Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Religious Propaganda

Default Religious Propaganda

I saw a stupid Jehovah witness pamphlet about the recent conflict with Russia, USA and NK It's quite hilarious because there solution is.

"THE BIBLE"

I didn't pay too much attention to it, but it went on about "how it's a sign of the second coming of Jesus" etc.

As a agnostic, I find this hilarious, and can see right through this, It's propaganda targeting the emotions people are scared, so they make a stupid pamphlet "exploiting peoples emotions,

I should clarify, It's not just religions that do this, Governments have a habit of doing this, ie Nazi Germany in world war two etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Binary View Post
    I saw a stupid Jehovah witness pamphlet about the recent conflict with Russia, USA and NK It's quite hilarious because there solution is.

"THE BIBLE"

I didn't pay too much attention to it, but it went on about "how it's a sign of the second coming of Jesus" etc.

As a agnostic, I find this hilarious, and can see right through this, It's propaganda targeting the emotions people are scared, so they make a stupid pamphlet "exploiting peoples emotions,

The irony of this, is that the person who left the pamphlet, at one time in their life, most likely was afraid and found comfort in the very religion that they are attempting to share.

so...Is it the idea of people taking comfort in something that you cannot that bothers you?

Or the idea that other people are more "gullible" then you, and its enjoyable to imagine a sense of self-assured superiority?

I guess what I am trying to say is, that under the pre-text that these pamphlets are left as negative incentives towards some insidious form of brain washing, it's showing a pretty jaded and self-assuming view of how the world functions.

As opposed to viewing the act as nothing more then every other religion does, in that it offers hope through their doctrine, and attempts to perpetuate itself through new followers.
    Last edited by MommyandMattling; 15-May-2017 at 13:48.

I've had Jehovah's Witnesses come to my door a few times before, and leave me a copy of Watchtower. They haven't convinced me to join in their religion of course, but as a rule I always talk with them and try to understand their viewpoint. I think, by and large, they are trying to help and create positive change in the world in the only way they know how. So, while I completely disagree with their theological viewpoint, I think it's important to respect the fact that these beliefs matter deeply to them, and that their intentions are good, and because of that I won't just shut my door in their face. That would make me an assmunch, in my estimation. I don't have all the answers to Life, The Universe, and Everything, and frankly neither do they (so far as I can tell). They took the time to stop over and discuss it with me; I'll at least entertain and discuss their ideas. To me that's just common decency. o.o

Jehovah's Witnesses have very, very strange beliefs and interpretations of the bible. When my brother moved out west many years ago, he met a woman who was a Jehovah's Witness so he converted and he married her. That was thirty years ago. I don't see them very much because JW's don't celebrate holidays like Christmas, Easter, or birthdays so they are always absent at family get-togethers. Still, I learned a lot about their beliefs and values and we have had some very interesting, heated debates.

It was most difficult when my mother passed away in December, because the funeral was held in a catholic church at my mother's request. Since my brother and his spouse are JW's, they felt they could not go inside the church, and waited in the car throughout the service until we were done. We didn't want any family drama, so we respected their beliefs, but it seemed incomprehensible that anyone would miss their own mother's funeral because of religious beliefs. It was somewhat disturbing.

What I find most problematic about the JW religion is that it prohibits blood transfusions even if they are necessary to save someone's life. There have been a number of cases in the courts when JW parents were willing to let their children die when a transfusion would save their lives. The courts have all overridden the parents' religious beliefs and allowed the hospitals to proceed with the life-saving transfusions against the parents wishes.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/news/q...77d0b52c4a3651

My JW brother and I were having a few beers in a bar several years ago and we got into discussing it. Why would any religion deny a simple medical procedure that will save someone's life??? He argued quotes from the bible that man shall not draw blood from his fellow man. They believe the bible commands them to abstain from ingesting blood, and that avoiding transfusions respects God as being the only giver of life.

