Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: How to deal with spiders in one's car?

  1. #1

    Default How to deal with spiders in one's car?

    It seems that around this apartment, at this time of year, there's an explosion of small brown spiders. Maybe about the size of a quarter. One night there were so many dangling on threads from the awning of my front door that there was basically no way to get in or out of the house without encountering them. Earlier today, I got in my car to take a (thankfully short) trip to the grocery store, and there were spider silk strands all over the interior. Across the dashboard, across the passenger window, etc. One of the spiders crawled up on the dashboard before I got the car moving, and I smashed it... but I doubt it'll be the only one.

    The problem with this is that I'm severely arachnophobic. The spiders are in all probability a perfectly harmless species (they're not brown recluse, I know how to identify those)... but if one of them crops up while I'm driving I very well might freak out and cause an accident. So they need to go.

    I'm thinking the best strategy is to park out in a very sunny spot tomorrow, as the weather is supposed to be warm and clear, and hope that they roast in the heat.

    Any other suggestions? o.o; Has anyone else had an issue like this before?

  2. #2

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Sapphyre View Post
    It seems that around this apartment, at this time of year, there's an explosion of small brown spiders. Maybe about the size of a quarter. One night there were so many dangling on threads from the awning of my front door that there was basically no way to get in or out of the house without encountering them. Earlier today, I got in my car to take a (thankfully short) trip to the grocery store, and there were spider silk strands all over the interior. Across the dashboard, across the passenger window, etc. One of the spiders crawled up on the dashboard before I got the car moving, and I smashed it... but I doubt it'll be the only one.

    The problem with this is that I'm severely arachnophobic. The spiders are in all probability a perfectly harmless species (they're not brown recluse, I know how to identify those)... but if one of them crops up while I'm driving I very well might freak out and cause an accident. So they need to go.

    I'm thinking the best strategy is to park out in a very sunny spot tomorrow, as the weather is supposed to be warm and clear, and hope that they roast in the heat.

    Any other suggestions? o.o; Has anyone else had an issue like this before?
    Abandon the car, and dump it into a river, jokes aside you could use fly spray or pesticide.

    Some fly sprays are designed to kill spiders, just don't use too much that you pass out the next day lol.

  3. #3

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Binary View Post
    Abandon the car, and dump it into a river, jokes aside you could use fly spray or pesticide.
    Pesticide is very risky. I'm allergic to many, in fact I have to carry an Epi-Pen in case I accidentally eat a salad or something else raw that isn't organic. I've had anaphylactic reactions to store-bought spinach salad, for example (and I eat cooked spinach all the time, plus organic spinach salads... it's the pesticide that causes the reaction). So, that COULD render my car completely unusable to me, if what I use happens to be something I react to. o.o;

  4. #4

    Default

    There's some smells which spiders don't like, but I can't remember what; you could also try parking your car nearby a light source, but not too close, to tempt the spiders out to better [night timely lit] hunting grounds. And with the latter, you should find that 'your' spiders will also be whittled away by other spiders.

  5. #5

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by ade View Post
    There's some smells which spiders don't like, but I can't remember what; you could also try parking your car nearby a light source, but not too close, to tempt the spiders out to better [night timely lit] hunting grounds. And with the latter, you should find that 'your' spiders will also be whittled away by other spiders.
    Mint. Most bugs can't stand mint.

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

  6. #6

  7. #7

    Default

    Moth balls but just a few they hate the smell under the seat like 2 or 3

  8. #8

    Default

    I know pennyroyal will keep most bugs away. You can probably find pennyroyal oil. It has a somewhat minty aroma. But on a related note, yellowjackets don't like the smell of dryer sheets. My home has wooden shake siding and those buggers love building nests underneath them. So I shoved some dryer sheets under random shakes to drive them away. Might work in a vehicle too. Nobody needs a yellowjacket hovering in the air while you're trying to drive! That happened to me last week!

  9. #9

    Default

    How are they getting into the car? Do you leave the windows open? They shouldn't be in your car if it's shut properly. I like spiders, but I do get creeped out by the larger ones. I simply remove the webs with a broom. Do that for a week and they will get deterred and move on. On the positive side, I usually like having most species around because they eat so many insects. I have many times cleaned up their refuse (dead insect carcasses) and let them live in corners of our house. Or, I'll catch them in a jar when they get too big and boot them out.

  10. #10

    Default



    Quote Originally Posted by Spaz View Post
    How are they getting into the car? Do you leave the windows open? They shouldn't be in your car if it's shut properly. I like spiders, but I do get creeped out by the larger ones. I simply remove the webs with a broom. Do that for a week and they will get deterred and move on. On the positive side, I usually like having most species around because they eat so many insects. I have many times cleaned up their refuse (dead insect carcasses) and let them live in corners of our house. Or, I'll catch them in a jar when they get too big and boot them out.
    Vehicles are not air tight. Usually crawl through the air vents in the dash

    Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Similar Threads

  1. Does anyone else have to deal with this?
    By DareYouToMove in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 12-Oct-2013, 09:35
  2. i really hate spiders (abdl related)
    By tennismad in forum Adult Babies & Littles
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 24-Sep-2013, 01:14
  3. How I deal...
    By UNKNOW in forum Diaper Talk
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 27-Jul-2012, 09:43
  4. Spiders!
    By FauxPas in forum Off-topic
    Replies: 22
    Last Post: 20-Jun-2012, 03:25

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
ADISC.org - the Adult Baby / Diaper Lover / Incontinence Support Community.
ADISC.org is designed to be viewed in Firefox, with a resolution of at least 1280 x 1024.