Answering the question of older children in diapers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cottontail said:
Really? There have been a few studies, most with obvious biases, that have tried to compare the environmental impacts of cloth diapers and disposables. But I have yet to hear of a single, even semi-credible study being done that compares diapers and toilets. It would be mildly amusing from an academic standpoint, I suppose, but I doubt it will ever be done because it wouldn't inform any actual decisions. Or did I misunderstand you?

Actually yes. Just looking at the environmental impact of harvesting cotton, it is not as environmentally friendly as most would lead you to believe. Add in the water and soaps used in cleaning them, and it isn't great.

Don't get me wrong here, disposables are not environmentally friendly either. Luckily the oil used to make them ends up right back in the ground. While I too would like to see an official study on all of this, the best we can come up with is it's a draw.

As a parent you would get tired of changing your kid's diapers and wiping their butts and even buying them. You would want to potty train them so you wouldn't have to keep buying them. Plus most preschools want kids out of diapers and fully potty trained to have them enrolled in their school. Day cares are the same way too for certain ages like two years or three years. If your kid is one of those rare kids that failed potty training, then the public school can't turn your kid away because every kid has a right to an education, it's the law. Private schools are allowed to deny a kid an education but not public schools. Preschools are private schools and day cares are private too so that is why they can deny a child if they want. They're not funded by the state.

- - - Updated - - -

I remember the author of Ashley Diaper Adventures saying on his website that parents who potty train their kids before they are emotionally ready because they are tired of changing them and buying them shouldn't have kids. he believed kids should stay in them as long as they want before they are emotionally ready and he spoke from his own experience of being potty trained and how it was forced and he wasn't emotionally ready and how "traumatizing" it was for him. Now after having a little girl, he has changed his view on all this and now says kids should be encouraged to potty train and you encourage it by showing them videos about it, show them the potty, read books about it to them to get their interest and wait when they are ready to try it. He doesn't say anymore you should let them wear diapers as long as they want.

I am sure lot of ABDLs who have the mentality of let kids quit wearing diapers when they want to will change their minds when they have children. I don't have an age set for when kids should be out of them by because it depends on the child. I realize you do force it but you do it in a gentle way like showing them the potty and showing them big boy/girl panties and having them pick them out, using rewards for them peeing in the potty, showing them videos and reading books to them about it and having them watch you go. You give them a push to have them decide when they show signs of being ready.

Calico said:
I remember the author of Ashley Diaper Adventures saying on his website that parents who potty train their kids before they are emotionally ready because they are tired of changing them and buying them shouldn't have kids.

The honest truth there is that there's a lot of parents out there that shouldn't have kids but do. (and some that just keep having more) Forced acceleration of potty training ranks very low on the list of "reasons you should have pulled out".

I'm only 20 and have never thought about, if and when I have kids, keeping them in diapers longer than they need to be. For one like the OP stated, it's expensive and it just wouldn't be fair on the child. I've always said I'd train my kids first and if they showed interest in wanting to wear then I'd allow it but talk to them about it and they'd have to buy the diapers themselves and change etc

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah I never said to not do it, I said not to force it at some magical age, there are loads of advantages not being tied to diaper all the time, I was forced out and had a need for them, I wet the bed and went though total hell.

I don't understand why people even care if the kid across the street wears a diaper longer. I have never understood that, my step sister would rather have her son piss the bed then have a diaper, it's a normal condition kids of his age have but god forbid using a diaper, The same applied to me as well, it's just firkin stupid

- - - Updated - - -

Cottontail said:
Really? There have been a few studies, most with obvious biases, that have tried to compare the environmental impacts of cloth diapers and disposables. But I have yet to hear of a single, even semi-credible study being done that compares diapers and toilets. It would be mildly amusing from an academic standpoint, I suppose, but I doubt it will ever be done because it wouldn't inform any actual decisions. Or did I misunderstand you?

well the debate with cloth and disposables will go on and i never included a comparison with a toilet, that by far is the best way to go if that option is available to you

DracoAmericanus said:
Yeah I never said to not do it, I said not to force it at some magical age, there are loads of advantages not being tied to diaper all the time, I was forced out and had a need for them, I wet the bed and went though total hell.