I had to attend my brother's wedding in a JW's Kingdom Hall. JW's believe a 'kingdom' to be a government ruled over by Jesus and will replace all human governments on earth. Apparently, Jesus will have 144,000 'co-rulers' in heaven and anyone 'deemed' worthy of eternal life will live on a transformed paradise of earth. They will then have the earth to themselves after Armageddon, which is a predicted war between God and Satan. Satan will die in the war, along with the people who don't worship Jehovah, meaning anyone who is not a JW is doomed to die in a fiery, horrific death.

Jehovah's Witnesses believe their allegiance belongs to God's Kingdom, which they view as an actual government. They refrain from saluting the flag of any country or singing national anthems which they believe are forms of worship. They do not get involved in politics or elections since they don't recognize political parties as governments, since the only real government is God's Kingdom. On the other hand, we can't blame them for Donald Trump!

Personally, I'm an athiest, always have been. I do believe that people have the right to their religious beliefs, so long as they don't impose them on others, and I understand religion can provide comfort to a large segment of the population. However, after a number of discussions with my brother and his wife, Jehovah's Witnesses have always seemed a bit, well, cultish to me.

Last edited by Starrunner; 17-May-2017 at 03:33.

Quote Originally Posted by MommyandMattling View Post
    The irony of this, is that the person who left the pamphlet, at one time in their life, most likely was afraid and found comfort in the very religion that they are attempting to share.

so...Is it the idea of people taking comfort in something that you cannot that bothers you?

Or the idea that other people are more "gullible" then you, and its enjoyable to imagine a sense of self-assured superiority?

I guess what I am trying to say is, that under the pre-text that these pamphlets are left as negative incentives towards some insidious form of brain washing, it's showing a pretty jaded and self-assuming view of how the world functions.

As opposed to viewing the act as nothing more then every other religion does, in that it offers hope through their doctrine, and attempts to perpetuate itself through new followers.
    I'm sure it's a lot different in the united states, here I rarely see any other religion promoting such propaganda, It only ever seems to be the one religion that pushes you to join there religion, or putting pamphlets in your letter box. (somewhat cult like) I knew a few who tried getting evolution banned in school etc, (It's probs normal for most religions to do that in the USA) but in Australia it's not something you see too often, It's always the one group.

Sure you can say tons of religions do this, while that most likely is true, this one religion seems very cult like compared to the rest, that being said I've got no problem what people worship or practice, I can't find comfort in religion because I see it as it is.

It's more in movies, you've got religion themed (mostly christian movies) here, I've watched a few growing up, but wasn't ever raised in religion.

I'm mostly talking about "general" religious propaganda though, It's just I've only ever seen church of Scientology or JW's propaganda, but obviously exists in some form for a lot of religions. So it's the only example I can give.

In Australia you rarely see religious propaganda other than the one group, that being said It's most likely different in the USA, maybe. I'm not too sure haven't been there. (you do have that creation museum in the USA, bill boards etc)

I'm just pissed off there using recent events, and using that as a scare tactic to join there religion, sure it brings people comfort, but I don't like the way its executed. I don't exactly agree with "end of the world propaganda" because it does scare people even more than it's needed.

It would be no different than saying, the world is gonna end, buy this bomb shelter and supplies for $4999,99 BUY NOW while stocks last. (I've seen a few infomericals from the USA kinda funny but it scares people into doing stupid crap.)
    Last edited by LittleJess; 15-May-2017 at 15:44.

When I know the jehovah's witnesseses are on my street i get my occult collection together and loudly play prercorded latin chants that sound sinister. They usually run once they see the black hood.

Before I begin:

I firmly believe in the right of anyone to believe in whatever they want. If you wish to believe in the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster (it's real; look it up), more power to you. My view of religion is and has always been this: Your religion is perfectly fine with me as long as you don't try to impose your beliefs on anyone else.

