Thread: Seafood capable of writing

Arrow Seafood capable of writing

That's what I am.

Hello everyone!
    As you can see, my name is "Sepia", although you can call me whatever you want, as long as I know you are referring to me. Some stuff about me (may be fictitious - if you want more facts-based stuff, jump to the paragraph after the pizza):

Originally I was a member of a clandestine group of self-aware sea creatures commonly referred to as S.H.E.L.L.F.I.S.H.. Besides the pretty tasteless name considering it's recruits, it is unsure what the acronym stood for or who our backers were. Our main activities primarily were wet work while maintaining watertight alibis. Well, after a lot of pondering considering my line of work and the flood of watery puns naturally coming along with it, I left the group and tried to be a pilot, but that job was just way too over the top for me, so I resigned again. And now I seem to be here.

But now for the truth (probably):
    I'm a twenty-something who really likes to read (be it books, magazines, newspapers, ingredient lists - I started to read like a maniac back when I was four and I'm interested in virtually everything), write (questionable stuff like the above), draw, cook (I don't say it's good), travel and other stuff - whatever I like to do (and got the money for) at the moment. I can speak more or less fluently in two languages (English and German) and ask for the way to the train station in some more (while hardly understanding the answer, so it's a kinda useless superpower). English isn't the mother tongue of the two mentioned, so beware: there could be mistakes. Or not. I'll decide later on.

If you've got some questions left about me (though there isn't much interesting left to say), don't be afraid - just ask. We'll see whether I'll answer.

Welcome to ADISC! So you're a cuttlefish. Nice. One of my many favorite sea creatures. I'd love to get my son interested in reading and writing like you have been. What was it that got you started?

Thank you for the warm welcome!
    Nice to see that you like cuttlefish, too - they are so intelligent and still have a lot of mysteries for us to uncover!

It's a good idea to get your child interested in reading - and I can indeed remember how it started for me, although I suppose it probably isn't very helpful: it was Christmas Eve and my grandmother gave me a book back then, which contained several short stories about a school class of animals and their hijinks. (I can't recall the title, but I guess it's just some obscure German book anyway.) There wasn't anyone in my family who wanted to read it to me (which was rather common), so I just tried to read it on my own - word by word - asking other people when I didn't understand something. Thanks to this, I slowly "solved" the texts like a puzzle, if you want to call it like that and this way I learned really quick. Other books followed (only children's books at first, of course), while I tried to decipher every other text I could find (like the aforementioned ingredient lists) - and this is how it started. This is also pretty much the same way I taught myself English later on.

Edit: There is some weird correlation in the way the characters are sitting on our respective avatars... XD

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia View Post
    There is some weird correlation in the way the characters are sitting on our respective avatars... XD
    Ha Ha. How strange. My avatar looks like he's just chilling out with his piercing stare, but in reality he's got an undercurrent of concentrated energy flowing through him that can, at any minute, enable him to spring instantly into action. That's pretty much me in a nutshell.

Thanks for the story about early reading. I found it interesting that you chose to treat it like a game.

Hi! You know, I don't actually often greet new members (thought I know I should) but the subject header of your intro intrigued me and I felt compelled to dive in. I'm so glad I did--happy as a clam to be honest. You don't know how it is to fish through schools of members for the few who truly understand the fine art of wordplay. Wave after wave of newbies come through without a single bite, and then, suddenly, there's someone new on the line and I feel the currents of that old thrill run through me.

You will de-fin-itely fit well here. I hope you fine your way to the Stories forum at some point...

:-)

Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    Ha Ha. How strange. My avatar looks like he's just chilling out with his piercing stare, but in reality he's got an undercurrent of concentrated energy flowing through him that can, at any minute, enable him to spring instantly into action. That's pretty much me in a nutshell.
    The character on my avatar on the other hand is just chilling out. Well... until some seconds in the episode I took that picture from later. But I don't want to spoil anything. Watch Pani Poni Dash!

Thanks for the story about early reading. I found it interesting that you chose to treat it like a game.
    You are welcome! Playful learning is one of the best ways to remember things - no matter how old you are. This is even scientifically proven - fun things combined with a lot of visual input (real or imaginary) really stick in your brain for a long time. A pretty good reason to never lose this trait.

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    Hi! You know, I don't actually often greet new members (thought I know I should) but the subject header of your intro intrigued me and I felt compelled to dive in. I'm so glad I did--happy as a clam to be honest. You don't know how it is to fish through schools of members for the few who truly understand the fine art of wordplay. Wave after wave of newbies come through without a single bite, and then, suddenly, there's someone new on the line and I feel the currents of that old thrill run through me.

You will de-fin-itely fit well here. I hope you fine your way to the Stories forum at some point...

:-)
    Thanks to you too for the nice text! I hope I will fit into this sea of people I surfed right into. Maybe we are already jumping the shark with this puns - so who you gonna call? A mari. (Of course.)
    I don't really have the time to write some full-fledged stories at the moment, but who knows - someday, perhaps. ^^

Quote Originally Posted by Sepia View Post
    Thanks to you too for the nice text! I hope I will fit into this sea of people I surfed right into. Maybe we are already jumping the shark with this puns - so who you gonna call? A mari. (Of course.)
    I don't really have the time to write some full-fledged stories at the moment, but who knows - someday, perhaps. ^^
    If you ever do, I know we'll have someone there with real sole. (Speaking of which: you're not musical too, are you? Our Stories Forum band could use a bass player. Our current guy is so out of tuna that I...well, I don't want to carp about that.) Anyway, I'll climb down from my perch and just say welcome. Saury about all of the puns. Kanyu imagine if I always talked this way? You'd have my head on a pike! I'll stop now.

OK, one more, just for the halibut, but then no mor,ay? Because I'm concerned about how bad some of these must have smelt.

That was three. I'm done now. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by kerry View Post
    If you ever do, I know we'll have someone there with real sole. (Speaking of which: you're not musical too, are you? Our Stories Forum band could use a bass player. Our current guy is so out of tuna that I...well, I don't want to carp about that.) Anyway, I'll climb down from my perch and just say welcome. Saury about all of the puns. Kanyu imagine if I always talked this way? You'd have my head on a pike! I'll stop now.

OK, one more, just for the halibut, but then no mor,ay? Because I'm concerned about how bad some of these must have smelt.

That was three. I'm done now. :-)
    Phew, we have reached the Point Nemo at which I slowly get stranded, because I'm lost in this ocean of words and can hardly come up with some freshly caught ones. Let's settle this bubbly conversation before I suffer shipwreck. About ship! Considering the (hopefully not fishy) offer for a musical post: I was able to play the trumpet-fish once, but haven't done so for some nautical days.

Well - I have reached the end of the shoreline... guess the tide is finally turning for me.