What's your occupation? :3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Retired military, US Air Force.

There was a time when I worked in the toy business, amusingly.

I'm a student. I started a podcast in 2009 and in 2013 my show was picked up by an online radio station. We received our second affiliate in 2016.

Student, but I'm currently working at our school's library for extra money. I'm studying to complete my master of divinity. Before this I taught English to middle and high schoolers. Whee!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Well am back in retail working that "grindstone" again. (of course I will not mention which chain for safety reasons)

I do import/ export.

Takashi said:
I'm a student. I started a podcast in 2009 and in 2013 my show was picked up by an online radio station. We received our second affiliate in 2016.

What is the podcast, if you don't mind?

Well, as of today, I can finally give an answer that isn't frustrated disgruntled unemployed job hunting man. Graphic Designer. :smile1:

AmiPanda said:
I taught English to middle and high schoolers. Whee!

"Yikes!" is more the word I would be looking for here. LOL

Nah, they bite and scratch a lot.

Job required rabies shots. :(

I'm a student, studying Computer Information Systems for my Major and a Music Minor. I would like to eventually do software development mainly and do some composing and music gigs on the side.

Have been: Concrete construction, waiter, line cook at an Irish pub, Thai restaurant, New American Cuisine place (classy as hell), high risk commodities trader, small business owner, research assistant in topology, nanotechnology, robotics and combinatorics, and am currently a quote-unquote "daytrader" specializing in forex, fintech, energy, biotech and defense and a bit of an poet/author in my spare time. (However, only been published four times, 2/4 was me getting a single poem in a fucking poetry collection. :\) Truth be told I've made 90% of my money from forex, fintech, and energy firms. Biotech is such a fucking crapshoot nowadays, I stopped fucking around in it because I kept losing all the money I made from forex and energy.

Protip: most of the dv in forex and energy are people looking to make a buck off quick alpha, generally the 6+ month outlook is weighted less than the outlook for the next week or month and thus undervalued. Investment grade currencies and large or diversified energy products are actually pretty stable (within a certain set of parameters) in the long run and trend towards the mean outside of atypical geopolitical/economic circumstances. Just don't kill your profit on put premiums and realize it takes balls of steel to hold pull off a successful short if you're operating in an overly exuberant market.

Last edited:
Sapphyre said:
Computer Scientist. Basically I write C code for a living. While I appreciate the intellectual challenges involved, in a larger sense my job is the soul-sucking type and I'm looking for something more meaningful.

I write C++/Java/C#/JavaScript for a consulting firm. I find the consulting part eliminates the boredom and exposes me to lots of different problem domains, each with their own approaches and challenges. I never stay at one place very long, which I like. My biggest problem is trying to convince clients to strive for more. Do better. So many just want to screw their customers and grab all the cash they can before someone realizes they're all talk and no substance. :(

- - - Updated - - -

Jeremiah said:
Retired military, US Air Force.

I tried to join as I worked for them as a civilian for 6 years. But I washed out of basic after a medical mishap that disqualified me for service. Was a preexisting condition that I didn't know I had and they didn't catch in MEPS.

Not sure if you'll see this. But do you mind me asking what firm? Im entering 5th year grad school to work in public accounting for PWC as a CPA in audit.

Also worked for a disputes and investigations firm.

I work as a freelancer :D

perlFerret said:
I write C++/Java/C#/JavaScript for a consulting firm. I find the consulting part eliminates the boredom and exposes me to lots of different problem domains, each with their own approaches and challenges. I never stay at one place very long, which I like. My biggest problem is trying to convince clients to strive for more. Do better. So many just want to screw their customers and grab all the cash they can before someone realizes they're all talk and no substance. :(

I also am a C#/JavaScript programmer for a consulting firm. My biggest issue now is dealing with my predecessor's (also a part of the firm) codebase which is a huge mess. Over-architected and poor performing... a confusing inconsistent mixture of patterns and anti-patterns... and, despite all of this being in .NET, he was just promoted to a "Java tech lead". Management loves him!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back