Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Man in Whelchair Trapped- People can Suck Sometimes

Wink Man in Whelchair Trapped- People can Suck Sometimes

I was out on my run yesterday afternoon, and since it was such a beautiful day, I decided to do a few extra miles. I went around the lake and went into the arboretum which was a heavily wooded area. There's not much people traffic along there but you get to see a little wildlife like raccoons and blue herons.

Anyway, as I was running I heard a faint cry calling 'help.' I looked around and could make out the image of a man behind some dense bushes. 'I'm stuck, I can't get out,' he cried. He sounded scared. I had to stop and work my way around the other side of the bushes where he entered. I saw that he was a senior man, about seventy years old, with his wheelchair stuck in the ground.

It was a very heavy electric wheelchair and the man himself was a heavyset person. I'm not a very big person or particularly strong, so my attempts to push him out or lift the wheelchair to get some traction were pretty pathetic failures. I felt like a ninety pound weakling being unable to move it and hoped someone would come by to help us.

He suggested putting one of the branches under the wheels to get some traction but that didn't work either. The back wheels were firmly entrenched in thick, dense earth and clay. I eventually got down on my hands and knees and began digging away at all the wet clay. I discovered there were also some thick roots entwined around the back wheels so I had to get them unentwined or ripped away as well. I was covered with dirt and clay but I managed to get the wheels aligned and pointing in the same direction. It looked like it worked. I suggested we go forward instead of the way he entered and cleared away some branches so he could exit and come onto the asphalt path on which I was running. We cleared it and he was safe again. I suggested to him that he carry a cellphone with him in the future in case anything were to ever happen again.

So why does the title of this thread say People Can Suck Sometimes? Well, the man had been trapped there for close to four hours. In that time the man said about eight ot nine people had gone by and he cried out to every one of them to help him, but every single one of them just walked or ran by him without stopping to see what was wrong. After all those hours he was getting terrified because there weren't a lot of people that use that area and every single person who had passed through it had ignored his cries for help. I couldn't help but wonder what would have happened if he had gotten trapped later in the day when night was falling and people would not pass through the area at all for the lack of lighting, followed by another day of rain today which means even fewer people would be out walking or running in that area. This could have been so much worse.

Very disappointing.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 04-Jun-2017 at 17:36.

My question is, how did he get himself into the situation in the first place?

Electric wheelchairs are not really Well-known for their off road capabilities. Glad hes OK and all-but it begs the question what was going through his mind while he was going back there?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

More then that why did not some one call 911if they did not want to help.

Quote Originally Posted by foxkits View Post
    This one can be a number of reasons especially liability. 911 can be a very expensive phone number

Quote Originally Posted by w0lfpack91 View Post
    My question is, how did he get himself into the situation in the first place?

Electric wheelchairs are not really Well-known for their off road capabilities. Glad hes OK and all-but it begs the question what was going through his mind while he was going back there?

He seemed to be travelling along the dirt paths around the Arboretum and was trying to work his way towards the asphalt path on which I was running. It obviously didn't work. I've seen a number of people using manual and electric wheelchairs along the canal and arboretum area and the pathways don't seem to present a problem, especially the asphalt pathways, but it seemed risky going out onto the dirt pathways in an isolated area. I think he went off the dirt path and attempted a shortcut to get onto the main asphalt path, but it didn't work out.

I can only speculate on this, but if it was people running, then they probably wouldn't carry their cellphone with them while running. I don't carry mine.
    Last edited by Starrunner; 04-Jun-2017 at 17:17.

I always take my phone with me, always. With the world we live in, I want to be able to call 911 when needed

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Starrunner View Post
    He seemed to be travelling along the dirt paths around the Arboretum and was trying to work his way towards the asphalt path on which I was running. It obviously didn't work. I've seen a number of people using manual and electric wheelchairs along the canal and arboretum area and the pathways don't seem to present a problem, especially the asphalt pathways, but it seemed to risky going out onto the dirt pathways in an isolated area. I think he went off the dirt path and attempted a shortcut to get onto the main asphalt path, but it didn't work out.

I can only speculate on this, but if it was people running, then they probably wouldn't carry their cellphone with them while running. I don't carry mine.
    My complaint is 4 hours no wrong .
    Once I was told to leave a person at the airport we could not take her.
    So when I got off work I drove a truck to pick her wheelchair and her up. It an 12 hour day for me.
    Saddly every one just wanted her off there hands.
    This happens​ all to much for the handicapped.
    Sad

My complaint is 4 hours no wrong .
    Once I was told to leave a person at the airport we could not take her.
    So when I got off work I drove a truck to pick her wheelchair and her up. It an 12 hour day for me.
    Saddly every one just wanted her off there hands.
    This happens​ all to much for the handicapped.
    Sad
    Yeah, for me it wasn't even so much the fact that neither he nor I had a cellphone with us, it was the fact that no one stopped to help him after he called out for help. He probably got himself into a situation he shouldn't have by going off the paths the way he did, but it doesn't justify people ignoring a cry for help.

That is sad indeed. What sort of world is this we live in now? People just seem stuck to their phones and internet social nonsense to ever be bothered by real world needs. Good work though Star.

Yeah excellent helping someone out like that.

just remember mind your surroundings you never know if you are walking into a trap as crazy as that sounds it does happen.

just think of why people don't pick up hitchhikers no more the dangers are out there just be mindful.

but it is a very good thing you did to help him.