I don't understand why people even care if the kid across the street wears a diaper longer. I have never understood that, my step sister would rather have her son piss the bed then have a diaper, it's a normal condition kids of his age have but god forbid using a diaper, The same applied to me as well, it's just firkin stupid

- - - Updated - - -

well the debate with cloth and disposables will go on and i never included a comparison with a toilet, that by far is the best way to go if that option is available to you
I had the same problem, I had frequent infections because there was only one bathroom and whenever I tried to go to the toilet as a kid, I had to wait because almost always somebody was in the bathroom, so I ended holding it for ages wh w I wasn't sure if they left, I would get infections from holding it nad I would wet myself. I have no idea why they didn't try diapers with me for long, they must of been tired washing my clothes

DracoAmericanus said:
peer pressure will have an effect but in my case I did not care and I turned out fairly well, kids should be left to grow out of it at there own pace, but past a certain age I would teach the kid change them self to teach them that it has it's down sides.

"I don't think it's a good idea developmentally to allow a child to continue wearing past potty training age" I strongly disagree with that, wearing a diaper does not stunt your development, provided that moderation is in use
But I do like your idea of using them as a reward, I wish my parents did that, I might have avoided a few incidents where police where involved, lol

Okay, I think we need to clarify context here. I'm coming from my own personal experience of discovering diapers for pleasure at a later age in middle childhood well beyond my potty training. It sounds like you're coming from a background of being forced out of diapers too early and trying to get yourself back into them through childhood. Am I on the right track? If we're going to continue this conversation I need to make sure we're talking about the same circumstances, otherwise we're going to be talking right past each other.

When I say it's developmentally not a good idea to allow a child to continue wearing past potty training age, I specifically mean allowing the child to wear CONSISTENTLY (i.e. 24/7) after they have been potty trained. If accidents or bedwetting episodes are a problem, I don't have an issue with using diapers on a child and I don't believe in shaming them for it because I consider that a medical necessity. If a child in my particular circumstances was allowed to use diapers for fun in moderation in the privacy of their own home (or at least underneath clothing every once in a while outdoors) then I'm not worried about it. I just grow concerned when people talk about allowing kids to STAY in diapers because I jump to worst case scenario. I think we're both in agreement though that moderation is the key phrase here, and kids do not inherently have moderation skills for things they passionately enjoy. That's why good parents and caretakers establish boundaries to teach children those moderating skills. Without that moderating boundary, yes, it absolutely negatively affects their development and personal independence if they know an adult is going to come change them whenever it is needed. However, you have already addressed having children perform changes on their own.

And the environmental impact is over blown, only the spun polyester shell and inner liner are non biodegradable, the fluff in diapers is mostly wood pulp and that does decay, and it's not like we are talking about a lot of kids, the percent is fairly low that want to wear at older ages, and since you mentioned the environmental impact think about our group, it's hypocritical coming from a group like ours. disposables or cloth have an impact on the environment. and the last figures I saw it came out as a draw, for cloth, washing them uses water, electrical power and cleaning chemicals a disposable in mass production uses less energy then cleaning a cloth one but the shell does not degrade, they can be burned to generate power, I know of one experiment where they gather up "spent diapers" from nursing homes and burn them in a power plant to generate power, the wood pulp for disposables and the cloth for cloth diapers are both renewable.

but this coming from a group where a lot of us wear for non medical needs, need not argue about the environmental impact of diapers

I'm not advocating perfection in environmental impact. There would be no such thing. But I also need to clarify that my usage is SIGNIFICANTLY different than most on this site. The reason my name so rarely pops up on this forum is because my binge purge cycles mean that I wear maybe a few times for 1-2 weeks every couple of months at most. I have packs of diapers from YEARS ago. So my carbon footprint is radically different than say a child who wants to wear for pleasure on a 24/7 basis (which I was initially under the impression that we were discussing).

