Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK General Election 2017

Question UK General Election 2017

What are everyone's thoughts on the recent General Election in the UK?

When Corbyn initially came into the media spotlight a while back, I quite liked him. Then I thought he was completely useless as a leader and hesitantly wrote him off... But the Labour campaign was expertly managed, and the party seemed to come together, moderating Corbyn's more extreme ideas... and putting forward a fairly democratic manifesto. And he seemed to finally have figured out how to deal with the media, whilst maintaining his ethos.

The Lib Dems usually do well locally, and I prefer our candidate over the Labour one... but I think Labour have a better chance of running the country well than do the Lib Dems. Nick Clegg was a great leader (and now he's not even an opposition MP!). There are things I like about Tim Farron, and I like a lot of his ideas, but I'm not totally convinced.

I thought a Conservative government might be the most "stable" for the country and possibly the hardest/best negotiators in Brexit (despite my misgivings), but the aggressive Tory cuts to the NHS, and complete lack of a plan to improve it is horrifying. That, and Teresa May has the personality of a wooden spoon.

---------------------

But now what's going to happen? We have a hung parliament, with the Tories delivering a Queen's Speech asking to take government with the support of the DUP!

The DUP (Democratic Unionist Party) is a Northern Irish party who have been linked to terrorism, want the unification of Ireland, and have (what in the UK are) extreme views, being against LGBT rights and abortion.

The DUP is backed by the UDA (Ulster Defence Association), a violent loyalist paramilitary group which just a few weeks ago executed a man in a supermarket car park in broad daylight, and in front of his three year old son.

http://www.independent.co.uk/voices/...-a7782631.html

The Conservative party are the the more right-wing mainstream political party in the UK. They have spent years trying to "detoxify" their public image to become more "likeable". They have come to terms with and embraced LGBT rights, and focused more on fiscal than social policy... And now they want to get into bed with the DUP?!

A Conservative/DUP coalition mean that an exclusively Northern Irish party is involved in governing the whole of the UK. Not only that, but it would jeopardise the already tense peace-process in NI... And contaminate the Conservatives with the homophobic and corrupt politicians that they've been trying so hard to distance themselves from.

The leader of the Scottish Conservatives is about to be married (to her gay partner), and has already had to ask the Prime Minister for reassurances that her rights won't be affected with a DUP coalition.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-40229826

Corbyn has prepared an alternative Queen's Speech in case the Conservatives fail to form a government.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7783256.html

And there's a petition calling for the rejection of May's proposal to form a coalition, which has already garnered over half a million votes!

https://www.change.org/p/winston-no-...-postmanpratt1

---------------------

With all this going on, and Europe having been ready to start Brexit negotiations from 9:30am today... and no government in place... and no clear mandate for any party's negotiations...

What is going to happen?! What do you make of these shenanigans?!

What with Brexit, Trump, and now this, politics seems to have turned into some kind of epic soap opera! What's going on?!

What a disaster and utter humiliation for the Conservatives, courtesy of Theresa May. She had three years left in her term with a majority government and arrogantly called an election in the belief that she would incease her majority. She ran a lacklustre campaign and it backfired, leaving her scrambling to form a coalition with right wing extremists to remain in power. It would be difficult for the conservatives to replace their leader during a minority governmemt because the government could be brought down at a moment's notice by the opposition parties, so the governing party needs to have a leader whose ready to go. If the coalition proceeds, then Conservatives will likely be drawing their knives to replace May. Conservatives are always hungry to replace their leaders after a loss, and in spite of a minority win, this is a loss for most conservatives, since they basically threw away their majority.

Corbyn, on the other hand ran a great campaign. It was predicted his party would be devestated in this election. Instead, he attracted a lot of the youth vote, as well as voters who were opposed at May's opportunism to gain power with her plans for a hard Brexit. He also attracted the more traditional left with his campaign to tax the rich and scrap hardcore austerity measures. I think he'll continue being a formidable force in this parliament and the next election by being a clear alternative to the other parties.

