R.I.P. Nicky Hayden

Status
Not open for further replies.

DLC93

Est. Contributor
Role
  1. Diaper Lover
Decorated MotoGP racer and former MotoGP champion, Nicky Hayden, succumbed to his injuries yesterday stemming from a bicycle accident in Italy. The Kentucky product was 35.

Condolences go out to his family and friends.

Tragic that he died while cycling after a career of motogp. My wife and I used to be cyclists until she crashed to avoid a car, breaking her arm and shoulder. Every year several people in our town were killed on the road we normally used (it did have bike lanes). I think it's more dangerous to be cycling than to be on a motorcycle.

Spaz said:
Tragic that he died while cycling after a career of motogp. My wife and I used to be cyclists until she crashed to avoid a car, breaking her arm and shoulder. Every year several people in our town were killed on the road we normally used (it did have bike lanes). I think it's more dangerous to be cycling than to be on a motorcycle.

It could very well be. Maybe it's because bicycle riders are not exactly in the line of sight to the extent where people aren't really paying attention to activity in the bike lanes.

From police reports it seems that he was wearing a helmet, but was possibly distracted by his iPod and didn't see the car that was going through the intersection.

I think I read somewhere that described the accident as the car having a issue and Nicky not paying attention. Nicky may have well been distracted by a device or something.

Having had a few close calls with drivers going off the road is what makes me now ride only on our bike trail. Now I just have to contend with idiot walkers, especially the ones with a dog on a leash.

My son's very best friend was an avid bicyclist, even riding with the U. S. Olympic team. He was killed while riding his bike, by an old man on medication who left the road and nailed him while he wasn't even on the road. He was only 30. My son named his son, our grandson, after him. I used the same name in my novel as one of the main characters, the boy in the story. Losses like this hurt. In our case, that loss will last a lifetime.

dogboy said:
He was killed while riding his bike, by an old man on medication who left the road and nailed him while he wasn't even on the road.

This is sad and a major problem with retirees here in Florida. I can't count how many times I've seen an really old person driving in the bike lane.

Spaz said:
This is sad and a major problem with retirees here in Florida. I can't count how many times I've seen an really old person driving in the bike lane.

To make matters worse, Joe was like a second son. He was always over at our house, and sometimes slept over. He and I used to have some good and deep talks. He was an amazing young man. After he graduated from college, he became an English and drama teacher. He was going to be the heir apparent to head the drama department out our high school in Lynchburg where my kids attended. E. C. Glass H. S. has produced people like Connie Britain, Faith Prince, the guy who wrote "Brave Heart" and the dark haired girl in the TV show, "Two Broke Girls". There were over 1000 in attendance at his funeral.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back