Since I see this debate come up alot: Some professional opinions [not mine] on when childern should be potty trained

Status
Not open for further replies.

hex000f

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Babyfur
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/a...y-prodigies-shouldnt-attempted-age-three.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/steve-hodges-md/potty-training_b_1424826.html

I thought these articles do a good job explaining why its wrong to potty train too early for the sake of a child's long term well being. I feel that the child's well being is more important then any bias a parent might have about when to train. I've certainly seen biases both ways when I've read other threads on this.

As for what constitutes potty training too late. I don't have an article on that one but my uninformed opinion is that the absolute cutoff is when kids start kindergarten since those schools aren't equipped to handle changing diapers. Thus meaning that there is a time frame where it can be done without causing problems.

Good point, and I have to wonder if too early potty training has led to at least some of us becoming abdl (I suspect it may be true with me).

I would also add to do everything you can to encourage their potty training at the right age/time. This said, I also say never force or coerce them to train, even if after age 5 or in kindergarden.

Yeah, if bullying from other kids starts, then that will only add to their encouragement. If however, the kid even then still refuses to train, then that just shows how emotionally entrenched into diapers they are, and that removing diapers from them at that point could be even more harmful to them.

I don't remember potty training one bit, maybe that's why I'm ABDL I don't know, but for me I believe I won't start training until age 3 or so but I'm not sure

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We just had a long debate on this last week, I come off as being very biased as I was taken out of diapers too soon, I wet the bed and was never allowed diapers, even after stealing them from my brother I was still insulted by my bad and not allowed to wear them, I have always wondered if I was allowed to use them when I needed them that I would not have been a DL, that would not have prevent my current situation of IC though but at that time when I was a kid it would have been a lot less, we lived with my grandmother at that time and she threated one time to hang my wet sheets out side and tell my friends that I wet the bed, I am glad that type of thing is less of a problem these days but some parents are just overbearing, I know they mean the best for there kids but some stuff is just way to over blown, one of my good friends asked me about his 5 year old needing diapers at bed, they even woke him up a few times in the middle of the night, that is not the way to go, it's now seen as normal for kids to need them at night till about 10-12 years old and that's the advice I gave, don't know if he followed that or not, I also mentioned that if his kid hated diapers to then see a doctor, there is medication that can help but it works by slowing your kidneys down and to me that does not sound like a good idea.

Uninhibited voiding sounds blissful

Not too early not too late should be key.Everybody is different.I'm sure being potty trained before 2 because diapers are expensive was a big part diapers.
As an incontinent individual.I could easily wear pads but whaaaay prefer a diaper.That and it's unashamedly sexual too.

Has anyone done a survey about how early ABDLs were potty trained?

Many surveys have been done on this site, I think one or two have been done regarding this subject

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was potty trained at around 18 months probably way to early but my parents seemed to be the type of people to want me to grow up fast if that makes sense.

I wet the bed until I was 13 and I was threatened with diapers numerous times before I wore goodnites and sometimes while I was still wearing them. I instead wore goodnites from 8 until about 10. it boosted my confidence somewhat but I now wonder if I wore diapers at an earlier age would I have been drier at an earlier age then I was.

kerry said:
Has anyone done a survey about how early ABDLs were potty trained?

I've tossed together a survey inspired by this question.

I'm conducting a survey to see if we can make any correlations in data between your potty training years, sexuality and being an AB/DL now.

All feedback on the survey is welcome!

https://surveyplanet.com/592c5c7b2237ce4c3136c519

What if the kid was ready before three? Should the parents force them to stay in diapers and use them until they turn three?

Calico said:
What if the kid was ready before three? Should the parents force them to stay in diapers and use them until they turn three?

This is a response to the issues brought up in this thread, which features scientific studies about the dangers of too-early potty training. Three is a pretty arbitrary number, more of an average.

Slomo said:
Good point, and I have to wonder if too early potty training has led to at least some of us becoming abdl (I suspect it may be true with me).

I completely think that too. I was potty trained early, and with some other events and wetting the bed, I don't think it's entirely impossible that that could have contributed.

I guess I'm a bit different from all of you, because I had no problems with potty training at all and I trained at about 3. I think I'm a DL because, as a kid, I desperately needed to be diapered at night. But my parents couldn't really afford to do that, so it was crappy plastic sheets for me. Ugh...

Both my brothers were trained right before they turned three and they didn't grow up to have wetting problems. They only wet the bed when they were very young and then they grew out of it before kindergarten. That was because they were ready. Everything you read in Parenting will say wait until the child is ready and it will tell you the cues about how to tell if a kid is ready. Sometimes a kid shows signs of being ready but it doesn't mean they are because they have to understand how to use the toilet and make the connection and be aware of when they have to go and some say the kid has to be able to pull up their pants and pull them down. I don't consider a kid fully potty trained until they can go to the bathroom on their own without needing any assistance unless they have a disability that makes them need assistance.

Some kids may be quickly potty trained for no.1 but it takes a while for no.2. They know it is not the right place, but they keep asking for a diaper when they need to to, or do it in the morning in their nighttime diapers. Some have suggested that it is because of the privacy of being able to 'hide while they do their business', because they are not used to doing it while in a sitting position, and are unable to relax sufficiently, and also because they aren't simply motivated enough at the onset. There may also be a traumatic event such as constipation and related pains which kids associate with the toilet, hindering potty training.

Also, no.1s are a quick affair, while no.2s take longer time and for kids with short attention spans, it is not interesting. Importantly, diapers are comfy, they shield one's vulnerable regions. So rather than expose them when the little one is doing a very private deed, they'd rather be protected, and get a tender loving change, though that last one isn't always the case.

In my opinion, those who mess their diapers as ABDLs often experienced a somewhat humiliating experience when potty-training for no.2. Perhaps their parents kept making fun of them and their relatives teased and laughed at them, or they were teased in school. So the kid makes the switch unwillingly. Or they kept trying to hold it in until they reach home and one day, they have an accident. That embeds within them a desire to return to diapers one day.

so would you say about 3/4 YO?? this is what I would say is a good time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back