The Conservative plan was to win a majority and begin the Brexit talks. It's hard to say what will happen now. Both main parties accepted the result of Brexit, but now that the voters have turned against the Conservatives, at least in part because of a hard Brexit, perhaps the possibility of a softer Brexit may come forward.

It is hard to see Theresa May winning support from any party other than the Democratic Unionists in Norther Ireland. The Lib Dems were badly burnt by the coalition with Cameron in 2010 and will likely not repeat the experience. The Scottish Nationalists are fundamentally opposed to the Conservatives so there's no love happening there.

It's a complete mess which was unnecessarily created by the Conservatives after their opportunistic election call backfired. How it affects Brexit remains to be seen.

I hate May, I hate the Tories, since turning 18 I've voted Labour and I also voted to remain in the EU and so far voting hasn't done squat for me. But I'm so glad that Labour were close to winning and that young voters really turned out in force. Maybe next time, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Maxx View Post
    *viddy snip*
    ^^ Ha ha -- what was that from? I remember my parents watching it (and repeating that phrase) when I was a kid. It reminds me of "Yes, Minister", but I don't think it's that...

Well, despite Teresa May saying that she'd secured a deal with the DUP... It seems that she was lying and trying to force the DUP's hand into agreeing to a "confidence and supply" arrangement!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7784136.html

May has now asked for two weeks to prepare her Queen's Speech. And appointed Gove as environment secretary!?!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7785761.html

Air pollution is a huge issue in the UK. Current levels are illegal in many parts of the country. Yet someone who has consistently voted against environmental issues has become environment secretary?!

This is nuts.

The NHS and air pollution are the biggest issues in the UK at the moment (well, I suppose all that Brexit stuff too.)

Quote Originally Posted by CookieMonstah View Post
    I hate May, I hate the Tories, since turning 18 I've voted Labour and I also voted to remain in the EU and so far voting hasn't done squat for me. But I'm so glad that Labour were close to winning and that young voters really turned out in force. Maybe next time, eh?
    I'm a "floating voter" with no loyalty to any party, but I've never enjoyed watching live election coverage so much as this year. I really wanted May to get a kicking. I finally understood the kind of excitement that people have when they watch sports matches. I was like, "Oh! Is this what it feels like when your team is winning?!"

I'm not sure what I hoped for from the election. I thought all the parties were useless when the election was announced. But Corbyn (and his manifesto) convinced me he was the best man for the job. I wish I had more faith in my local representative, however... After all, that's who you're really voting for. (Stupid system.)

Politics in this country is screwed up at the moment. But seeing May's "inevitable landslide" turn into this, with even Kensington turning Labour(!) was like watching the most exciting sports game of all time! :-)
    Last edited by tiny; 13-Jun-2017 at 01:56.

Quote Originally Posted by tiny View Post
    ^^ Ha ha -- what was that from? I remember my parents watching it (and repeating that phrase) when I was a kid. It reminds me of "Yes, Minister", but I don't think it's that...

Well, despite Teresa May saying that she'd secured a deal with the DUP... It seems that she was lying and trying to force the DUP's hand into agreeing to a "confidence and supply" arrangement!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7784136.html

May has now asked for two weeks to prepare her Queen's Speech. And appointed Gove as environment secretary!?!

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk...-a7785761.html

Air pollution is a huge issue in the UK. Current levels are illegal in many parts of the country. Yet someone who has consistently voted against environmental issues has become environment secretary?!

This is nuts.

The NHS and air pollution are the biggest issues in the UK at the moment (well, I suppose all that Brexit stuff too.)

I'm a "floating voter" with no loyalty to any party, but I've never enjoyed watching live election coverage so much as this year. I really wanted May to get a kicking. I finally understood the kind of excitement that people have when they watch sports matches. I was like, "Oh! Is this what it feels like when your team is winning?!"