Two of the so-called "major" religions, Christianity and Islam, have historically failed the second clause of the above statement in enormous ways, Christianity far worse than Islam. In fact, when looked at on a historical scale, it is only recently, and only from people on the extremist edges of the religion, that we have seen conversion to Islam as an issue at all*, whereas it has been the bread and butter of mainstream Christianity since its foundation. I once told a Catholic priest that I thought Christianity was responsible for most of the wars, death, and bloodshed in the last two millennia. I was actually trying to get a rise out of him (I was in that kind of mood), but he totally agreed with me; we ended up having a great discussion.

Lately, the extremists of Christianity have been trying to impose their warped view of their religion on the rest of us; it is every bit as bad as the extremists of Islam. But I don't mean to hijack the thread in a new direction: all of that was meant as a preamble to my thoughts on Jehovah's Witnesses.

Starrunner's detailed description of JW beliefs is exactly why I do NOT take any time to talk to them whenever they come around. Despite their historical failures, mainstream religions (and here I include, in addition to Christianity and Islam, Buddhism, Judaism, and Hinduism; I do not include African religions, Shamanism, Sikhism, Juche, or Spiritism, as I know little about them, though all have more adherents than Judaism according to recent rankings), have at least this much in common: clear, specific, comprehensible ideologies. Within themselves, they make sense. That is simply not the case for some of the fringe religions of the world. There are a lot of religions around that believe things that are pretty hard to take. JWs and Christian Scientists are two branches of Christianity, and as such still reside on the much lighter side of that scale, but (as Starrunner noted) any religion that forbids life-saving medical intervention is one that should automatically be suspect, and anyway the JW version of the Apocalypse (Jesus and 144K co-rulers?) is beyond bizarre.

I tried to read The Watchtower once, when a couple of JWs I made the mistake of letting into my house left it for me. It was (as Binary stated) propagandistic and full of "see, the Bible is full of stuff that adheres to your life" things, but it plainly was an effort to persuade people to drop their affiliations or non-affiliations and join this semi-cultish extension of Christianity for their own good, so they might be one of those 144K survivors after the final battle.

On the way loopier side of the scale, at least as far as I'm concerned, are Mormons. I've met and talked with them, and they are always really nice and sincere, but seriously: their belief system? It's hard to respect a religion that utterly tosses history, science, geography and logic to the curb. And that isn't even talking about magic underwear. And out on the far fringe there is Scientology, not a religion at all but seriously a cult designed to make money for its founder: religion as ponzi scheme.

But as for Jehovah's Witnesses:

tl;dr I let them in once; I regretted it.

* Wars of territorial conquest do not automatically translate into wars of religious conversion. The former, as in the creation of the Ottoman Empire, respect the resident religions (example: Sikh). The latter, as in the Crusades, are undertaken with the primary goal of conversion.

The problem the US has with religion is partly because we took in the religiously persecuted for so long. Those persecuted with strong beliefs came to to continue their strong beliefs.

It makes me wonder if a stong sense in belief is linked biologically. That could explain why we still have so many religious nut jobs here.

Quote Originally Posted by Binary View Post
    I'm sure it's a lot different in the united states, here I rarely see any other religion promoting such propaganda, It only ever seems to be the one religion that pushes you to join there religion, or putting pamphlets in your letter box. (somewhat cult like) I knew a few who tried getting evolution banned in school etc, (It's probs normal for most religions to do that in the USA) but in Australia it's not something you see too often, It's always the one group.
    Here in Canada, it's disproportionately JWs who do this, but I have gotten pamphlets from Mormons, and even from a nice group of Muslim women. (Although their aim was more raising awareness than converting people - I'm sure they'd love to have converts, but they mostly just wanted me to know that Islam isn't evil.)

When I was a kid, we used to run and hide from the Jehovah's Witness people. I don't believe in any of their tenants, but I do know Bibles can be deadly and kill you enemy. You simply load thousands of Bibles into a 18 wheeler truck carrier and drop it on your enemy from a plane flying at 10,000 ft. Bamn! Squash! You'rd dead in the name of Jesus. Just what the church had in mind.

Even as a Methodist, I don't want someone's faith or their version of Christianity shoved at me. Everyone has the right to be left alone and in peace.