Thread: Changing jobs (Suggestions?)

Default Changing jobs (Suggestions?)

I've always had an extreme fear of change in general, it doesnt matter what it is. Change scares the living shit out of me and thinking about it gives me severe anxiety, sometimes even anxiety/panick attacks. Fear of change has effected me in many aspects of my life. A big one being having a relationship.

Fast foward a little bit. I've been in the the hospitality industry for 4 years now working the front desk at a hotel. I know this isnt the place im ment to be, in fact i hate it most days. I've noticed my anxiety has gotten much worse over the last year.

There as been alot of change in my life in this last year. My mom sold the house i spent most of my life in, thus finally at 25 having to find my own place. End up getting my first place with a co-worker. (All very new to me, and feeling like i was ripped from the one place i felt safe and secure) I also got my first ticket and got into my first car accident. ( a very grueling/anxiety filled part of adulting i hope i dont have to deal with again.) Now im dealing with the process of knowing i need to change jobs. Its time and ive held off on it for too long.

Changing jobs though litterly terrifies me though. Thats why ive stuck with a job i hate for 4 years and 2 years at the job before that. Because i know this job and i feel secure in it. I want to try something new but fear keeps me put.

Just feeling a bit lost. Just looking for direction and suggestions on dealing with change as well as suggestions for getting over the fear of changing jobs.

have your therapist give prescription for alprazolam or clonazepam as are great for life panic, generalized anxiety, phobias, social anxiety and OCD.

Sent from my SM-P555Y using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bunnyhabit View Post
    have your therapist give prescription for alprazolam or clonazepam as are great for life panic, generalized anxiety, phobias, social anxiety and OCD.

Sent from my SM-P555Y using Tapatalk
    I appreciate the response bunnyhabit but I would have long ago if that was an option. I havent been to therapy or on meds since i turned 18. No insurance and cant really afford therapy. I barely get by with a roommate.

I am not a medical professional.

Medication is completely inappropriate in this situation to me, however.

Medication in this situation would only cloud one's will to be brave and face the uncertainties of life. Medication in this scenario would only act as a rug to cover the problem up with.

My advice is to begin to look for a job now, it may be exhausting to do this while maintaining your current job, however you will feel less pressured to conform to a time limit. I cannot stress enough what a huge mistake it is, to let this get to the point where you "rage quit" or "impulse quit" out of frustration with nothing to fall back on.

Start looking, take it slow. maybe once you begin your search and see some of your options you might feel a bit better.

I hope everything goes smoothly for you, do not let 4 years turn into 6.

The first step is to make sure your CV is up-to-date so you can send it to prospective employers.

What kind of work are you looking for? Another front-desk job somewhere better? Customer-facing? Office-based? Something you could train for? Or is there an industry you'd like to work in that might have some entry-level jobs where you could progress and train for something more interesting...?

Or maybe you could get a qualification by studying online while you're in your current job...?

If you hated your past two jobs, what job would make you happy? Figure out what makes you happy, focus on that and develop those skills. Of course, any new job will have its challenges, but to me, those challenges keeps me from hating that job.

You're at the age where you have time to decide. Also, employers know this and will take time to train you.

There are many things to consider when looking for a new job.

First, what would you like to do? Do you enjoy interfacing with customers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Find something that isn't work. As the saying goes, "if you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life."

Second, you need a livable wage. This depends on where you live. But you need to be able to afford your entire rent by yourself. Legally, you are responsible for the entire rent. You also need to be able to afford food and gas and those kinds of necessities. Ideally, your rent should make up no more than one third of your income. Half if need be, or when you account for the entire rent.

Don't accept a job where you can't make a livable wage. Ask for what you deserve. I recommend going on Glassdoor and doing their how much are you worth quiz. It will give you an idea of what you should expect to be paid, based on your training and experience.

Third, and I've made this mistake, don't jump into something new because it seems so much better than where you are now. I went from an hourly position to a commissioned position and the variability of the paychecks was more stressful than anything for me.

As far as the anxiety that comes with change, I completely understand that. I am the same way. Even starting a new year in school was difficult for me as a child.

You definitely need to look into getting some help with therapy. There are free clinics that do that kind of thing in most places, you just have to look for them.

You can also try some meditation or visualization apps for your phone. My therapist actually recommended that to me today.

Depending on what is available or legal in your area, you could try to look into using CBD oil. It is made from a cannabis plant but it does not have any THC in it. So it does not have any psychoactive compounds, so you won't get high. You can get the oil from vape shops. You can either do one drop under your tongue or mix it with a vape juice if you want to vape it.

This is completely legal where I live, but you should make sure you check out your local laws regarding vaping. It is also worth noting that if you have to do a drug test for a new job that they only test for THC, so as long as you get an oil that has no THC in it, you will not test positive on a drug test.

Please let me know if you have any questions about anything. Either here or in pm if you would prefer.

Also I apologize for the broken post, I might have hit the wrong button.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Perhaps look for a job that offers hospitalization insurance. I worked 12 years as a teacher assistant, mostly for the health care. I had another part time job that paid more than the teaching job. That says a lot about how little we value education in the U. S.

I'm a strong believer in 2 year community colleges. If there is something you'd really like to do in terms of employment but don't have the necessary skills, you might consider a community college and get an associates degree in that field. Community colleges are usually very affordable.