PXE Booting.

Status
Not open for further replies.

LittleJess

Banned
This is aimed towards any network administrators, as your aware I myself am a network administrator, but I'm having a little hard time with PXE booting.

I'm using SERVA with Windows 10 on my laptop, trying to boot my a windows installer from my laptop, I've got the network share WIA_WDS shared as a share as WIA_WDS_SHARE.

I'm using a DHCP setup not using ProxyDCHP with a pool size of 5 and the subnet range is obviously /24

IP addresses start off with 169..... etc It doesn't matter too much, I'm 100% sure I've got that part right.

Problem is, it boots and network share loads etc, but I can't seem to login I've tried DOMAIN\user, but I keep getting error 0x35.

Did some digging, it could be a network cable issue, or a nic driver issue, the nic drives I've slipstreamed and do inject properly, I'm able to ping the laptop.

I've hacked together a crossover cable, could this be the issue?

I for the fucking life of me can't seem to work this out, windows server was easier to fucking setup ahaha. good ol' days.

I doubt it could be DHCP (I'm using a built in DHCP server obviously) I'm still scratching my head, I could always buy two network cables, connect both to the router and use the router as a DHCP server but that'll be too slow.

I think it might be my home-brew cross over cable, I sliced the plastic off, and "crossed over" the needed wires, could a shitty connection in the wiring cause a issue?

But it could be a share issue, or even a firewall issue, has anyone used Serva before?

While use there are otherwise of doing this but i don't feel like creating my own Windows PE environment etc, when this tool provides a bootable PXE environment for me.

LittleJess said:
Got it to work thanks :)

Oh -- nice one! Bonus geek points!

So... PXE booting is basically using a machine as a thin client, right?

tiny said:
Oh -- nice one! Bonus geek points!

So... PXE booting is basically using a machine as a thin client, right?

Yeah kind of, I just use it to boot windows installation media :p

Generally you use it to boot a windows image (installation)

LittleJess said:
Yeah kind of, I just use it to boot windows installation media :p

Generally you use it to boot a windows image (installation)

Ah, gotcha. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back