Not open for further replies.

Onesieman

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
  4. Sissy
What is your all time favorite game? And why?

It's hard for me to decide between 3 games.

My first one is Pokémon gold for gameboy color and DS. It was the first Pokémon game I played, and I would emulate this game any day. I will keep found back to this one until the day I die. Heart gold alone made me into a hardcore pokéfan for life. I always can get a shiny version of my favorite creature: Gyrados, he is awesome.

My second is Fire emblem awakening on 3DS. When I got my 2DS this was one of the first games I bought for it. It far exceeded my expectations with a colorful cast of characters, an amazing plotline, the choice of turning permadeath on or off, support conversations that lead into child units, and great DLC. FE Awakening peaked my curiosity and I emulated the other FE games, even the Japan exclusives. I love this series.

My third choice is Doom 1 & 2. I'm not the biggest fan of shooter games but this and Halo are an exception. The music here is so amazing, that there's multiple cover albums of the original soundtrack. I could spend hours running with a shotgun, popping demons with hot shells, and killing barons with rockets. I have the ROMs of the SNES and GBA versions and the BFG edition on PS3. Best FPS game in existence.

Those are my top picks.

My favourite game is skyrim because I like using magic and I love playing as a khaiit which is half cat and half human. Like that you can explore and do side quests instead of just doing the main quests and that there is no right or wrong way to play the game.

For Online play it would be GTA 5

For Offline play it would Skyrim or Fallout and Euro Truck Simulator

World of Warcraft. I have played this game since my early teens and I always find myself going back to it. I've got well over a year logged in game across two characters.

GTA IV for me, I spent hundreds of hours playing it on my PS3. I can remember GTA IV being the first game I played during that generation and it blew my mind. GTA IV was also the first game I played in HD on an HDTV, which again blew my mind, and it was also the first game I ever played online. I'm not sure a game will ever capture me as much as GTA IV did for me, it was just such a jump from San Andreas and the 6th generation. The GTA series has always been my favorite and continues to draw me back with each release, I can't wait until the next installment.

Oh, man, that's a hard one for me. I'm more into sports games, so I like game series like Madden, NHL and NASCAR. Also, I really like the Guitar Hero and Rock Band series.

As flawed as it is, I can't help but love Saints Row 2. It's my go-to sandbox game, purely because the game just wants you to have fun the whole way through.

There's also Fallout New Vegas (a literal sandbox game I suppose) which I'd call a flawed masterpiece.

And then there's Dark Souls, can't decide if 1, 2 or Bloodborne are my favourite.

- - - Updated - - -

Onesieman said:
My third choice is Doom 1 & 2. I'm not the biggest fan of shooter games but this and Halo are an exception. The music here is so amazing, that there's multiple cover albums of the original soundtrack. I could spend hours running with a shotgun, popping demons with hot shells, and killing barons with rockets. I have the ROMs of the SNES and GBA versions and the BFG edition on PS3. Best FPS game in existence.
Have you played the reboot-sequel-thing that came out last year, that was a blast! Can't say I've played the originals myself though, never been that big of an Doom (or any FPS) Guy either.

Pretty much all the Mario classics have a special place in my heart; SMB3, Yoshi's Island, SMW, and many other Mario titles are all games I quite literally grew up with.

But if I had to pick a modern franchise, I'd probably go with Assassin's Creed. I've been a huge fan of AC since the first game, and the Ezio trilogy was probably one of my most well-invested video game moments. I must've beaten AC2 and Brotherhood at least twenty times. I'm still a huge fan of Assassin's Creed to this very day, which means when they release half-baked games like Unity, it really hurts.

Honorable mentions go to Halo, Rock Band, Super Smash Bros., Dark Souls, and Eternal Darkness.

Last edited:
Onesieman said:
What's your favorite game?

Oooooo. Tough.

Hmmm...

ClandestineWing said:
Pretty much all the Mario classics have a special place in my heart; SMB3, Yoshi's Island, SMW, and many other Nario titles are all games I quite literally grew up with.