That being said, the environmental concern should ALWAYS be up for discussion and consideration. Our consumer based economies don't often allow us to have zero waste products. Therefore, we always have the opportunity to make better choices to reduce our impact, even if we cannot eliminate our impact. And, in your examples provided, you have neglected to address the SAP gel in the absorbent core. Wood pulp is just a portion of the core, and that ratio is different depending on the diaper. Bambinos have HUGE SAP content. Coming back to the burned diaper shells, I have to wonder how effective the air filters are on those power generators, because burning large amounts of plastic backed diapers seems like a huge air waste hazard to me. Plus, you mentioned this by saying, "I know of one experiment..." Anecdote does not equal data. One experiment does not account for the rest of our country. So while that may be a convenient example, it doesn't address the reality of the situation.

- - - Updated - - -

CookieMonstah said:
I'm only 20 and have never thought about, if and when I have kids, keeping them in diapers longer than they need to be. For one like the OP stated, it's expensive and it just wouldn't be fair on the child. I've always said I'd train my kids first and if they showed interest in wanting to wear then I'd allow it but talk to them about it and they'd have to buy the diapers themselves and change etc

This. My thoughts exactly.

- - - Updated - - -

DracoAmericanus said:

Well damn, dude, that's horrible that you had to experience that. No kid should have to experience that and you're right, forcing children out when they're not ready isn't okay. But ENCOURAGING them and getting them to consider that option to meet you halfway is precisely what I advocate for. When I hear about people 'allowing children to stay in diapers' I admittedly jump to the worst possible scenario and imagine someone not even trying to potty train. But I think we're speaking from different contexts here.

As for why people make a big deal, it's a basic matter of social status and perceived weakness. Is it fair? No. But life isn't fair and not everyone is nice. Rather than trying to change the world to fit my perfect image, I prefer to adapt myself to survive in the world. The kids I work with, I always teach them that they can control their immediate environments and choose their friends, but they sometimes can't choose the people they work with or interact with and therefore need to learn how to adapt to circumstances rather than expecting circumstances to adapt to them. As for your sister, I can't speak on her situation. Idk whether money is tight or if she feels like she might be a failure if her kid regresses to diapers again. It's hard to say. But unless you have a way to convince her (which may cause strain between you two) then I recommend you try to find some compromise. Like her son uses pull-ups when he's not at home, but at home they stick to vinyl sheets or something. Idk, that's between you and her. Or maybe it's not if it's her child and she's not willing to listen.

Yeah BigKid25 this post

"Okay, I think we need to clarify context here. I'm coming from my own personal experience of discovering diapers for pleasure at a later age in middle childhood well beyond my potty training. It sounds like you're coming from a background of being forced out of diapers too early and trying to get yourself back into them through childhood. Am I on the right track? If we're going to continue this conversation I need to make sure we're talking about the same circumstances, otherwise we're going to be talking right past each other"

Yeah I was forced out of them too soon, at night during my night time preying (don't know if that's spelled right) I would ask god to help me stay dry, it was a huge amount of stress, my mom hated diapers even if I put them on myself as a kid and not having her do anything but just get diapers was still not allowed. when she had cancer and I was talking to my mom she noticed the package of Attends we got for her and she just stared in anger at that package just sitting on the floor. I just don't understand that

As for my sister she had the same type of felling her husband put him in diaper at night and take it off in the morning, my sister totally refused to deal with it at all (my uncle got him ready for bed) and we had some really heated arguments over it, he was 5 at the time and was wet 90% of the time in the morning and they only put him back into diapers after his bed started to smell bad from the urine even though they had a bed protector, they could afford the diapers, I did a cost analysis on diapers for him and his diapers where 12 cents each at that time while goodnights where about 7 times the cost, I just don't understand that a pissed in and very unsanitary bed and sheets is better then a diaper, it's not logical.

I don't know how long that the SAP gel would last in the environment, I will need to look that up and for burning them I believe they did that at an incinerator equipped for that
task as they are used for trash as well

as for a carbon foot print I try to do the best I can, I have a grid tie solar panel array that I put on my roof and here we lose power a but more then normal so they are back up power as well, I even have a battery powered lawn mower that I intercepted from a junk yard, it has 2 12 volt lead acid batteries as was scrapped out for because one of the two batteries failed so it was a really easy fix for me and I love that thing, eventually I am going to add a junction box out side so I can recharge the mower from only solar power

Sconded, IF I did have a kid I could never bring myself to force them out of diapers. Now encourage them to potty train, and make them change themselves is a different story all together.

