Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Possible new scam?

Default Possible new scam?

3 times this morning I got calls on my cell phone following roughly the same format. The caller, with a lot of background noise suggestive of a 3rd world boilerroom call center, ask for some name I don't recognize:

Maxx: Hello

Habib: Is "Esther" there? <different name each time>

Maxx: I'm afraid you have a wrong number

Habib: Is this "XXX-YYY-ZZZZ"? <different number each time, none of them mine>

Maxx: Not even close.

I get occasional legitimate wrong number calls, but 3 times in a couple of hours seemed odd, along with the fact that they asked for a different person each time. That would also seem to rule out collection agencies or skip tracers. Couldn't tell if the caller was the same or not due to the background noise level. Heavy accent in all three cases.

Perhaps they were phishing for my actual name and phone number? I can't think what else they would be after, although even that is of questionable value.

I'm probably just anti social but i almost never pick up a number I don't know. I know the usual area codes I might know but if I don't I usually never answer.

Yeah, I think they were phishing for your name and number, but I have no idea what they would do with that other than to sell it to telemarketers. I get constant phone calls from India with some jerk who insists his name is Bob, telling me I have viruses on my Windows. I was so delighted when I read that India was especially hard hit by the Wannacry virus. If any country deserves it, it's India where a lot of these scams originate.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog55 View Post
    I'm probably just anti social but i almost never pick up a number I don't know. I know the usual area codes I might know but if I don't I usually never answer.
    Same here... I only rarely answer numbers I don't recognize. Usually, if I don't know the number, then I don't answer.

Worried about phone scams? Do these two things. 1. Go to white pages dot Com and download the app. You can then pull up the app when needed, input the number, and it will tell you if the area code is legitimate and what it found about the number. If it is a known scam it will tell tell you. In your contacts list, block future calls from that number. 2. If you don't recognize the number, don't answer it, then follow No. 1, above.

Quote Originally Posted by Hotdog55 View Post
    Me neither. I don't even need to look at the screen. People I know have their own ringtones. If its the generic ring, its somebody I don't know, or Habib, or Rachel from Cardholder services, or Bob from Windows. I happened to be at my computer and the phone was sitting on the desk in front of me. Call it curiosity.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by blondiewoof View Post
    Worried about phone scams? Do these two things. 1. Go to white pages dot Com and download the app. You can then pull up the app when needed, input the number, and it will tell you if the area code is legitimate and what it found about the number. If it is a known scam it will tell tell you. In your contacts list, block future calls from that number. 2. If you don't recognize the number, don't answer it, then follow No. 1, above.
    That might be handy, except I'm not worried about phone scams, just annoyed. Can't go there anyway because I have an ancient, mildly retarded (as opposed to smart), coal powered pay-as-you-go phone.
    Last edited by Maxx; 16-May-2017 at 13:07.

Around my neck of the woods scammers will get ahold of an unused local phone number and start using to call other local numbers, They start the conversation off by saying you have one an all expense paid trip, or you will receive an astronomical amount of money, all they need is your personal information. All of this is done with mobile numbers not landlines.

One of the scams is to record you saying "yes" then use that as "proof" that you ordered something and bill you.

Phishing Attempt I would assume?

They probably want you to correct them so they can write down your real name and number, so then they could use your number for whatever purpose that suits them, which is kind of odd? but whatever

I did answer one number I didn't know today. It seemed like a local cell phone... and I just woke up from a nap... so I answered it, just in case. He sounded like a hillbilly or something.... I could barely understand him. But I know he said something like "this always happens", as if he always dials wrong numbers.