Any car lovers that are well knowledgeable I need some advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lilmssammietx

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Sissy
Hey yall Im looking at getting a new car here soon that I want to know if what it may cost to get the car to what I want. The car is a 94 mustang gt with an auto transport. I want to put a supercharged 351w motor in the car with either a beefed up auto tran or a 6speed manual l. How much should I put away to do this build or should I just work with the stock 5.0. Thank you in advance I figured I could use this forum as well as car dedicated forum.

Why not get the car then build the motor/ trans to swap in .
One part at a time.

foxkits said:
Why not get the car then build the motor/ trans to swap in .
One part at a time.
I want to have everything I need so that when I'm home from work I can get stuff done so like I'll buy everything I need one weekend when I'm home and send it off to get built then put it in the car when I get back home and get the car tuned while I'm away then have it ready after three weekends home

My guess is you're looking at around $4-$5k to just do the build. But to do it right, you're gonna want to beef up the suspension as well as the brakes, steering etc. In total, I'd plan for around $8-$10k in parts alone.
Of course, you could always buy a broken down f150 or f250 with the 351w and rebuild it and that would bring your price down by quite a bit.
I am in no way a pro or anything, I took all this info from a buddy of mine who built a thunderbird a couple years ago

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk

Chanch0 said:
My guess is you're looking at around $4-$5k to just do the build. But to do it right, you're gonna want to beef up the suspension as well as the brakes, steering etc. In total, I'd plan for around $8-$10k in parts alone.
Of course, you could always buy a broken down f150 or f250 with the 351w and rebuild it and that would bring your price down by quite a bit.
I am in no way a pro or anything, I took all this info from a buddy of mine who built a thunderbird a couple years ago

Sent from my 2PYB2 using Tapatalk
ok that makes sense

If you're greatly increasing the HP, you should buy a beefed up drive shaft and you'll need to rebuild the rear end housing, beefing that up as well. It's not hard to twist a drive shaft or dx a rear end housing. I would add a few more thousand.

To get the best experience with a fast car, I'd put a manual transmission only because it gives you more control and a lot more fun to drive.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

MeTaLMaNN1983 said:
To get the best experience with a fast car, I'd put a manual transmission only because it gives you more control and a lot more fun to drive.

Do you have any advise on what trans to use my goal is 700-800hp?

http://www.americanmuscle.com/mustang-transmission-parts-9498.html

This would be a place to look at to get an idea for a transmission and other performance parts. You might be able to better insight on costs as well and decide what kind off work you really want to do on it. The site will help you with parts and what you need to go with them

Lilmssammietx said:
Do you have any advise on what trans to use my goal is 700-800hp?
Anything over 600hp Automatic only. The standard T5 manual that came with those cars can't even stand to a stock 80's 351W under full power. If you want to go 6 speed probably better to do a Coyote swap from the new mustang. Even then at 700hp-800hp any misuse of the clutch will snap axles, explode bellhousings, explode clutches, driveshafts, and possibly grenading the trans.

In 94 the Mustang did not come with a 5.0 v8 it's actually the 4.6L V8 (289ci) which is a decent engine if a bit Ball-less. If you want to do a 5.0 swap remember the 5.0 302 blocks are prone to splitting in half after about 400HP area. Honestly it stick with the 4.6 and put a procharger kit and a programmable ECU with some 4.11 gearing and a shift kit in the auto trans with either a B&M or Hurst ratcheting slap shifter. Would make a gnarly little street car.

*correction apparently 94 did have a 5.0L as I just figured they dropped it in 95 for the 4.6L even still the 5.0L but even still a replace 4.6 with 5.0 and my advice still stands.

Last edited:
I don't mean to rain on the parade so to speak but there really is no use for a 700hp-800hp car. Even in the pro drag racing brackets most cars run between 500-600 until you get into dedicated gassers, alcohol, or top fuel. You will never be able to use it on the street and with the amount of Cam degree you would need your stall would be insanely high and (if manual) clutches would burn in a week. Tires would be an issue anything less than DOT drag radials.

Unless it's a dedicated track only car best to stay moderate Horse power with lower gearing, it will still be competitive in street or foot brake class drags, won't break as many parts, easier to adapt if need be, and economy would be slightly better.

Take the extra money you were going to use and go cruising. Or spend in tuning and nitrous if you want temp boosts.

w0lfpack91 said:
I don't mean to rain on the parade so to speak but there really is no use for a 700hp-800hp car. Even in the pro drag racing brackets most cars run between 500-600 until you get into dedicated gassers, alcohol, or top fuel. You will never be able to use it on the street and with the amount of Cam degree you would need your stall would be insanely high and (if manual) clutches would burn in a week. Tires would be an issue anything less than DOT drag radials.

Unless it's a dedicated track only car best to stay moderate Horse power with lower gearing, it will still be competitive in street or foot brake class drags, won't break as many parts, easier to adapt if need be, and economy would be slightly better.

Take the extra money you were going to use and go cruising. Or spend in tuning and nitrous if you want temp boosts.