People who find diaper dependency appealing don't seem to have a grasp on money or connivance.

Yeah before having kids what many AB/DLs don't realise is the amount of diapers a child goes through a day, fair enough it does slow down as they get older but still like as a newborn you can go through a pack of 20 diapers in like 2 days, meaning for the first month you need like 300 diapers, even though changes become less and less, they keep growing bigger meaning you will keep having to work your way up the sizes. Overall you're looking at like 6,000 diapers over an infants lifetime. Let's say diapers are on average like 70p/75c (depends on brand) that's like £4,200/$4,500. Then you have to factor in other stuff like all the other accessories, clothes, toys. Plus you have to feed them and yourself and look after your family. It really becomes a burden unless you're really rich.

rennecfox said:
People who find diaper dependency appealing don't seem to have a grasp on money or connivance.

Everyone's got their hobbies. Yours may seem like a complete waste of time and money to me. It's all about what you get out of it. If it costs money, but has value to you, then it's not money wasted.

It's all just a question of responsible spending.

rennecfox said:

I do, and yet I most certainly do. I very much am dependent on diapers- both mentally and physically. Which I find very appealing. I also have a good enough grasp on money to where I don't have to worry about money.

Oh, and before I committed to being physically dependent on diapers I went through what's known as timed voiding. Ever hear of it? I had my watch alarm going off every...single...waking....hour... And every hour I was going to the bathroom. You want IN-conveninet, try that. Diapers a WAY more convenient.

It seems like people are putting WAY TOO MUCH thought in this.

Forcing a child into potty training? Unless you're referring to force in a abusive context then it's not forcing, it's encouraging and training, at the age of 2 your mind isn't developed at the stage to make a decision like, "I wanna keep wearing diapers."

Let your child decide when they want to.... Completely disagree with this, children become complacent very easy at young ages if not motivated to do a task.
Unless they have a medical issue then there is no reason not train them at an age where they are able to start. When I say medical I'm including psychological reasons too.

@DracoAmericanus
You said, you like the idea of letting them wear as a reward? Reward for what? Why would a diaper be a reward?
Your situation was clearly one of neglect for your health issues, but that doesn't justify the argument.

Back to the idea of letting your child choose when they want:
Social Life
Child chooses to keep wearing and is at the age of 7 and still hasn't been trained and wears diapers to school, but NOT because of medical reasons but because mom and dad decided their child doesn't have to learn if they don't want to. Think about what they'll have to deal with from other kids. If it's medical reasons it's more acceptable, but if it's out of laziness that won't go over well with others in society.
And it can affect some physical development in the bladder and bowel, like any muscle that when not used becomes weaker. Yes it can be easily fixed through toilet training.

Train when they are capable of doing so, so they understand what's expected.

@w0lfpack91
Saying they have ADHD and that's why you have them wear....... ADHD has nothing to do with your bladder or bowels, I have ADHD myself. ADHD can be easily treated and controlled. As for the heavy contact and jolts causing it, I understand completely.

But for this topic to even be going on about ABDLs wanting to let their kids wear diapers instead of training seems wrong, and for some it seems like they want to live their ABDL fantasies through their kids which is completely disturbing.

edward321 said:

@w0lfpack91
Saying they have ADHD and that's why you have them wear....... ADHD has nothing to do with your bladder or bowels, I have ADHD myself. ADHD can be easily treated and controlled. As for the heavy contact and jolts causing it, I understand completely.

But for this topic to even be going on about ABDLs wanting to let their kids wear diapers instead of training seems wrong, and for some it seems like they want to live their ABDL fantasies through their kids which is completely disturbing.

I think you really need to go back-and re read what I posted. The fact that this post even exists in the 1st place is because I'm tired of having to rehash this every time the question is asked so I wanted a URL link to a post that already had the math done.

