that direction so completely. Thus: pullups. I've worn them, and frankly even Depends or Always don't likely leak from a single wetting. Better kinds are best, of course. But if OP is spasming, as he says, he is not likely to flood, so that means much less likelihood to have situations where even cheaper pullups fail.

So briefs have been (as of today) working well. I tend to have spasms, small to medium bladder leaks, and then occasional and dreaded flood. I'm considering pull-ups for ease of use when I can make it to the restroom in case of a flooding incident. But I also have some diapers on the way too, both for day and night use.
The daytime ones are much thinner than the nighttime diapers.

Now for work,
Would any of you recommend using plastic pants? Or is it preferentia.

Thus far I have come to terms with my IC I don't know how I feel about it yet. Though growing up I had (and probably still do) have a small bladder. So I have had to fight that battle head on.

scbaby said:
So briefs have been (as of today) working well. I tend to have spasms, small to medium bladder leaks, and then occasional and dreaded flood. I'm considering pull-ups for ease of use when I can make it to the restroom in case of a flooding incident. But I also have some diapers on the way too, both for day and night use.
The daytime ones are much thinner than the nighttime diapers.

Now for work,
Would any of you recommend using plastic pants? Or is it preferentia.

Thus far I have come to terms with my IC I don't know how I feel about it yet. Though growing up I had (and probably still do) have a small bladder. So I have had to fight that battle head on.

I would recommend them. While ideally they shouldn't be necessary, not even the best disposable diapers out there are 100% leak proof. Sooner or later you will leak. The diaper cover (plastic, rubber, pul, whichever) will help contain that leak and also helps you to notice/feel it before it becomes outwardly noticable.

My preference is the Gary activewear PUL pants. They are very durable and stand up to machine washing quite well (but like all diaper covers should not be machine dried). They have a quiet nylon cloth exterior, with a laminated interior pvc that stays flexible and waterproof for years. They also have softer elastic bands that don't cut into your skin.

I'm with Slomo , I have A lot of plastic and rubber pants because when i bought my cloth diapers PUL hadn't been invented yet, but for a lightweight awesome protection the Gary active wear are the best , they hardly weigh anything and are so comfortable , I bought a bunch of them to use during the day, i switch hit cloth at home disposables well out and they work great .

Okay good to know. I'll add some plastic or rubber pants to my order que. Thank you all

Think about a true diaper. Ignore any other things you may associate with it. You won't leak, you'll have protection and you'll be happier.

scbaby said:
Okay good to know. I'll add some plastic or rubber pants to my order que. Thank you all
North shore sells Gary active wear PUL pants and is having a sale of 5% off on orders $35 or more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back