I know you know your stuff, and impressive, if I do say so myself. I agree about the horsepower limitation except that now, Chevy has a Camaro Z with 700 hp and Dodge has the new Demon with 840 hp. I'm not sure how you keep them on the road, and yeah, unless you go to the track, where are you going to open them up.

When I had my 340 Duster which was built, I was hitting 130 mph at the end of the quarter mile. What would one be hitting with 840 hp?!!!!!!

dogboy said:
I know you know your stuff, and impressive, if I do say so myself. I agree about the horsepower limitation except that now, Chevy has a Camaro Z with 700 hp and Dodge has the new Demon with 840 hp. I'm not sure how you keep them on the road, and yeah, unless you go to the track, where are you going to open them up.

When I had my 340 Duster which was built, I was hitting 130 mph at the end of the quarter mile. What would one be hitting with 840 hp?!!!!!!
But those are also highly specialized limited production models. The demon is even too fast for the NHRA in its current configuration, it's banned unless you install a full cage. Neither were meant to be street cars. Even the Hellcat with 707HP in standard non-performance mode is limited to around 550HP untill you use the "red key" . I'm not denying that there's cars out there that can meet or exceed OP's goal and handle it but they are not really designed with streetabillity in mind And there's literally nowhere you can actually stretch them to their limits. It's all a matter of money and everything is possible if a wallet is deep enough.

@ 840HP the biggest issue to overcome would be traction. Even drag slicks can be broke free in the 500hp range 800hp range would eat tires. Demon can put it down due to the all wheel drive and drag radials on all four corners.

w0lfpack91 said:
But those are also highly specialized limited production models. The demon is even too fast for the NHRA in its current configuration, it's banned unless you install a full cage. Neither were meant to be street cars. Even the Hellcat with 707HP in standard non-performance mode is limited to around 550HP untill you use the "red key" . I'm not denying that there's cars out there that can meet or exceed OP's goal and handle it but they are not really designed with streetabillity in mind And there's literally nowhere you can actually stretch them to their limits. It's all a matter of money and everything is possible if a wallet is deep enough.

@ 840HP the biggest issue to overcome would be traction. Even drag slicks can be broke free in the 500hp range 800hp range would eat tires. Demon can put it down due to the all wheel drive and drag radials on all four corners.

There's an interesting Motor Trend video review of both the Camero and the Ford Mustang Cobra. You can find it on You Tube. Both cars looked very streetable, but it is hard to imagine. I think you have to hold them back. Even with my Duster, if I pegged it on the street, I had to yank the steering to the left if I remember correctly, otherwise you'd just do donuts and of course there was the whole torque issue going on.

w0lfpack91 said:

The demon is rwd it uses a 325 drag radial to stay glued to the ground. The car Is planned to be a tx2k car which at that power level is "slow" as cars there are running

1300 to 2500 hp on the streets so it is possible I Know the issuse with the clutches though which Is why I was thinking about keeping it with an auto

Lilmssammietx said:
The demon is rwd it uses a 325 drag radial to stay glued to the ground. The car Is planned to be a tx2k car which at that power level is "slow" as cars there are running

1300 to 2500 hp on the streets so it is possible I Know the issuse with the clutches though which Is why I was thinking about keeping it with an auto
Never said it wasn't possible but you'd be looking at tens of thousands of dollars just getting the rest of the car up to par and most 1300-2500HP cars may be steerable but they are not drivers and most have some form of computer controlled power retarder to keep them mild mannered and above 2 miles per gallon fuel economy. Not to mention having to buy a new engine block and new heads. Ford's 302 W is known for splitting in half under high Horsepower and RPM. Mustang is unibody which means it twists under tourqe so MASSIVE body stiffening would need to be done the whole car would need to be stripped to a bare shell and built back up from there from damn near scratch. It would almost be cheaper just to buy a hellcat Then get a 94 Mustang up to 800 horsepower Reliably. You are looking at about a $20,000-$30,000 build in those HP ranges on that platform including shop time and labor charges on average with all the parts. Just take the cash and go get an old Body on frame car, unrestored gen 1 and 2 mustangs go pretty cheap and can be built to that level far cheaper.

I'm not saying it's not possible I'm just saying probably chose one of the worst platforms to do it on. I've got quite a bit experience building mustangs my advice is it's not worth the trouble of 800HP, they are fun little mild street cars and the foxbody is an amazing light body drag platform, but they are too malable and twist easily.

This is our main drag car it's a 351W stroked and bored to a 393Ci We've got over $30,000 in that car and it still breaks almost Every time we take it out it's only pushing 600HP these cars just don't hold power well. It's already starting to get to the point we may need to weld the doors up and pin the hatch because with the amount of torque it's got it's messing with the fitments.
4c2795790b4f240ab1bc57487d9c6a92.jpg
9b64dc171d6137341a7b2eadecb325c9.jpg
1efe4a7047d34ab5247c867a11ec0d6b.jpg
6ad6d8013795d6aa2ac64b91906140e2.jpg
9dc5ef5b6a14f0d6114bce0f3e413c2d.jpg

Haha...pulling the left front wheel up. Ah....I remember those days. Awesome!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back