I don't FORCE my son to do anything. Yes he has ADHD and no it doesn't directly affect the bladder, but it does affect his attention span and he gets distracted easily. Both myself and his coach agreed that he Is better using them during soccer because he easily gets distracted and has led to several on field accidents. Martial arts can result in a kicked bladder causing Un-intentional voiding, and motocross Requires more focus So he often doesn't even realize he has to go, other than those 3 events and bed time he is not allowed to have them. My brother has not had them for 2 years and he was also ONLY AT NIGHT.

[removed]

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Slomo said:
I do, and yet I most certainly do. I very much am dependent on diapers- both mentally and physically. Which I find very appealing. I also have a good enough grasp on money to where I don't have to worry about money.

Oh, and before I committed to being physically dependent on diapers I went through what's known as timed voiding. Ever hear of it? I had my watch alarm going off every...single...waking....hour... And every hour I was going to the bathroom. You want IN-conveninet, try that. Diapers a WAY more convenient.

I'm talking in comparison to people with normal levels of bladder and bowel control and also the hidden costs, suddenly sacrificing that is a major expense, it requires a major expense with lifestyle change and may end up costing you relations. You have a good paying job, thats wonderful, not everyone is that blessed. We have one story I keep seeing, person keeps trying to make themselves incontinent, then running into problems because of cost, fear of acceptance.

Some people make it an irreversible budget consideration here, how can one be 100 percent certain sudden devastating expences might not show up and leave them scrambling for every cent they have? I mean yeah nothing wrong with enjoying wearing, same as any other addiction, but if you make it a dependency then its not something you can stop if you have to tighten the belt, which given it's cost is when it really hurts.

rennecfox said:
I'm talking in comparison to people with normal levels of bladder and bowel control and also the hidden costs, suddenly sacrificing that is a major expense, it requires a major expense with lifestyle change and may end up costing you relations. You have a good paying job, thats wonderful, not everyone is that blessed. We have one story I keep seeing, person keeps trying to make themselves incontinent, then running into problems because of cost, fear of acceptance.

Some people make it an irreversible budget consideration here, how can one be 100 percent certain sudden devastating expences might not show up and leave them scrambling for every cent they have? I mean yeah nothing wrong with enjoying wearing, same as any other addiction, but if you make it a dependency then its not something you can stop if you have to tighten the belt, which given it's cost is when it really hurts.

Ah, now this you make a good point on. Yes there are many that come here while on a binge, and will say they want to be completely incontinent. And then with no further thought do make that irresponsible attempt to become incontinent. Only through that constant wearing does their binge feeling go away, and leave them regretting it and wishing to purge while complaing about cost.

Still though, there are others who do wish for it, and through slowly adapting will obtain it without any regrets. This is why I like the 12 month program so much. It naturally gets you to unpotty train, and is slow enough that if cost or regret becomes an issue months after starting it, you can simply repotty train.

And forget diapers, how can anyone be certain they will be able to affort a house payment for 20 years? Or food for life for that matter. Not many can unless they have a monthly stipend. When diapers become a true necessity, they also get a bigger priority among bill paying. If I have to "tighten my belt" in the future, cutting eating out and all entertainment would come first. Heck, even loosing power to my house would be a cut before my diapers are.

A lot of people don't realize they will have that kind or priority, and they are the ones you see complaining about it. You probably won't see them complaining about missing a movie because of their diaper costs though.

And back on topic, this same prioritizing and slow adaptaptation would also apply to someone's kid staying in diapers (for whatever reason).

I would have no problem with my kids wearing diapers if they were still having accidents. A wet diaper is better than waking up in a wet pad and smelling like piss every morning. A wet diaper is better than wetting your pants and having everyone see your accident and then you have to clean it up. You wouldn't choose this on yourself so why force this on your child? To me it's just cruel.

But however when it comes to potty training, you do sometimes have to keep diapers off them because some kids will just use their pull up as their diaper or not even try to hold it so without diapers, they try harder at holding it and making it to the bathroom and willing to go to the bathroom when you tell them to and will go to the toilet more often before they start playing so they wouldn't forget to go potty because you know how small children are when they get too into something. It really depends on the child. I still have my daughter wear a pull up in public and she doesn't use it as a diaper. I just have it on her in case she has an accident because kids that young have a small bladder and can't hold it as long. It just makes it easier for me too.

