A warning for my little friends-baby food and iron overdose!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheRainbowPrincess

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Adult Baby
  2. Diaper Lover
  3. Little
  4. Incontinent
Like many of my little friends here, I enjoy little snacks. For me that includes teething biscuits, Gerber puffs, and other Gerber brand snacks. Lately, I have been experiencing sickness. Extreme fatigue, stomach pain, and vomiting. Appparently baby foods contain too much iron for us "big people" and I suffered an iron overdose! :(

I'm not saying stop enjoying your little favorites all together, but check which ones have high levels of iron and enjoy those in moderation. Just figured I'd put the word out there so nobody has to get sick like I am right now.

Have a good day my friends! :paci:

Too much iron for adults is good for babies? Gee, that's weird
How did you come to the conclusion that it's the iron?

I went to the doctor after over a week of this nonstop. I happened to bring a pack of puffs with me because ironically they're the only thing I was keeping down. The doctor pointed out to me how the package says "10 percent daily iron for babies, 15 percent daily iron for ages 1-4" apparently you need less as you get older, unless you have a deficiency. She told me to lay off the baby snacks (and the red meat for about a week or two until I feel better) and it should go away. :/

Yes, babies need more iron than adults do on the whole. Baby food and stuff is packed with it because it's made for actual babies. However that much iron can kill older children and adults unless you're deficient.

The only time I ate baby food was when I had all my teeth pulled. I never really got sick from eating it, but I guess it's because I didn't eat enough of it to cause me to get sick. I stopped eating it after my gums healed up and started eating more proper foods and what not. Anyway, hope you feel better. :/

Hmmm. Well, least now I know. Thanks for posting about it pgfdp and I hope you get feeling better soon

Wow. I didn't know that. Hope you feel better.

I bought a low iron formula to avoid that, but I had some other side effect that made me stop.

I don't know what the cause is, but my mind would be all foggy and my concentration and short term memory were severely diminished. It kinda felt like sinus pressure, but I could breathe fine.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

Baby formula and toddler formula can also contains lethal dose of iron for adults, beware of this if you love this kind of drink.

I wonder how awkward it was having to tell your doctor "I've been eating baby food"

The only actually baby treats I eat are the gerber yogurt drops and I keep a snack bag with one portion in my diaper bag. (I don't wear diapers, but I carry all of my little stuff with me in a diaper bag that kinda looks like a purse.)

Other than that if I really want baby food I try to make it myself, there are so many recipes on line and really all you need is one of those high powered blenders and the raw ingredients, I do it once a week or so and I have food for a while most of it freezes really well and you can have bigger tummy portions.

The only issue is for those that like formula. I don't really have a taste for taste substitute for that. I use a name brand breakfast re-placer for that, a full packet in 10 oz of milk for a meal and 1 tbs in 5 oz of milk for a snack it's thick and filling and meant for adults so no icky side effects. I even put the powder in a cute container (if you can get one I'm sure you could use an empty formula container and keep refilling it) just to give it that baby vibe!

I was eating like an entire BOX of puffs/cookies/teething biscuits in one sitting was my problem. I did NOT have moderation :( I have very little self control

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back