I'm not sure what I hoped for from the election. I thought all the parties were useless when the election was announced. But Corbyn (and his manifesto) convinced me he was the best man for the job. I wish I had more faith in my local representative, however... After all, that's who you're really voting for. (Stupid system.)

Politics in this country is screwed up at the moment. But seeing May's "inevitable landslide" turn into this, with even Kensington turning Labour(!) was like watching the most exciting sports game of all time! :-)
    tbh I didn't even know the guy I was voting for in terms of my local town, I just knew that I was technically voting for Corbyn

UK version of House of Cards. Picked that 'specially for you. Maybe it wasn't as popular over there as the Kevin Spacey version is here.

Edit: Just looked it up and realized it's a lot older than I thought. (1990ish?) I keep forgetting that I'm now old(ish) and have shoes older than many ADISC members. Color TV is still a relatively recent development as far as I'm concerned. I saw The Wizard of Oz at the drive-in with my parents....
    Last edited by Maxx; 13-Jun-2017 at 17:43.

Random thoughts:

I think we can safely say that Theresa May is no Margaret Thatcher when it comes to her skills as a politician. Her campaign was an embarrassment and frankly I don't see her still being leader of her party the next time an election rolls around.

The DUP having the balance of power is gross.

The last time a minority government was propped up by a Northern Irish party it ended badly for the government. I see the same thing happening.

Northern Ireland is about to get a lot of pork spending.

"Hard" Brexit is most likely dead (see: DUP).

Jeremy Corbyn has a lot less to do with Labour's success than Theresa May does, IMO.

Donald Tusk is probably having way too much fun right now.

The UK version of House of Cards and y'all kids ought to watch it :P

UK version of House of Cards. Picked that 'specially for you. Maybe it wasn't as popular over there as the Kevin Spacey version is here.
    House of Cards?! No way! I associate that with the more recent American version (which I haven't seen). Wow -- I had no idea that was the name of the programme my parents used to talk about. I'll definitely have to give that a watch! Cheers for the tip

Edit: Just looked it up and realized it's a lot older than I thought. (1990ish?) I keep forgetting that I'm now old(ish) and have shoes older than many ADISC members. Color TV is still a relatively recent development as far as I'm concerned. I saw The Wizard of Oz at the drive-in with my parents....
    Ha ha! It's all right -- I must be catching you up in age by now! I would've been fourteen in 1990, so... I'm actually a bit surprised that I didn't watch it myself. But then, at that age, the only things I was interested in were computers, maths and physics. (No, seriously.) Politics, history, economics, sociology, and so on were completely irrelevant to me. :-/ As were girls, discos and beer. :-/

I first discovered the existence of "drive-in movies" from the film Back to The Future. It seemed such a crazy idea! Cars take up so much space; why would you want to watch a film through your windscreen... And yet... it still sounds really amazing! It's like you're in public, but in private... Do they still have "drive-ins" in America?

I first discovered the existence of "drive-in movies" from the film Back to The Future. It seemed such a crazy idea! Cars take up so much space; why would you want to watch a film through your windscreen... And yet... it still sounds really amazing! It's like you're in public, but in private... Do they still have "drive-ins" in America?
    There used to be more...

There's still a live one within range for me. Haven't been in a while, but we did make sure to take the grandsons there when they were staying with us, so they could say they'd been. Thinking about going there for Wonder Woman. Lawn chairs, popcorn, bring in some Popeyes fried chicken.

When I was a young unmarried man, it was one of the better ways to not see a movie. Long time ago... sweet Judy blue eyes with those long, long legs hanging out the window of my VW. Later, with Mrs. Maxx before she was Mrs. Maxx, Fritz the Cat and Flesh Gordon at the x-rated drive-in...

Edit: I liked both versions of "House". There's new American House episodes on Netflix I haven't seen yet.
    Last edited by Maxx; 13-Jun-2017 at 22:16.