This is definitely true of me. I was still young and impressionable when the NES came out, and consequently many of its titles are special to me in ways that newer titles can never be. There was magic in those 8-bit, jagged-edged sprites! I can also remember the quiet darkness of my old playroom, interrupted only by the occasional beeps and blips of Air-Sea Battle on the Atari 2600--on a black-and-white TV, inside of a pillow fort that my friend and I had built to sleep in.

:eek:ldguy:

But my "favorite" game, simply based on the number of hours I've played it, is probably Castlevania: Symphony of the Night on the Playstation/PSOne/PS1. I couldn't tell you how many times I've completed that game. I even had a pretty decent any-percent speedrun time at one point. (Same goes for Super Metroid on the SNES.) Last fall, I attempted to match my old record. I came close, but my 40-year-old carpal tunnels couldn't take it. I awoke the next morning with my right fist clenched, and had to use my left hand to pry it open. No joke! It was that bad. So my speedrunning days are over, methinks.

Speeding ahead to modern times, though: My favorite game so far this decade is probably Ni No Kuni on the PS3. It's another game that I've played absolutely to death--the game's death, not mine. :) After beating it umpteen times the correct way, I got into hacking it. I won't go into details there, however, as I'd be short-circuiting a couple of my online personas. Needless to say, this fall's release of Ni No Kuni II has me ridiculously excited.

As others have said, choosing a favourite game is very tough. The older you get the more games you play and the stronger nostalgia becomes. I still feel though there are a few games that stick out so vividly in my mind when I think about video games. Trying to choose which is my absolute favourite is a tough one though. They all are special to me for so many different reasons.

When I think back to the first games I played it was a mix of cassette games on Amstrad and Commodores. Watching those tapes take half an hour to load was a bit of a bore and I never really got into video games until the early 1990's. In the UK cartridge based consoles like the NES and Sega Master System were never that popular but once the Mega Dive (Genesis) and SNES had launched those early cassettes were left behind. It was Sonic the Hedgehog on the Sega that really gripped me. If memory serves, me and my brothers got a Mega Drive with the game Xmas 1991. At first, just like Cottontail, we played it on a black and white television. While the first two Sonic games were awesome my absolute favourite was Sonic 3 and its add-on Sonic & Knuckles. When you locked the two cartridges together it created Sonic 3 & Knuckles. The speed and level design, as well as the colourful sprites really blew my mind. Who needed Mario when you had Sonic! I still play this game on my Mega Drive today and my speed runs are of a good standard. I can complete it without dying or suffering any damage as well.

As the decade progressed and I started to experience more and more video games, Windows PC's started to become popular and games like DOOM and SimCity were so popular that they now cultural icons. For me though one game stood out, it was a strategy game that had it all. Dragons, castles, artefacts and heroes. It was called Heroes of Might and Magic II and it is the game I have probably played the most in my life. I have played that game for about 20 years now and it never gets boring even if I know the computer AI inside out and can remember every nook and cranny of all the maps. The graphics were quite basic but colourful and charming. The music was excellent though, CD quality operatic style tunes really gave the sense of grand battles. Anyone that enjoys turn based games should check the Heroes series out. But the second one is my favourite game of all time.

I have always played 2D fighting games since before Street Fighter II as well. I love learning the combos and trying to win them on the hardest setting. Another genre I have a soft spot for is extreme sports. I remember playing California Games back in the day and still love the Tony Hawk skateboarding series. My favourite extreme sports would be Cool Boarders 2, that was a game I played to death on the PS1. I still pick it up from time to time today and glad my memory card still has all the unlockable content saved. It had cool music and a genius trick system, as well as high scores, fattest times and a tournament mode.

Modern games, by which I mean, post 2000 really do not do it for me. The advent of 3D movie like games have taken the skill out of them. It seems to be more about time spent than actual hand-eye coordinated skill anymore. Gone are the days of speed runs and high scores sadly. No longer can you be proud to win ten matches in a row on Street Fighter II in your local arcade.

