Thread: Fake News From Breitbart

Default Fake News From Breitbart

Breitbart News is reporting that up to 5,000 people demonstrated on Parliament Hill in Canada in support of Trump’s conservative policies on Saturday. As of this morning, the article has been shared more than 33,000 times on social media.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...dministration/

This is just more fake news courtesy of Breitbart and Steve Bannon, one of Trump's senior advisors. Basically, this was a small demonstration with less than 100 demonstrators who were conservative Trudeau haters. Our local police called out Breitbart on the false information, confirming there were less than a hundred people and that they were so dispersed that no one even knew they were there. As someone who lives downtown and close to the Parliament buildings, I can tell you we would have been aware of any demonstration that was taking place and it would have received local press coverage. It's actually getting more coverage in the media today because of the false news Breitbart published.

https://ipolitics.ca/2017/06/05/city...mp-hill-rally/

I learned long ago to disregard crowd estimates from the mainstream media. That goes in spades for outlets specifically created for axe-grinding. (Breitbart, Vox, Huffington-Puffington, Thinkprogress, Drudge leap to mind). Even for non-political gatherings, estimates seem to get inflated. Perhaps the reporters need to stroke their own egos by emphasizing the importance of THEIR assigned story.

while it is best to have accuracy, the underlying cause here seems more worth of concern. If this is true "Other marchers were protesting the impending passage of M-103, a new law that would make criticism of Islam a criminal offense in Canada.

M-103 states that the government must “condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination.” It would levy criminal sentences on those who criticize Islam."

Then I would do whatever it takes to get that message out.

I wonder if it would be a crime to vote for someone who was against M-103?

Quote Originally Posted by ArchtopK View Post
    while it is best to have accuracy, the underlying cause here seems more worth of concern. If this is true "Other marchers were protesting the impending passage of M-103, a new law that would make criticism of Islam a criminal offense in Canada.

M-103 states that the government must “condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination.” It would levy criminal sentences on those who criticize Islam."

Then I would do whatever it takes to get that message out.

I wonder if it would be a crime to vote for someone who was against M-103?
    I have no idea what the 'underlying cause' may have been since there doesn't even appear to have been a demonstration, in spite of Breitbat's fake news. Even if it was an anti-Trudeau protest, it doesn't make it a pro-Trump rally.

the underlying cause is M-103. It's not my country so I don't know how your legislative process works. But i would not want legislation that made it a crime to simply criticize someone or someone's religion.

the underlying cause is M-103. It's not my country so I don't know how your legislative process works. But i would not want legislation that made it a crime to simply criticize someone or someone's religion.

M-103 was a motion brought before Parliament to reaffirm Canadian values at a time when other countries were practicing religious intolerance and enforcing travel bans.

Canada's Parliament approved M-103, which is a non-binding motion that calls on the government to 'condemn Islamophobia and all forms of systemic racism and religious discrimination.' The motion also calls on the government to take steps to 'quell the increasing public climate of hate and fear.'

The context that poisoned the debate is the rhetoric that appeared in social media claiming the bill to be Christian-phobia and was a way to bring Sharia law to Canada.

M-103 is a symbolic declaration, not a law, with no legal force or effect, similar to the anti-semitism motion passed by the previous Conservative government in 2015. It does not denounce criticism of religion or Islam, only unfounded fear and hatred of Muslims, which is the definition of Islamophobia.

The only section of M-103 that directs Parliament to take any action is in asking the government to 'take an approach to reducing or eliminating systemic racism and religious discrimination including Islamophobia' and to 'collect data to contextualize hate crime reports and to conduct needs assessments for impacted communities.'

The problem with the opponents of M-103 is that they don't seem to understand the difference between a motion and a bill. The problem with Breitbart's reporting of a demonstration that never happened, is that they show a complete disregard for the truth and a lack of understanding of how our laws really work in Canada.

https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/a...-on-canada-duh

Also, when you get this abysmal kind of turnout at a demonstration, (looking at the real numbers and not the ones made up by Breitbart), it's safe to say the few who showed up were not representative of the majority of the country, and were indeed a fringe minority.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 07-Jun-2017 at 18:06.

When I first came across Breitbart, soon after the site began... It almost sickened me. I thought I was looking at some kind of KKK site at the time, or something like that. I probably saw a particularly controversial article, but still....
    Last edited by ShippoFox; 08-Jun-2017 at 22:42.

Actually, Breitbart is only picking up a story that originally ran in the Daily Caller. hard to tell the timeline on the DC article, whether it was before or after the start of the rally. But it seems to be relying on a guesstimate of expected turnout.

And like all things, this one seems to have gotten out of control. I still think laws like this are worrisome for freedom and liberty in general. But hey, the public gets the government it deserves right?

Actually, Breitbart is only picking up a story that originally ran in the Daily Caller. hard to tell the timeline on the DC article, whether it was before or after the start of the rally. But it seems to be relying on a guesstimate of expected turnout.

And like all things, this one seems to have gotten out of control. I still think laws like this are worrisome for freedom and liberty in general. But hey, the public gets the government it deserves right?
    Welĺ, you'd think that if you can't get a single picture of a demonstration with 5,000 people, it should automatically be suspect before running with it.

And if the public gets the government it deserves, well, I hope we never do anything to deserve a Trump in Canada.