After meals

Status
Not open for further replies.

miapeters

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
Heya!

Just putting it out there, but does anyone experience a sudden bowel accident a few minutes or hours after a meal? Bowel accidents are sudden anyway but you know what I mean. I've experienced them occasionally, today we had a heavy lunch and like half and hour later or something I had a really bad bowel accident. Same thing has happened before but not enough to actually notice it as a problem. Just wondering if it's totally coincidental since I can have bad bowel accidents from time to time, the only time when I didn't have a bad episode for the longest time was for about a month last year, but there didn't seem to be a reason behind it.

Sometimes. It's the duodenum sensing food passing. It is the first bit of small intestine after the stomach. If it detects a large amount of food it can kick the rest of your system into high gear. So larger meals I have found to be bad and I just eat little amounts during the day.

Also I found the healthier I eat the worse it can get too, but I am eating healthier now as I don't want to drop from a heart attack before I am 40.

Durring breakfast sometimes I'll have that period where even if I go to the toilet, I will still end up messing myself.

It's not really frequent, but still it happens, one time when we went out for lunch it happened, we spent quite a lot of time in the restaurant and I had a really bad accident while having dessert.....Ugh... Anyway it's always been while out for meals and I probably ate a little more than normal, so dlinu maybe right....

Define what you mean by "a really bad accident". For me, all my BM's are bad just because of the shear volume of the release. But I do use several large doses of a bulk producing fiber supplement (Metamucil) to keep my BM's solid. I'll put up with the increased frquency and volume to avoid the loose BM. For me, that's a really bad accident. In the beginning, I had mostly diareah which is what I consider a "really bad accident." Since using the fiber supplement, I rarely have such accidents. I do keep a pretty strict diet and eating schedule. I know that's hard to do when out at resturants or around a particular holiday or social event. On those occasions I will increase my fiber intake, take some Imodium the night before and the morning of the event. I also use Nullo deoderant pills and heavy gauge plastic pants so if I happen to have a surprise release, it's solid and odor free. I hate changing in public (mostly because I can't get my ocd level of clean without a shower) so unless it's a surprise loose BM I'll wait it out until I get home. If I do happen to have a diareah-like accident (very rare) I head to the car for my emergency change pack and head for a bathroom. I never liked loose stool in my diaper. Way to uncomfortable. My advise? Experiment with Metamucil, dossage # and size to find out what's needed to keep your BM's solid. Also, Imodium the night before and the morning of the event. That should reduce greatly the risk of a "really bad accident" if we are in fact talking about the same thing.

jack3295 said:
Define what you mean by "a really bad accident". For me, all my BM's are bad just because of the shear volume of the release. But I do use several large doses of a bulk producing fiber supplement (Metamucil) to keep my BM's solid. I'll put up with the increased frquency and volume to avoid the loose BM. For me, that's a really bad accident. In the beginning, I had mostly diareah which is what I consider a "really bad accident." Since using the fiber supplement, I rarely have such accidents. I do keep a pretty strict diet and eating schedule. I know that's hard to do when out at resturants or around a particular holiday or social event. On those occasions I will increase my fiber intake, take some Imodium the night before and the morning of the event. I also use Nullo deoderant pills and heavy gauge plastic pants so if I happen to have a surprise release, it's solid and odor free. I hate changing in public (mostly because I can't get my ocd level of clean without a shower) so unless it's a surprise loose BM I'll wait it out until I get home. If I do happen to have a diareah-like accident (very rare) I head to the car for my emergency change pack and head for a bathroom. I never liked loose stool in my diaper. Way to uncomfortable. My advise? Experiment with Metamucil, dossage # and size to find out what's needed to keep your BM's solid. Also, Imodium the night before and the morning of the event. That should reduce greatly the risk of a "really bad accident" if we are in fact talking about the same thing.
So for me really bad means I'm taking about volume, I rarely have diarrhea unless I have a bad stomach from eating something dodgy, but they happens to most.
Usually my bowel accidents are quite large but going out for dinner= me eating more food = even worse bowel accident, but it's not uncontrollably large, just hard to manage.

That's completely normal. Eating stimulates bowl/intestine movement. It makes sense if you think about it. The body is always trying to maintain homeostasis so when you add food to your digestive system is has to be balanced out on the other end. If you were to weigh what you eat and drink and then weigh your diapers afterwards you'd find that it's almost exactly the same.

miapeters said:
Heya!

Just putting it out there, but does anyone experience a sudden bowel accident a few minutes or hours after a meal? Bowel accidents are sudden anyway but you know what I mean. I've experienced them occasionally, today we had a heavy lunch and like half and hour later or something I had a really bad bowel accident. Same thing has happened before but not enough to actually notice it as a problem. Just wondering if it's totally coincidental since I can have bad bowel accidents from time to time, the only time when I didn't have a bad episode for the longest time was for about a month last year, but there didn't seem to be a reason behind it.

Yeah, that is the type of incontinence I have is random bowel accidents after meals.

Yeah, I'm going for another friends dinner so I'll better be prepared to change immediately,

Depends on the meal. Coffee gets me every time, that's why I generally only drink it when I'm already planning to get a change in the near future.

Mia, like me, volume is our problem. Something I deal with on a regular basis. So by definition, all my BM's are "really bad accidents". If I didn't have to deal with my very severe urgency and had a bit more time I could probably make it to the bathroom more. But the urgency hits so fast and intensifies so quickly I rarely get that chance. It's not muscle strength, I've been tested and sphincter control is actually quite good. It's just that the urge to release is overpowering. Like I said in my earlier post, at least for me, trying to stay on a schedule and staying away from foods that I know I don't tolerate well helps a lot. With the amount of Metamucil I injest daily it's only natural that my voids are frequent and most of the time, quite large. I understand the nature of your particular difficulties and what helps me may not help you. Since stool consistancy is not your problem, I doubt the introduction of a fiber supplement would be of much help. Still, with all I put into my bowel program, it does little to stop uncontrolable release. It took a few years just to get my voids to be solid and at this point it's probably the best I can hope for. Success for me is having solid voids. It does sound like you are taking the proper precautions with Nullo and plastic pants. You should be thankful for a group of such understanding friends. It's great that they include you in social outings despite the additional pressure it puts on you. I hope your wrist is better. I'm sure the brace support helps enormously. Try to keep positive. And smile.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back