IBS diaper recommendations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Molecule

Contributor
Role
  1. Incontinent
For those that suffer from IBS, (or those that use their diapers for #2). What diaper brand(s) do you find are the best for containment and odor control?

I had the Tranquility Slimline recommended but honestly can't see how this would be a great diaper as the cut seems too low in back and I'd envision not enough real estate available for containment.

I'm not seeking a large liquid absorption ability, just something to contain properly in the event of an accident while coordinating cleaning up.

Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Molecule said:
For those that suffer from IBS, (or those that use their diapers for #2). What diaper brand(s) do you find are the best for containment and odor control?

I had the Tranquility Slimline recommended but honestly can't see how this would be a great diaper as the cut seems too low in back and I'd envision not enough real estate available for containment.

I'm not seeking a large liquid absorption ability, just something to contain properly in the event of an accident while coordinating cleaning up.

Thanks!

I have really bad bowel accidents and frequent too, I use confidry 24/7, it's also on the thick side a little cause I have full bladder incontinence so I need that, but what I previously used was the abena abriform m4, if u don't have big problems with wettings then going for an abriform m3 or 2 should be okay.
They both have really good containment for bowel accidents and plenty of room for containment. I can really vouch for them cause I do have really bad bowel accidents, there are times when I've really had a bad accident to really fill the diaper but those where extreme cases where sometimes my incontinence would act up.

I usually care more about one that holds til I need a change for #2 so I generally go for a depends with stuffers when I need to be in for longer. There most recent ones do the job well enough.

More rear coverage would be generally what you want to look for when you're dealing with fecal accidents.

For me I've had good luck with the following:

Rearz Inspire+InControl (Princess Pink, Seduction, and Safari are printed versions)

ABU Simple (Space, LittlePawz, and Barebum are printed versions of it)

Wellness Superio (more because they have really tall leak guards)

ConfiDry 24/7 (I find the tapes problematic though)

----------
One that I've found cut a little high in the rear at least on me and are more susceptible to leaking out the cuffs.
----------

Northshore Supreme, seem to cut a tad high on my rear.

Abena L4, generally worked, but sometimes leaked.

I've suffered from IBS-D since...well since as long as I can remember. Honestly the best diaper are any of the wider, premium brands with inner leak guards. I've been wearing Northshore Supremes for 2.5 years and they work like a champ for both bladder and bowel incontinence. Abena M4, ConfiDry 24/7, ABU (Simple, Space, Little Pawz), Seni Quattro, Molicare X-Plus will all do the job.

Thanks for the input everyone! Definitely some suggestions to try.

I tend to find that I need a nappy which is fairly baggy at the rear, so there's space for the BM to spread without causing a complete blowout

I used to use the Abena M4s for a a couple of years. I had blow outs and then they had manufacturing problems (would tear behind my butt nullifying why I was wearing them). I don't know if it was my body type or what, but then I switched to ABU Simples and never looked back. They work way better and have a better fit all around for me. No blow outs have occurred since with them. Even with the worst my body has to throw at them. So really shop around because each diaper design fits each person different.

There are a lot of good ones out there but I found out simply sampling won't cut it for figuring this out. I tried other brands that worked for a week or so until I had a flare up that made it worse and then the blowouts would happen. I've tried 24/7, Abena, Molicare, ABU Simples (and Space when feeling a little depressed about my incontinence), the A+ brand by XP Medical, and four others that were prescribed to me while I was in the military. I forget their names but the one Tricare was trying to give me were horrendous and it was easier for me to just shop around and get my own. I think that's why they make crap so hard with them and the VA, but that's a separate subject.

TLDR: Shop around. Try the big recommendations for a month each to make sure they can handle the worst you can do. Each persons body is different and diapers will handle differently for them.

Last edited:
Molecure,

I'm bowel incontinent (actually, double incontinent). My severe chronic constipation causes overflow diarrhea, so my symptoms probably are similar to yours.

In selecting a good diaper for bowel incontinence, there are four important criteria. These are 1) tall and stiff internal standing leak guards, 2) a generous fecal "drop zone," 3) good leg elastics, and 4) a good fit.

Many diapers have leak guards that are almost ineffective as they are not both tall and stiff.

Without a good fit, the other features will not sufficiently contain bowel.

The fecal "drop zone" is extra sag space in the rear to contain feces. Otherwise they will push past the leak guards and leg elastics when you have to sit to drive or remove shoes and trousers.

Good brands, most mentioned above, are Dry 24/7, NorthShore Supreme, Wellness Superio Signature , and ABU Simple.

Re absorbency, although you do not need super absorbency, you may be forced to get more absorbency than you probably need in order to get a good diaper with the other features.

--John

Yeah, I've been using confidry 24/7 since this year and even I have sometime's a very large bowel accident which is really worrying since I doubt many briefs can deal with such a server accident but the 24/7 have been consistently good for me.
I also have really bad bladder incontinence so the extra absorbancy of this really helps.

jdinvirginia said:
Molecure,

I'm bowel incontinent (actually, double incontinent). My severe chronic constipation causes overflow diarrhea, so my symptoms probably are similar to yours.

In selecting a good diaper for bowel incontinence, there are four important criteria. These are 1) tall and stiff internal standing leak guards, 2) a generous fecal "drop zone," 3) good leg elastics, and 4) a good fit.

Many diapers have leak guards that are almost ineffective as they are not both tall and stiff.

Without a good fit, the other features will not sufficiently contain bowel.

The fecal "drop zone" is extra sag space in the rear to contain feces. Otherwise they will push past the leak guards and leg elastics when you have to sit to drive or remove shoes and trousers.

Good brands, most mentioned above, are Dry 24/7, NorthShore Supreme, Wellness Superio Signature , and ABU Simple.

Re absorbency, although you do not need super absorbency, you may be forced to get more absorbency than you probably need in order to get a good diaper with the other features.

--John

JD, you've never talked to me about Drop Zone! I feel left out. You'll have to talk about that to me someday.

I myself suffer from ibs d and I truly understand your pain. I didn't start using diapers for it until 6 months ago and what I found is a lot of Ab brands are much better at holding a huge mess. Just last week I was shopping wearing a ABU preschool when my ibs kicked in before I knew it I exploded several times. I was swimming in poop it was gross but the preschool held all of it no leaks and it was a lot of it. I was very impressed. I've tried abena and tranquility. Abena is good but the bulk is uncomfortable and tranquility leaked. North shore supreme was good. Tykables are good too but they never have any in stock so to me they are unreliable. Abu makes a simple white one though if your not into ab stuff. For me I don't care if it's printed or not I need comfort and make sure it holds what I throw at it. A lot of medical diapers can't give me that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back