- - - Updated - - -

bambinod said:
Everyone's got their hobbies. Yours may seem like a complete waste of time and money to me. It's all about what you get out of it. If it costs money, but has value to you, then it's not money wasted.

I only go through about 1-2 diapers a day and that is with premium diapers, not those cheap diapers like Prevail or American Tena, or Walgreens. So doing the math, that is like 60 diapers a month if I used two a day. Unless I poop that is different but then I use the toilet so I wouldn't have to change my diaper sooner. Using premium diapers is actually cheaper even though it costs more to buy a case.

Calico said:
I would have no problem with my kids wearing diapers if they were still having accidents. A wet diaper is better than waking up in a wet pad and smelling like piss every morning. A wet diaper is better than wetting your pants and having everyone see your accident and then you have to clean it up. You wouldn't choose this on yourself so why force this on your child? To me it's just cruel.

But however when it comes to potty training, you do sometimes have to keep diapers off them because some kids will just use their pull up as their diaper or not even try to hold it so without diapers, they try harder at holding it and making it to the bathroom and willing to go to the bathroom when you tell them to and will go to the toilet more often before they start playing so they wouldn't forget to go potty because you know how small children are when they get too into something. It really depends on the child. I still have my daughter wear a pull up in public and she doesn't use it as a diaper. I just have it on her in case she has an accident because kids that young have a small bladder and can't hold it as long. It just makes it easier for me too.

- - - Updated - - -

I'm in agreement with this.
As a DL, I'm rather sensitive to those that may need diapers, even if they can walk. My DL desires plays second fiddle, to those who may still need diapers, no matter their age.
And while I'm not against potty training, I think two years old may be too early. In fact, it would be interesting to see if early potty training leads to bedwetting for some kids, and I believe it I does. A lot of parents and society tend to push children through their childhood way too fast.
It's also pretty hypocritical to complain about the cost of diapers for a child when you wear diapers as well, whether for need, fun, or both.

edward321 said:
It seems like people are putting WAY TOO MUCH thought in this.

Forcing a child into potty training? Unless you're referring to force in a abusive context then it's not forcing, it's encouraging and training, at the age of 2 your mind isn't developed at the stage to make a decision like, "I wanna keep wearing diapers."

Let your child decide when they want to.... Completely disagree with this, children become complacent very easy at young ages if not motivated to do a task.
Unless they have a medical issue then there is no reason not train them at an age where they are able to start. When I say medical I'm including psychological reasons too.

@DracoAmericanus
You said, you like the idea of letting them wear as a reward? Reward for what? Why would a diaper be a reward?
Your situation was clearly one of neglect for your health issues, but that doesn't justify the argument.

I meant that for a situation where your child likes to wear diapers but still needs to go though the trials and tribulations of potty training, the idea is to let them wear as a reward for doing something good, one of my neighbors did this with her son and it seemed to work, he did not wear out of the house but was allowed to wear if he did something good, He got all exited about it. I don't know the fine details but I think it was a good idea and made it less of a problem, for them it worked. I don't see how that would be a bad thing as you are still potty training with out all the "only babies wear diapers shit"

on another thing if I had a kid that would regularly wet in pull ups I would switch back to diapers, just the damned cost would warrant that. pull ups are almost 7 times the cost, it's a waste of money and since cost seems to be the major focus here, another way that I have seen for potty training that gets rid of the big kid and baby crap is to just a flat out bribe, my sister did that with her 3rd child, stay dry for X amount of time then you get a toy, in her case it was a bike. she was happy and shame was not part of the training.

the one sole hatred I have on how people potty train there kids is using shame and saying only babies wear diapers, I remember what it was like and it f#$%ing was the wrong way to go

The idea of only babies wear diapers needs to die, and die horribly, that method of training is outdated and only causes problems for older children that still need them and if that's later then some kids then leave them alone, even if it's just an emotional support,if you had a kid you know they are expensive, get over it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back