Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Batman (Adam West) is dead

Default Batman (Adam West) is dead

Aw, this just kills me. Adam West, who portrayed Batman in the 1960's Batman series has passed away after a battle with leukemia. He was eighty-eight years old.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-40235142

Batman was the first television show that I truly loved and got excited about as a little kid. The show had such tongue in cheek humour, yet West played it all with such a straight face, you couldn't help but love the show.

The show was such a success that it went on to being televised two nights a week which was a real treat. The first part always ended on a crazy cliffhanger where the dynamic duo were in peril, only to work their way out of it in several minutes in the second half. It was high camp, filled with comic book colours, angled camera shots, and of course, the Batmobile, still the coolest version of that car, IMO.

Celebreties of the day lined up to appear on the show, including Burgess Merideth (Penguin) Ceasar Romero (Joker) Julie Newmar (Catwoman) Liberace, Zsa Zsa Gabor, etc.

I think I didn't realize it at the time as a kid, but I probably had my first gay crush on Robin. Loved his costume.

Adam West never took himself too seriously and he knew he would not be able to break away from the Batman stereotype, so instead, he chose to parody his image in later years. I really enjoyed his recurring role as Mayor Adam West on Family Guy where he plays up his abilty to say those ridiculous, asinine comments with the same seriousness in which he played Batman.

https://youtu.be/vvjVHlfb-PU

His death just brings back so many memories. I'm really going to miss him.

"To the batmobile, Robin! Let's go!"

RIP Adam West you will be missed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Oh bummer most of the actors I grew up with are passing away.
    We will keep the bat signal lit in memory.

It is a death of my childhood.

I remember going Trick or treating in 67 as Batman.

Adam West is was and always will be the one and ONLY "BATMAN"

Egor

Not a show I would watch today... oh hell, yes I would. Faced with reality TV and singing contests, I've been watching Laugh-In on the oldies channel. Adam West's Batman was and is a cultural icon of the 60's. Yeah, I probably saw most of the episodes back in the day.

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    Not a show I would watch today... oh hell, yes I would. Faced with reality TV and singing contests, I've been watching Laugh-In on the oldies channel. Adam West's Batman was and is a cultural icon of the 60's. Yeah, I probably saw most of the episodes back in the day.
    Yeah, I'd love to see it again. I was a senior in high school when it first came out, and everyone was talking about it. It was high camp and fun. I was taking driver ed with three other kids who had been busted for grand theft auto. Our instructor would leave us alone in the car, the car running, while he went into a store to get coffee and a donut. The guys would look at each other and talk about stealing the car. I had driven a neighbor's car a few time so I was no stranger to crazy.

We also used to talk about the weeks Batman and the batmobil. They used to laugh about Batman coming out of a place only to find his Batmobil on cinder blocks, minus the wheels. Fun times at the Jersey Shore with Mafia kids. I was benching a couple hundred pounds, so I could hold my own with them. I was well accepted....haha. Ehhhh......

Growing up in the 60's, Adam West was "BATMAN".
    Yes, I still like to watch Adam West as BATMAN.
    Just sad he is gone now.

RIP "Batman" Adam West. He was the one I watched after school on a black and white tube type television... :-(

The Celebrity Deaths continue. I always enjoyed his role on Family Guy, one of the funniest characters on the show. R.I.P Adam We.

Very entertaining man. I'll miss him, but he did good for the world. He made people smile and laugh. The world is lesser place without him.