A question regarding footie pajamas

Status
Not open for further replies.

Orange

Est. Contributor
Why do footed sleepers in kids' sizes all have zippers that reach all the way to the ankle, but adult sizes only have a zipper that goes to the waist?

good question i wish i had the answer

Good question; not quite sure of that one. I know off hand BabyPants has AB footed sleepers with the zipper running down to the ankle, though.

Marka said:
Because, they're not expecting the adults in them - to get their nappies/diapers changed... that's (as I understand it) why the kids/toddlers and, infants, footed sleepers; unzip all the way down to the ankle...
-Marka

Hm. That makes sense and I haven't been able to come up with a better explanation.

I guess the only question I have is why do the ones for older kids have the same kind of zipper? Even most sleepers I've seen that start at kids size 8 and go to size 12, 14 or even 16 still have it. (But then for girls at least they'll have the same sizes of garment in the junior section with a zipper that goes down to the waist?)

Maybe it's something that's kept in the design because something like that doesn't matter to the people who won't know what it's for or use it, but its helpful enough for the people who take advantage of it that they keep it in? I'd guess that out of any general style of kids pajamas that sleepers have the highest percentage of people wearing them with diapers, maybe whatever that percentage is at the kid's level is high enough to be considered in the design process, especially in regard to an otherwise harmless detail, but not at the adult level. I'm not sure. :S

Easy. The larger opening zipper to bottom of leg is easier for parents to put on small children..... older children dress themselfs

robertabdl74 said:
Easy. The larger opening zipper to bottom of leg is easier for parents to put on small children..... older children dress themselfs

Well, whether its to facilitate diaper changes or being dressed by a caretaker, why have a neck to ankle zipper on sleepers for older children, only a minority of whom would get any added utility from it?

Thinking about it a bit, a zipper to the ankle wouldn't only make be helpful to a caretaker, it would also make changing one's own diaper easier, which would make sense for older children, as I doubt very many of them would still have someone else change them. While it would be quite helpful in that case, I'm sure most people buying larger children's sleepers wouldn't use it for that purpose, so why spend extra money on materials to cater your design to people in such a relatively uncommon situation?

ClandestineWing said:
Good question; not quite sure of that one. I know off hand BabyPants has AB footed sleepers with the zipper running down to the ankle, though.

Interesting, that fact lends credence to the idea that the longer zipper may be, at least partially, designed with an eye towards diapers/bedwetting.

That's a good question. I'm wearing footie PJ's right now that have the zipper all the way to the ankle. I have two pairs like that, and two pairs with the waist-length zipper. They're all the same size (girls' age 11), and I have no explanation as to why they're different.

I did a bit of research myself. While robertabdl74's claim is pretty hard to test, Marka's shouldn't be. If the ankle zipper is really designed diapers in mind, pjs with a neck to ankle zipper should have more space in the waist/crotch area than ones with a neck to waist zipper. Now I don't have many (read: two) pairs of footies for adults, but I've got several in kids sizes that fit so I decided to test this out. I found that footies in kids sizes do almost always have a lower and wider crotch than adult sizes proportionally speaking. While this is far from conclusive, especially as I only have two adult, neck to waist zipper sleepers to compare them to, it does lend support to the idea that kids sizes of footed sleepers, even for larger sizes, are often designed to be at least somewhat "diaper-friendly," barring a better explanation.

If anyone else has noticed the same thing, or indeed, found that the opposite is true, you're welcome to chime in! More data can only lead to a more accurate conclusion. :D

Wuggle said:
That's a good question. I'm wearing footie PJ's right now that have the zipper all the way to the ankle. I have two pairs like that, and two pairs with the waist-length zipper. They're all the same size (girls' age 11), and I have no explanation as to why they're different.

If the ones that zip to the ankle fit a diaper under them better than the ones that zip to the waist, you can probably assume that the one manufacturer planned for their product to be occasionally worn with diapers, while the other did not.

If anyone knows any brand that produce adult sized sleepers with neck to ankle zipper and a snap over the zipper at the neck, I would order them I know baby-pants does them, but is there any other company that would make them for cheaper price than some of the custom ones we can order and cost more than 150$. I would dream of getting a sleeper that would be an exact copy of the ones I see on toddlers theses days...

CodyBaby, you will be able to find what you are looking for here. I have bought from this company and can very much recommend their products. You can chose all sorts of options, left leg zip , right leg zip, double zip, rear zip, buttons or pop studs.
You can also choose hood, hands, feet etc.

http://www.donann.co.uk/menswomensclothing.php

sissybaby34 said:
CodyBaby, you will be able to find what you are looking for here. I have bought from this company and can very much recommend their products. You can chose all sorts of options, left leg zip , right leg zip, double zip, rear zip, buttons or pop studs.
You can also choose hood, hands, feet etc.

http://www.donann.co.uk/menswomensclothing.php

Problem, I'm in Canada, exchanges rates between GBP and CAD are sky rocket, and shipping would cost me an arm and a leg...

I've checked with Donann, and as far as I can tell, they also don't ship to any where in North America:/

FeliDaKitten said:
I've checked with Donann, and as far as I can tell, they also don't ship to any where in North America:/

Yup, noticed this also when I wanted to check the shipping cost.

There used to be a company called KozyKomfy that made them. Exact toddler replicas. I was fortunate enough to get like 4 of them before they went under. Haven't seen anything close since.

I think that many of kids/teen/young adult sleepers just keep the long zipper available for people with special needs etc. Land's End makes them up to size 20 (neck to ankle zipper).

Zebben said:
I think that many of kids/teen/young adult sleepers just keep the long zipper available for people with special needs etc. Land's End makes them up to size 20 (neck to ankle zipper).

It's also probably easier within a certain range to stick to one pattern. If you've got an industrial sewing machine working off a pattern, you can mess with the size settings more easily than setting it up to do a different pattern that requires stitching in entirely different spots. The adult stuff is mostly being produced on a totally different pattern (or by totally different companies) anyway, so they'd be in a position to make a different zipper design decision, whereas a company making a particular kids zip pajama design is probably going to just stick with that one design through their size range.

Also, for the main question, i definitely do think that the zip down to the ankle is for easier diaper changes and dressing/undressing by a caregiver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back