Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Superiority complex

Default Superiority complex

Lately over the last six months I've been able to control this part of myself. But it's been getting more difficult as time went on. The people around me keep showing me how much garbage they are against me. They're not as smart, witty, or strategic. I hate being around these low level humans. They tick me off. I've been trying to not think this way, but everyone around me just prove me superior thinking. This feel a lot better than depressed, but it can be troublesome.

That's one of the drawbacks to having above-average intelligence -- it can make interaction with most people rather frustrating. I have a t-shirt that reads "Have you ever listened to someone for awhile and wondered, 'Who ties your shoelaces for you?'" And some days that's exactly how I feel. I try not to think of myself as superior, though, but rather as lucky. I have experienced "brain fog" before due to nutritional deficiencies, and it gave me a taste of what it would be like to be unable to grasp things as quickly and in as much detail as I normally do, to have concepts and ideas I formerly found intriguing and fun to ponder suddenly seem to be towering over my head, incomprehensibly complex. While I often end up frustrated (especially when people take me for an idiot simply because what I'm saying is sailing right over their head), in the end I feel badly for those who have never known greater clarity of thought in their entire life.

One really big fat sign for not being as intelligent as you think is talking publicly about how smart you are.

Quote Originally Posted by pampersguy View Post
    One really big fat sign for not being as intelligent as you think is talking publicly about how smart you are.
    Your confusing intelligence with modesty

Quote Originally Posted by Sapphyre View Post
    That's one of the drawbacks to having above-average intelligence -- it can make interaction with most people rather frustrating. I have a t-shirt that reads "Have you ever listened to someone for awhile and wondered, 'Who ties your shoelaces for you?'" And some days that's exactly how I feel. I try not to think of myself as superior, though, but rather as lucky. I have experienced "brain fog" before due to nutritional deficiencies, and it gave me a taste of what it would be like to be unable to grasp things as quickly and in as much detail as I normally do, to have concepts and ideas I formerly found intriguing and fun to ponder suddenly seem to be towering over my head, incomprehensibly complex. While I often end up frustrated (especially when people take me for an idiot simply because what I'm saying is sailing right over their head), in the end I feel badly for those who have never known greater clarity of thought in their entire life.
    As a high-IQ Autistic with Cerebral Palsy, I have had experiences like these.
    A lot of people have taken me for either an Idiot or a Kook.
    Not nice, from my point of view.

I think that most people with above average intelligence feel like that at times, especially when you are talking to someone and their eyes glaze over and you know you are no longer getting through to them, but rather than flaunt our intelligence i feel we should still continue talking to people but perhaps using simpler concepts or ideas, I've yet to meet anyone from Sir Clive Sinclair down that i can't talk to. (shamelessly name dropping).

PampersGuy, IQ or intelligence measured on any scale is just a number and an indication of potential rather than actual ability. I have a fairly high IQ and can trace and fix most electronic problems, but i can't hammer a nail in straight or put a screw in something without usually stripping the head of the screw. Go figure!

Also a lot of autistic people even the ones that seem totally unreachable are very intelligent. There is a teenager in the UK with severe autism that can look at a building, go away and no matter how complicated the structure can draw it from memory perfectly. People like that used to be called idiot savants (a person who has a mental disability or learning difficulties but is extremely gifted in a particular way, such as the performing of feats of memory or calculation. A person who is extremely unworldly but displays natural wisdom and insight). Fortunately medical science is now putting more research into autism and a lot of the results they are coming up with are quite extraordinary.
    Last edited by PCBaby; 07-Jun-2017 at 23:56. Reason: addition

I'm not totally sure you even need to have a particularly high intelligence to feel this way. You can just be average, and then there comes along a person who just blows you away with stupidity...

I don't try too hard to understand people because you just can't sometimes. Some people spend too much time worrying about stupid, unimportant things, and then there are those who are just plain stupid.

My overall experiences with humanity have been pretty bleak, but I'm sure there must be a few gems out there. In the meantime I'll just worry about my own life, and I think that might be the best you can do sometimes...

I am Autistic and have a higher then normal IQ as well and my field of work is fixing electronics, I have had those customers that can't grasp how a flash light works but the way I try to deal with people is looking at it from a standpoint of advantages and disadvantages, like for my self I am very good at what I do, but relating to humans on an emotional level I am a total fail and I find that my little soap box now becomes level with other people, what I may be better at in one department I am not as good in another and that levels out the playing field and for me that eliminates the feeling of being superior to otherwise hairless monkeys that infest this world, lol

Holy crap how I love this feeling. Others mean nothing when I feel this. They're nothing better than the dirt at my feet. Thankfully I have control over this. If I didn't I would hurt and destroy everyone around me. In this state others are items, property or my favorite chess pieces. I do what I want with them. There's a short list of people I can't see myself better than during this time, but most of them are not around. I'm coming back down from this, but honestly this is the best I ever feel (For obvious reason) at any given time.