MotherFaith said:
Modern games, by which I mean, post 2000 really do not do it for me. The advent of 3D movie like games have taken the skill out of them. It seems to be more about time spent than actual hand-eye coordinated skill anymore. Gone are the days of speed runs and high scores sadly. No longer can you be proud to win ten matches in a row on Street Fighter II in your local arcade.

I don't think I've ever disagreed with something so vehemently before. Frankly this is incredibly wrong. Modern games take more skill to get good at than a lot of old games. We have games like Dark Souls which require skill and dedication. Hell play any Modern Fighting game, they require skill, critical thinking, and dedication.

I never got into the fighting games... but I look at the NHL franchise All Star difficulty used to be too easy, nowadays I find beginner too easy but the next level up "Pro" to be too difficult.

SnowBlitz said:
I don't think I've ever disagreed with something so vehemently before. Frankly this is incredibly wrong. Modern games take more skill to get good at than a lot of old games. We have games like Dark Souls which require skill and dedication. Hell play any Modern Fighting game, they require skill, critical thinking, and dedication.

I will agree Dark Souls is incredibly difficult, an exception to the rule as there usually is. Modern fighters are way more forgiving than the 90's fighters. Try pulling off Rock's Neo Deadly Rave in in Garou: Mark of the Wolves or a 47 hit ulra with Orchid in Killer Instinct on the SNES. Then play the modern counterparts and see how forgiving the AI is.

I've played and liked way too many games over the years to be able to pick an all time favorite, but here's my top 10 (in no order)

Halo: Combat Evolved
Assassins Creed 2
Mass Effect 1
Bioshock 1
Pokemon Yellow
Supreame commander
Darksiders
Skyrim
Star Wars Knights Of The Old Republic
Half-Life

And thinking about it, either Half-Life or Halo would probably be tied for number 1.

At this moment i'm sinking a lot of time in Factorio,

game's i also play:
PLAYERUNKNOWN'S BATTLEGROUNDS
Production Line
Kingdoms And Castles

I'm always into the Need For Speed series, so it's very hard to just pick one. So here's my top 5.

5. Need For Speed (2015)
4. Need For Speed: Carbon (2006)
3. Need For Speed: Underground (2003)
2. Need For Speed: Underground 2 (2004)
1. Need For Speed: Most Wanted (2005)

Honorable Mentions: Need For Speed: Rivals (2013), Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit (2010), Need For Speed: The Run (2011), Need for Speed: Hot Pursuit 2 (2002), Need For Speed: Undercover (2008)

Last edited:
MotherFaith said:
Try pulling off Rock's Neo Deadly Rave in in Garou: Mark of the Wolves or a 47 hit ulra with Orchid in Killer Instinct on the SNES. Then play the modern counterparts and see how forgiving the AI is.

One doesn't play fighting games to get better against AI, though. They're meant to be played competitively against other players.

ClandestineWing said:
One doesn't play fighting games to get better against AI, though. They're meant to be played competitively against other players.

When I say AI I mean how easily the computer lets you pull off the move 1p or 2p mode. Older games force you to be quicker AND more precise. The combos are harder and more intricate. Modern fighters are far more forgiving when it comes to these things. There are players who can take modern fighters to a different level but in the main they lack difficulty curve when it comes to excelling. Just how I see things these days, maybe I am old and grumpy

-------edit---------

Replace AI with controller inputs. Can see the confusion I am causing. Note to self: learn my jargon. :educate:

Last edited:
MotherFaith said:
When I say AI I mean how easily the computer lets you pull off the move 1p or 2p mode. Older games force you to be quicker AND more precise. The combos are harder and more intricate. Modern fighters are far more forgiving when it comes to these things. There are players who can take modern fighters to a different level but in the main they lack difficulty curve when it comes to excelling. Just how I see things these days, maybe I am old and grumpy

-------edit---------

Replace AI with controller inputs. Can see the confusion I am causing. Note to self: learn my jargon. :educate:

Modern fighting games are not forgiving at all. Please go play a modern fighting game then try to say this. At this point you're sounding like you've never actually played a fighting game outside of the 90's. I'd go so far as to say you're insulting Professional Gamers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back