night time

Status
Not open for further replies.
mikesecret said:
MassIncon: Do they know why the other treatments don't work for you? Did they tell you? Ive found when I raise IC issues with my health care providers they just shrug as though its just a small concern that doesn't warrant a specific response. They take more of a 'big picture' view I guess and figure that if they can deal with the main health issues causing the problem the rest will take care of itself. For me the meds themselves are a big issue especially anti-psychotic and other psychotropic meds. Also, due to medications I now have kidney problems that may be contributing to the situation.

meds just either weren't effective enough to be worth it (i.e. I still needed diapers anyway) or they had severe and horrible side effects.

I could look into sacral nerve stimulation with Interstim, but the doctor told me the results might not be worth it. Given also that I have a terrible high deductible health plan, it would cost me thousands out of pocket. Based on what I've read about it, that wouldn't be money well spent. The way the company that makes it defines "success" is radically different from what I'd consider success.

The only med I'm on now is just a low dose blood pressure medicine and I prefer it that way.

My incon is just considered OAB with urge incontinence by my docs. OAB is just a BS label for "your bladder spasms and we don't know why, here try these pills".

From my research which included reading a lot of medical journals, the anticholinergic pills actually DO work for a lot of OAB people. They either tolerate the side effects better or report that they're "happy" with whatever level of symptom reduction they achieve. Somone who went from full brief diapers to light pullups or guards may be fine with those results. Or someone who went from wetting themselves 5 times a day to once a day might consider that success.. I don't, for me personally, especially if I have undesirable side effects. I'd rather have no side effects and just wear the diapers.

Night protection is equally as important as daytime. I want to prevent a leak on my clothes during the day and I hate waking in a wet bed. During the day, I usually can by with a Comfi-dry 24/7 with a booster or two. I also use pull on plastic pants. A generous application of Desitin ointment and a daily dose of Nullo. It's mostly severe bowel urgency for me and to keep BM's solid I take 3 to 5 doses of Metamucil a day and the occasional Imodium (during more social interaction, when flying or when I plan on being out longer and expect my normal 2 to 3 BM's - this helps constipate me and helps prevent an accidental BM though when things do finally break free I'll have a couple of really large volume releases. Comes with the territory). The Metamucil does wonders for keeping BM's solid (had very loose stool in the beginning after my surgery) though it doesn't do anything for the urgency, and causes increased volume and frequency. This works just fine for the daytime. At bedtime I use the Comfi-dry 24/7 with a booster. I run a pinwheel over the plastic shell and then use a pull-up or velcro cloth diaper with plastic pants. I usually have 2 or 3 nighttime BM's a week. My bladder control isn't bad but I hate getting up and into the bathroom in time so just use my diapers. Lazy? I prefer to think of it as practical. The bowel urgency usually wakes me as it an intense, severe and a sometimes painfull urge. I very rarely have a leak but still use a cloth, water proof cloth bed pad (36" x 50") Sometimes my outter cloth diaper is just damp and sometimes it's soaked. But it works. In the beginning I just used a disposable with boosters and plastic pants and used to leak regularly. Since adding the cloth diaper to the mix I seldom have a leak. I've done a lot of experimenting over the last 20 years and have found this is what works for me.

Same here. Meds don't work, and neither did excercises, timed wetting, or anything else. I've also had multipe surgeries just to reduce my problems and pain, and even those didn't really work all that great.

Any resemblance or hope of continence for me was thrown out long ago. My only option has been to try and get me open and draning freely so that my diapers can do their job.

jack3295 said:
Night protection is equally as important as daytime. I want to prevent a leak on my clothes during the day and I hate waking in a wet bed. During the day, I usually can by with a Comfi-dry 24/7 with a booster or two. I also use pull on plastic pants. A generous application of Desitin ointment and a daily dose of Nullo. It's mostly severe bowel urgency for me and to keep BM's solid I take 3 to 5 doses of Metamucil a day and the occasional Imodium (during more social interaction, when flying or when I plan on being out longer and expect my normal 2 to 3 BM's - this helps constipate me and helps prevent an accidental BM though when things do finally break free I'll have a couple of really large volume releases. Comes with the territory). The Metamucil does wonders for keeping BM's solid (had very loose stool in the beginning after my surgery) though it doesn't do anything for the urgency, and causes increased volume and frequency. This works just fine for the daytime. At bedtime I use the Comfi-dry 24/7 with a booster. I run a pinwheel over the plastic shell and then use a pull-up or velcro cloth diaper with plastic pants. I usually have 2 or 3 nighttime BM's a week. My bladder control isn't bad but I hate getting up and into the bathroom in time so just use my diapers. Lazy? I prefer to think of it as practical. The bowel urgency usually wakes me as it an intense, severe and a sometimes painfull urge. I very rarely have a leak but still use a cloth, water proof cloth bed pad (36" x 50") Sometimes my outter cloth diaper is just damp and sometimes it's soaked. But it works. In the beginning I just used a disposable with boosters and plastic pants and used to leak regularly. Since adding the cloth diaper to the mix I seldom have a leak. I've done a lot of experimenting over the last 20 years and have found this is what works for me.

Same. It's just being practical. If I'm paying for the diaper why not use it?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back